Not asleep, not awake, feel unable to move?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Sep 18, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If I am in horrific pain or absolutely exhausted,I sometimes get under the covers and it is like I am not awake and not asleep. I also have the unable to move feelings but don't know if I really can't move.

I had a diagnosis of narcolepsy a long time ago which can mean anthing from excessive daytime sleepiness to actual cataplexy. I am not sure if it was trumped by CFSFM and really don't think I have CFS.

There is something called "sleep paralysis" which can happen with narcolepsy as well the general population but with Narcolepsy it is much more frequent, sometimes to the point of being unable to drive and completely disabled.

I don't think this is what I am experiencing. My psychiatrist said it might be a physical response to the pain.

Until reading a couple of posts today where people were describing this same feeling, I had forgotten about "sleep paralysis".

If it is not sleep paralysis, which is neurological, I would guess, again I do not know for sure, that it could be neurological.

Anyone else experience these feelings?

This is kind of cut and paste to my response to a post. I am too tired to be original, LOL!!

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'd have to say, Waking Coma is probably a good name for it.

Lately, I've been getting something similar, but kind of scary. I'll be in bed and not be able to move, but I'll feel like if I fall asleep, I might not wake up, as in ever. It's weird. It might be from the flexeril the doc gave me recently. But I have found, I think when I do sleep on that drug, I'm hitting a deeper level of sleep.
  3. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I have experienced "sleep paralysis" quite a lot. I hate it!! I've noticed that it occures when I am on my back and in a somewhat semi-sleep state. What I mean by that is,I'm able to tell myself to relax and then I'm able to wake up and move. It's darn scary tho,feel as tho I'm suffocating along with not being able to move. I pretty much don't allow myself to sleep on my back anymore in order to avoind it!~~Jeanne
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Yes I have been experiencing this more and more over the last few years as both CFS and FMS have been getting progressively worse in me. It's not sleep paralysis for me, I've had that before this illness when I was a youngster and that's completely different. That's when you wake up mentally but cannot move or talk at all, then I think I'd fall back asleep and wake up normally as if it never happened.

This Waking Coma is what happens to me when I've already had enough sleep in the past 24 hours but I suddenly feel like I must sleep right now so I lay down to do so but then never fall asleep, yet I'm not fully awake either. Usually I am also feeling really rotten and in tremendous pain when this happens. My head feels stuffed with cotton more than usual and I cannot get up or respond to people talking to me. It feels just like I'm slipping into a coma. I drift off but not to sleep and then drift back but can't "wake up" or get up.

This goes on for hours. I really hate it.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member