Not feeling any better, problems at work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, Mar 19, 2007.

1. cczub

cczub New Member

This year has been the worst. I got sick at the end of 2006 and it took me until the 2nd week in Jan to knock it out. As usual, I went into a flare that lasted until the middle of Feburary. At the end of Febuary I came down with the flu and boy did that kick the crap out of me.

Now I'm in another flare. My daily routine M-F is:
    Wake up @6am.. Takes me 30-40 minutes to actually get out of bed.

Work until 4-4:30

Take a Vicodin as soon as I get in the door

Make dinner

Lay in bed until I fall asleep around 10pm

On the weekends I try to get some stuff done around the house but the past 2 months it's been mainly laying in bed.

I've been trying to take it on the easy side at work because I am extremely fatigued and in the pain range of 5-8 on a daily basis.

Well, today I was called in to have a "talk". They mentioned that I haven't been putting in alot of effort lately. They said it's taking me alot longer than it should to get my tasks done. This went on for about 10 minutes! I told them," Do you remember when I told you close to a year ago I have Fibro?" They thought I was "better" since I hadn't mentioned anything to them and had been doing alot for work at the end of the year...

I told them it's a DD that doesn't go away. THey suggested I see another doctor since I'm feeling so lously lately.. I told them it took me 2 years to find this doctor and he's activley treating me...

I'm so fustrated now. I don't feel my job is at risk right now. They want me to be more upfront with them about how I'm feeling..

Sorry for the long post.. I'm hard enough on myslef cause I know I'm "slacking" off at work and with everything at home.. I had been working hard to hide it from everyone and am down on myself because I couldn't keep it up.

Thanks for listening.

Chris
  2. Crystal

Crystal New Member

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it. At least your work is understanding. Rest up whenever you can....don't beat yourself up...you can't help it. I know how you feel...I work full time too...days off are usually just spent resting up hoping to make it through the next week! Hang in there..it'll get better!
  3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

You are doing the best that you can and that is perfectly fine. Don't try and keep up with what you THINK you should be doing. Just do what you can...that is all you can do and all that can be asked of you.

I am so sorry that your job gave you such a hassle today. I hope they can learn to be more understanding. I really hate when people don't understand these illnesses.

We do our best to not bring it up and complain about being sick. We hide it as best we can so that other people don't have to deal with it. THEN since we are doing that they just assume we are feeling fine.

SOOO frustrating!! I have CFS. My boyfriends father who we lived with for YEARS never paid any attention to anything but himself. He never noticed me feeling like crap I guess. (he has also made reference several times to it being in my head)

After years of being sick he one day I guess finally noticed for a change that I wasn't feeling well and said "Oh do you still have that". I was SOOOO angry!!!

I had told him before that I have CFS and that it doesn't go away. Plus all the years that I was sick and felt like crap everyday and he never noticed that I was sick.

Anyhow, you are certainly not alone. I know how frustrating and clueless people can be about our illnesses.

Just hang in there. You are doing the best that you can so don't let this get to you. I guess you just may have to remind them now and then that YES you are sick and that it doesn't go away.

Do ONLY what you can handle. Don't feel pressured to try to do more. That will only make you worse. Just be proud of yourself for the things that you are doing.

Good Luck and PLEASE take care of yourself and don't push yourself too hard.

Take Care!
    Pam
  4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I know... I got called in for one of those "talks" myself a few weeks ago...

It's a horrible feeling.

Hugs,
    Dona
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I thought you were describing my day. Do you have FMLA coverage?
  6. revlcb

revlcb New Member

"We do our best to not bring it up and complain about being sick. We hide it as best we can so that other people don't have to deal with it. THEN since we are doing that they just assume we are feeling fine."

We don't want to be considered a whiner, but then people assume we're better. It's hard to win here.

Do your best, what ever that may be on any given day. What more can you do?
  7. cczub

cczub New Member

I did overdo it yesterday and now I hurt bad.. Oh well.. Figured that one would happen.

The company I work for is not large enough to qualify for FMLA. I do get sick days but they are unofficial sick days and they don’t want to set that in stone either..

It’s just fustrating since I told them what was going on in writing close to a year ago. When I told them it’s not something that gets “cured” but treatment for the symptoms, they said maybe I should see another doctor. That ticked me off. I don’t know how to take it. I’ve worked for this company for close to 9 years. They were understanding when I told them a year ago but they all tend to have short term memory.

I only take sick days when I’m truly “sick”. I don’t take off for the FM and go to work many days that I should be home..

Thanks again for all the support.
  8. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I worked for 6mts after I got sick. I had a job that I loved but I just couldnt do it anymore. God has a way of working things out. A month before I had to take disability, I was moved from the position I had to another that was completly stress free and I still couldnt handle the pain.

One of the things my supervisor ask me when I left was if I had kept my old position would I still be leaving. I would have tried to stay because so many people counted on me but I would have had to leave anyway and everyone would have been upset with me.

Most of the time we ask, why me? What is my purpose now? I still dont have the answer to that but Ive come to accept this new life where Im home alone all day and trying to care for my wonderful husband who has never once made me feel bad. He eats alot of sandwiches and quick meals and I still miss working everyday.