Not Fibro doc says - disk problem

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovinlifeinAK, Jul 22, 2005.

1. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I went to the pain doctor and before I had my MRI he was positive that I had a disc problem. Low and behold I have a TORN disk in my low back.

He also thinks that I have in my neck as well. We went through every fall injury etc.... only one could have enough force to tear a disk and that was when my ex-husband pushed me straight back, hand on throat, from a standing position.

I went and got a cortisone shot and I am feeling so much better. If only the muscle weakness would go away I would be 100%. Just though I would share. The info I got from him and the physical therapist on the back was very educational. But no worries I won't leave, as I get fibro due to thyroid.
  2. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I had some cervical epidural injections a week ago and was quite sore for about three days, but now I believe it has helped with the more intense pain from a ruptured disk and associated nerve root problems caused by that a bone spur. It was kind of uncomfortable during the procedure, but was worth it. I guess the steroid shot you were given is similar.

Has anyone mentioned surgery? I've been told that if an ortho or neurosurgeon looked at my MRI they would be gung ho to operate. The pain doctors seem to be very hesitant about surgery. I think it is because some of their patients are people that have had surgery.

I find the pain from neck/lower back pain annoying. The intense headaches that often go on for a long time are really disabling. Hope you are doing well.
  3. rigby

rigby New Member

I was sent to neurosurgeron for my C spine he said he could fuse 3 of my spine but with FM he never got the results his patient wanted they have to have a lot on neuro problems like leakage for bladder or colon to name just a few was not in no hurry to help me said with FM pain, patient think it's will help their problems like I wanted my hands not to be numb and get rid of these head aches. He was a nice guy told me I could go for a second opinion. But he's suppose to be the best in the area if he thinks surgery not needed right now I'm willing to wait.
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I had a torn disc in my back, but it healed. Then, my pain docs did a percutaneous decompression, where they go in through a needle guided by x-ray and put an ultrasonic wand against the disc, it heats the interior, and as it heals, the disc is pulled back into position.

So far, it has worked for me.
  5. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

Thanks for your replies. They did refer to it as a epidural shot. So far the only lingering problem is bouts of muscle weakness. The excercises they gave me really do work. It is only day 5, doc doesn't know if it will work long term as he said he suspects a larger tear.

txfmmom - the wand band thingy is the last resort. If it works so well on my lower part of the body, I can not wait to get my neck in order.

I still have soreness in my tendor points - especially on the outside of my knee!!! I am just glad to get rid of the pins and needles, also the feeling that my muscles were trying to pull away from the bones.

Anyhow I will keep you updated, sorry did not respond earlier - it was one of the kids birthday parties this weekend. Oh yeah acesnanna - I like how you put that maybe I will "graduated" from fibromyalgia....but I couldn't leave this site - there are just way to many nice supporting people here!! gentle hugs.
  6. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

that now that I do not have any back pain, my neck is killing me. I wish I did not have to wait to make sure the shot fixes my low back......
  7. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

another epidural. I hope this one lasts!! But I do not think it will. The old symptoms are starting to come back. I have noticed that if I miss the PT I am VERY stiff in the morning. I also am being impatient as the base of my skull and upper part of my neck HURT now that my hips and back do not.

I have learned so much the doc and the PT guy!! Tomorrow is day 7 - that is when the nurse will call and I tell them what is going on and see what the doc wants to do.

Just thought I would give an update.
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Sat. the results of MRI showed I have spinal stenosis, resulting of scoliosis. My lower vertebra are twisted and pressing and stretching spinal cord and the 8 nerves running out from them are all pinched. I have such horrid pain most of the time and my legs not only hurt so bad but are sometimes numb. I think that it is also in upper back.

I have an appt. with neurosurgeon in 3 weeks. Should give me shots - don't know how long he will try it.

I just pray for some relief of pain.

Good luck
  9. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I bet you do look for relief from the pain! Yikes! That just gives me the willies reading what your back looks like. You poor poor soul. I wish you the best of luck, and a pain free day/days!!