Not going anywhere because I fear the Swine Flu, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, May 5, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I know I am going overboard, but any little ailment (like the cold) has me down for 2 weeks

I had a flu last year that it took me 2 months to get over.

I am petrified of getting this flu, even though thankfully it hasn't shown up in our area YET, thank God

What are you all doing to protect yourself? I feel like an idiot as I see everyone else go about their daily routines, but I am afraid of even going in a store.

2 weeks ago, I went to the high school fashion show, nobody sat near me or in front of me and I STILL came down with a very bad cold 2 days later. I am FINALLY getting over that and I don't want the flu!

Do I dare wear a mask and go out, or will people think I am a freak or be afraid that I have the flu?
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I am still getting out to do simple errands if I feel like it but truthfully haven't done
    much as I've been in a bad flare.

I wash my hands alot at home and if I go anywhere I use the hand sanitizer alot
    while I am out. I've had to send my kids to school with hand sanitizer as the schools
    don't have alot of soap in the bathrooms which is an ongoing issue. I live in the dfw
    area in texas so there are a number of schools closed but so far our schools are open in my area.

I would say do what you feel is best for you Empower. I have seen some people wear gloves
    and I have seen a few with masks but not many. You know your body best so do what
    you feel is most comfortable for you and don't worry about what other's think.

From what I have read this flu isn't that bad but not sure how it would affect us with this
    darn disease.

Sunday I saw a young lady wearing gloves in a restaurant and then I also saw that she had
    a very new baby so I think she was probably trying to protect herself and her baby.

Hope this helps.

Take care, Gentle hugs, Susan

3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I have a compromised immune system, so I know what it's like. If somebody gives me their "minor case of the sniffles" I can wind up in the hospital for 3 weeks.

I try to be careful, while not being excessively germophobic. It's a fine line.

A few days ago while waiting at my hematologists office, I watched a woman stand there & cough all over the elevator buttons. She was standing so close to them, her toes were almost touching the wall. And she was really short - right at face-level with the buttons. No, she didn't bother covering her mouth. She just spewed germs all over the buttons, knowing others would have to touch them!
    I can't remember the last time I wanted to slap anyone so badly!!!

I went to the receptionists desk & asked for disinfecting wipes. The receptionists were as grossed out as I was.
    I soaked those elevator buttons with a big handful of wipes.

It's because of stupid peeps like that, that we have to be hyper-cautious.
    Go ahead & be germophobic, cuz people are nasty!!!!!
  4. outofstep

outofstep Member

I started using these pre-swine flu and it's really made a difference-probably look nuts but use them after touching anything that a lot of people have also touched (front door knob, atm buttons, those pens where you sign at the pharmacy, shopping basket handles) because I have enough of my own illnesses.
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It sounds like your immune system is down. The best thing you can do right now is to take immune boosters and get it up there alittle bit. There are some great natural ones that do help. I use Shiitake, it's always helped me over the years. And I used a product called Spirutein that's filled with tons of nutrients.

The rest is just the usual. Washing hands as soon as you come home. Using antibacterial gels.

I definitely understand your being scared of it. I had a bad flu almost ten years ago that lasted four whole months. I never forgot it. It was a bad one.

I'm still going out and doing things, but I won't go to a buffet style restaurant. Anything where you have to touch alot of stuff other people touched is bad.
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I am laughing at some of your posts - people DO have such NASTY habits!!!

Pre swine flu I was at a drug store, and the cashier had her fingers in her mouth and then hands me my receipt with them - I was gagging

Normally, when I am in the stores, I use the Chlorox wipes and take my own pen to sign for the debit card transactions, but I still got sick with the nasty cold

It seems that people always wait until they are next to me to let out a huge SNEEZE!

7. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

there was someone on there who had swabbed various things and the ATM and elevator buttons of several areas had tons of stuff growing from them...even fecal matter! UGH! I'm sure you can look up that info on the NBC website but I warn you its gross!!!!!!!!!

Its funny all of you were talking about the elevator button! he said that has the most germs on it! it seems lots of folks in our world do not wash their hands after going to the bathroom! ewwwww!

I'm glad I keep hand sanitizer with me when I go out!
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm in an apartment building. So I'm totally aware of that elevator button. The second I get back into my apartment, I wash my hands. The building's laundry room bugs me. I hate having to touch the machines and sit in the same chairs everyone in there sat in. I'm always thinking germs.

But my big pet peeve is people coughing or sneezing on my food. I have a real thing about it. I went out on Friday with a friend to a restaurant and she coughed all over my tea. So then, I just couldn't drink it. It just made me gag. I really do not want anyone near my food. I actually prefer to eat alone and cook at home like that. I can't help it. I ended up getting some kind of foodpoisoning anyway from the place. My stomach hasn't been right since.
  9. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I live in a high-rise & I always try to get in the elevator with other people so I can ask the person standing nearest the buttons "will you press 15 for me please?" LOL! And yes, I scrub the heck outta my hands as soon as I get home!

Don't even get me started about coughers & sneezers on the city bus!!!
  10. outofstep

outofstep Member

These posts reminded me of something that happened to a manager I had ages ago-a kid handed her a bill that was soaking wet and she asked him if he'd been swimming, and he said no, he'd had the bill in his shoe. ew. So watch out for money too-you don't know where it's been!
  11. cynicaldog

cynicaldog New Member

I think it's probably impossible to avoid germs unless you live in a plastic bubble, but one thing that's helped me is to never touch my face unless I've just washed my hands or used hand sanitizer. It was a tough habit to break, but I'm now very conscious of never rubbing my eyes, putting my hands near my mouth or nose, etc. If I get something in my eye, I take a clean tissue and use that to wipe at it, so my fingers don't make contact. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had a cold in two years since I made this a habit. You still can't stop the person who sneezes in your face, but you can not rub your nose after touching the elevator buttons!