Not Sleeping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tiger, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Tiger

Tiger New Member

I can identify with persons that have fibromyalgia and say that they are not sleeping. At this stage I am really getting desperate and need some sleep.
    As we are aware it seems that ones immune system becomes weak and you get viruses such as colds/sore throats and they seem to take ages to go away.
    I am sure that many of you with fibromyalgia have had this experience. Personally, I can't remember the last time in years that I have not been exhausted from lack of sleep.
    What has anybody done about about not being able to sleep?
    What have you tried and what has worked or not?
    Any information or support would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  2. Tiger

Tiger New Member

I can identify with persons that have fibromyalgia and say that they are not sleeping. At this stage I am really getting desperate and need some sleep.
    As we are aware it seems that ones immune system becomes weak and you get viruses such as colds/sore throats and they seem to take ages to go away.
    I am sure that many of you with fibromyalgia have had this experience. Personally, I can't remember the last time in years that I have not been exhausted from lack of sleep.
    What has anybody done about about not being able to sleep?
    What have you tried and what has worked or not?
    Any information or support would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  3. niggley

niggley New Member

hi there tiger..when l first had M.E l was in such a desperate state and went to the doctor and he gave me dothiopen 75mg just a night..they are anti-depressants but they helped at first ..l prefered homeopathic medicine so after seeing a doctor was given a very helpful medicine arsenicum album, obviously to have to see a doctor to check this is right for you and the amount! ..a natural herb you can buy from health shops is valerian which comes in tea and tablet form which really calms your mind. Eating early, a relaxing bath and no tv can really help ...l hope this helps you love and best wishes nyree
  4. sweet-lavendar

sweet-lavendar New Member

im not sleepping neither but al my doc will give me is amytrip somthing Is this god for sleep?
  5. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

a hot bath, cammimile tea(sp) 6am yawn-I have been on serzone for depression for a couple of years and I take it at night because it usually will make me sleepy-not always.The product ATP that is sold on this sight has helped with muscle aches and my sleep. sometimes though with what ever I try I have restless nights0when I cannot sleep I get out of the bed and do something and try again in a half hour or so or the bed becomes my enemy. There numerous docs that will tell you if you are not sleeping get out of bed until you feel slepy again.

The bottom line is this-I sleep most nihgts lately and still wake up feeling like I have been run over by a mack truck-I honestly do not remember what waking up refreshed feels like it has been years.

Some folks use klonopin,xanax, ambien etc different things work for different people.

The tea and the bath are relaxing0 use sented candles withlavender to relax me and drink the tea in the tub.

also find if I read and not watch tv it puts me to sleep easier-especially right now while I am studying for my ultrsound boards-physics will put anyone to sleep--ha ha

i understand your frustration-talk to your doc-the more we do not sleep the worse we get-good luck

cathy
  6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

hey... I have trouble with restful sleep... I sleep but wake up tired and yeah I know that makes for a long day or long life LOL>>> but I take the magnesium which will help you relax! believe it or not.. then I take an herbal prepartion with valerian and passionflower.. then a melatonin to boot. I still don't feel like I do when I get a natural night's sleep but its much much better! I also do relaxation stuff like relaxing my body consciously too! Good luck!
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Tiger, welcome to the board. Sleep is one of our biggest problems.

I take Xanax (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm

ZMA, (2 capsules) zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6 at 10pm

Melatonin (3 milligrams) right before bed

This combination is the only thing that helps me sleep.

The ZMA is the key to this as I sleep very deeply for 7-8 hours a night. I have never slept this well in my adult life.

Melatonin and ZMA can be bought here at Pro Health, just go to the top right of this page where it says; 'Store', type in ZMA and you can read about this supplement. Also the Melatonin.

It takes the ZMA about 10 days before it works, I hope you find something that will help you sleep too.

All of us are different, what works for some of us may not work for others. But anything is worth a try for sleeping.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

8. Lanie

Lanie New Member

I used Valerian root as well to help me relax enough to sleep. I also bought Sleeptime Extra Tea by Celestial Seasonings and that helped a bit too.

My new Rheumy put me on Trazedone and that has been a MIRACLE med for me. I now consistantly sleep thru the night! Ask your dr. about it.
    Sweet dreams,
    Lanie
  9. tapmom

tapmom New Member

I use the valerian/lemon balm, and melatonin, all from this site. It is so important to get sleep in order to get well. Keep searching.
  10. James

James Guest

I read a lot of posts on the board about ZMA,
    it didnt really standout to me at first until I heard that it is also popular for gaining strength. I read up on it and tried it for just the standpoint on strength.
    I (as recommended) take 3 before bedtime. So far over the last 2 weeks I have been getting goooddd sleep. I actually have been rememnering my dreams which I haven't in years.. I would definitely say ZMA is worth giving a try.
    James
  11. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I have tried several medications:
    Elavil - OK, but have morning grogginess on top of fog.
    Trazedone - OK, but didn't feel completely rested.
    Ambien - Great, I sleep like a rock. I get a full nights rest 10PM until 6AM and feel fairly alert upon waking.

I also avoid sugar and caffeine after 6PM and try to have some herbal tea around 9PM. I play relaxing music to sleep by. I'm usually out by the 2nd track.

Now if there could be something to help with AM stiffness, I'd be happy!

Good luck. LisaMay
  12. Coping

Coping New Member

Not being able to sleep is one of the most terrible problems I had. (excluding pain) I tried Xanax, Melatonin, and Ambien all at the same time! And still could not sleep more that 4 hours.

My doctor prescribed Deseryl. It has worked great for me, but I am a little foggier in the a.m. I have found that a good nights sleep helps greatly with the pain and other symptoms. I'm sure everyone will agree on that!

Good luck and keep trying to find what helps for you. You will not believe how much better you will feel.

Gentle {{{hugs}}}
    Tricia
  13. Coping

Coping New Member

WELCOME to the board! There are so many new members lately. I think it's wonderful.
    You've come to a great place to find help and friendships!

Tricia
  14. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

You've certainly got a lot of great advice already. It seems that what works for some, doesn't work so great for others. The only thing that helps me sleep, and I've tried several different meds, is Klonopin. It is very strong and my doctor worked me up from 1/4 tab gradually up to 1 tab of 2mg. It does make me a bit uncoordinated in the morning, but that wears off within an hour and since I'm no longing working it's not a problem for me. I don't take it every night. Just when I feel I really need to get a decent night's sleep. Also, try a hot Epsom Salt bath. I'm hooked since trying them recently. The magnesium (sp?) in the bath really relaxes and soothes my aching muscles and then it's easy to lay down and rest. Good luck in finding what works for you. And again, welcome! :)

Regina