Not sure if I have Fibromyalgia or not

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by minischnauzerlover, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. minischnauzerlover

    minischnauzerlover New Member

    I have had upper back pain on my right side for over 10 years. Sometimes it's so bad the only way I can get relief is to lay flat and not move. I also have lower back/hip pain and pain in my right knee. I have been to a family practioner who sent me to physical therapy twice. I do some exercises there but they mostly do myo fascial scar release massage. I went to an orthopedic surgeon too and he wasn't any help. I went to the chiropractor last week and he said my complaints and symptoms remind him of Fibromyalgia. I get massages from a licensed therapist at his office and mentioned to him that if I get a deep tissue massage on my right upper back it causes alot of pain for days instead of making me feel better. Does anyone have some suggestions about what I should do to find out if Fibromyalgia is my problem? Thanks!
  2. nanna4550

    nanna4550 New Member

    go to a Rheumetologist and have him check your tender points. There are some books you could look at about
    the diagnosis at any bookstore that describe the process
    and where the points are.
    I was glad to finally find out what was wrong with me, but now I kinda wish I didn't have a diagnosis, because I feel my doctors are less sympathetic to my pain. Maybe this is just me.
    Best of wishes, Nanna
  3. lilaclover30

    lilaclover30 New Member

    Love your name as our son and family have a mini, Zoe, who is gray and so cute.

    I am so sorry for your pain. I went undiagnosed for 10-15 years - trips to the Dr. only made him mad! Finally, I had a Dx. But that wasn't the answer as he knew nothing to do. I still don't know. I go to a Pain Clinic Thur. and see what they suggest. I do have pain patches to wear (just got them last week) but am holding off until I go to the clinic.

    I have tried what my Dr. first recommended, Tylenol# - it helped at first but now, nothing.

    Go to the rheumotologist (spelling is bad!!!) and also a neurologist if that doesn't work. There is a book by Dr. Devin Starnly (not sure that is right) She has FMS and has so many helpful ideas you might try. Go to the bookstores and browse and see what you can find.

    Good luck and Gentle Hugs
  4. pirtpain

    pirtpain New Member

    I have had fibromyalgia for 11 years. If all lab work and x-rays show to be normal and other options such as chiropractic and massage, which has been deadly for me ,are not helping ,more than likely you MAY have fibro. I see a rheumatologist and a phychiatrist (for my depression which comes along with the fibro) One good med. is Cymbalta. It has helped with my fatigue abit. Good Luck!!!

  5. minischnauzerlover

    minischnauzerlover New Member

    Thanks nanna4550, lilaclover30 & pirtpain for your replies. I guess I will go back to family practioner and see if she will give me a referral to a rhuemotologist. I have been treated for depression 15 years. I have clinical depression so am unable to stop meds as it comes right back. I did see on a medical site that as many as 80% with almost constant pain in the upper back has depression. That's interesting. My husband & I have a gray mini schnauzer too and love him to pieces. He is so smart & lovable. Thanks again!

[ advertisement ]