not sure what some abbreviations stand for

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daboysone, Aug 5, 2009.

1. daboysone

daboysone New Member

Hi all, I suffer from FM. As I read some posts I don't know certain abbreviations and when I try to go into the post with the list of abbreviations my computer always seems to get stuck! What does M.E. stand for? I know CFS, FM, MPS, and some others but cannot figure out M.E.! Thanks! M
  2. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

ME stands for myalgic encephalomyelitis
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

ME stands for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

In my opinion it is the correct name for people with fatigue syndromes with a specific pattern of accompanying symptoms.

Chronic fatigue syndrome is too non specific a name and could well encompass those suffering from mental health disorders and other conditions that cause fatigue.

There is a site called ahumminbirdsguidetome. which is excellent for more info and there is also good info here.

Love Bunchy x

4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

PWC stands for "person with Cfids/CFS"

I personally believe that the central nervous system and brain are where our problesm stem from although I agree the other things you mentioned should be looked at.

There is evidence (the research articles elude me right now but check out the autopsy report on Sophia Mirza if you can find it) that there are problems in both the spinal cord and brain in ME.

I also agree actusl inflammation of the brain is not necessarily correct rather dysfunction of the brain's processing.

Hope you get what I mean - I'm pretty whacked now as it's late in the UK

Love Bunchy x
  5. daboysone

daboysone New Member

Thankyou everyone for the help! I have just started visiting this site a little while ago, then stopped (?spelling) and started up again. I hope to become an active and positive member and appreciate others postings. It lets me know I am not alone. I wish I could make everyone better as I know you all probably wish the same! :) I am looking forward to getting to know you and maybe helping others a little! Thanks again! M