Not sure where to begin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3darlingsmomma, Nov 21, 2005.

1. 3darlingsmomma

3darlingsmomma New Member

I've been researching some symptoms that I've been having and found my way here. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I head to my doctor.

I am 33 years old. I have had hypothyroidism for 9 years. I had mono when I was 17 and was sick for months. For a few years I've had different symptoms that would come from time to time but over the last 2 years they are more frequent. The biggest symptom I have is body aches, like the kind you get with the flu. I feel so bad with them and they last for days and days. I also get a "sore" mouth, sometimes the roof of my mouth but usually the right upper and lower gums. I also get swollen, painful lymph nodes under my right jaw. Sometimes I'll get a "face ache", always on the right side that radiates clear into my scalp and right ear. These symptoms will present themselves if I get to tired and the last 2 months they start a week before my period.

I am not bedridden but when I feel like this, it's all I can do to do the necessary things. I truly believe I have CFS and I'm worried about my future. I have 3 children and work part time so I can't nap and/or rest when I need to all the time.

I'm trying to learn to pace myself more, not live so rushed that I overdo. I'm feeling well right now, I just came off 2 weeks of feeling horrible, the body aches are the worst for me. So for the last 2 weeks I have not exercised at all, I usually walk/jog 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. I knew that I just couldn't while I was feeling so bad. I'm dreading my period that is due in about 2 weeks, I don't want to feel bad and it seems like it takes me longer and longer to get over the hump. Maybe because I usually push myself harder rather than listening to my body and resting as much as I can.

I'd love some guidance and/or advice for my visit to the doctor's in 3 weeks. My episodes used to be few and far between but after my mom died 2 years ago, it's become more regular.

Thanks!
  2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

would just tell your doctor what you said here. Write it down in case you forget something, it helps me anyway.
    If your doctor is good they will test you for everything from Lupus to fungusamongus..my made up disease lol! If it's FM it will all come back
    negative, so by elimination they diagnose. I HOPE you don't have CFS OR FM!! It's a long road and I never like seeing anyone being diagnosed with either thing! Maybe it is some imbalance they can deal with and CURE!! My hopes are with you!
    Bambi
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

There's a large number of us on this board who have found the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers (FFC). There are a dozen or more in different states in the U.S. Their website is FibroandFatigue dot com.

These centers have helped all of us find out WHY we have CFS/FM instead of just getting a diagnosis and having to live with it.

They do extensive blood work checking hormone levels, hypercoagulation (thickening of blood caused by viruses/bacteria) and, most important, blood work for viruses and lyme disease.

Like you, my symptoms came on gradually but have been very bad for about 10 years. I had a "diagnosis" of FM for about 6 years but the doctor said there wasn't anything you could do for it because they didn't know what caused it.

The FFC's are devoted to helping us find the root problems of our symptoms and they've done a good job of it. I've been diagnosed with lyme disease and 3 viruses (one of which is mono or Epstein-Barr Virus) and I am now taking quite a regiment of supplements, hormones, antibiotics to kill the lyme and anti-virals.

I wish doctors understood more about lyme but that doesn't seem to be the case for most of us. In fact, most of us have been to many doctors trying to find answers to our issues.

If you do a search on here under FFC, you will find a wealth of information which may help you.

Feel free to ask any other questions,

Sandy