Not Sweatin' To The Oldies...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just an oldie who is sweatin'. Decided I have been sitting on my fanny long enough. I decided to do my Pilates tape, the one which uses the little rubber ball. I got it at Target; it's a product from Gaiam. This is the same company which makes the huge balls. I also have two different sizes of the balls and the tape which goes with them. Both of these are excellent workouts for us. If we can't do all the moves, that's OK. There are enough that we can do to make it worthwhile. I also use a gentle Yoga tape and vary my routine to keep it from being boring.

Well, I decided that I needed to sweat out all the toxins from the root canal and all the meds I have been taking. OMG, I couldn't smell worse than if I were tarring a roof in August at noon in Phoenix. I feel so much better and am about to step into the shower. Exercising was about the last thing I wanted to do, but it is probably the thing I really did need to do.

I think exercising is easier for us if we do things which appeal to us and if we vary the routine. I like to swim and ride my bicycle too, but right now, that is just a tad more than I'm up to.

Hope y'all are having a good day. I cancelled my filling in the crown where I had the root canal. It's still too tender, but I rescheduled it for Mon. By then, it should be OK. I have a bunch of stuff needing done around here, so I'm glad it's getting better.

Love, Mikie
  2. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

Mikie,

Glad to hear that your feeling better! I hate going to the dentist, it hurts my poor little jaw soo much. It's good that you'll have a bit of a break between appts.

Good for you for getting off your fanny. I envy you. It's too hot here to do anything but breath. Even that breaks a sweat. Thank goodness for the neck scarf cooling thingy!

Hope your smelling better LOL!
    Rachel
  3. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I have had a rather nasty crash and the last thing I felt like doing was exercising. But I put on the new walking shoes that my son helped me choose and got on the treadmill. And, Wow. Feeling much more the thing. I'm embarrased to tell you how long I didn't walk but I'm working up to longer and longer stretches.

I understand the need to exercise, I used to ride my bike for miles, pre-illness, but I can't keep my balance now and the treadmill is a nice substitute.

I also understand tooth pain. Not nice, not nice at all.

Be well, and thank you for all you and Shirl do to anchor us here,

Love,

Sandra
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate you caring concern.

Yes, Janet, I am convinced that the abcess has been there for months and didn't rear its ugly head til I pulsed off the Doxy recently. I also think you hit it on the head when you said it's why I haven't been able to feel well for so long. I thought it was all due to the Red Tide and mold, and I'm sure that was part of it, but the tooth probably just kept me sick from the infection. One of the problems with taking ABX for long periods is masking infectious conditions. I'm glad I can now pulse off of them.

Pilates looks deceptively easy, but it's not. You have to be very careful to use the correct form or you can hurt your back. There are a lot of the old type of sit ups from a flat position. Unless you understand how to breathe and how to pull your navel into the spine while doing them, they will damage the spine. Pilates was designed for dancers who have to the be strongest of the athletes. Like most workout tapes, there are some leg lifts, but you could ignore those. I think the Yoga is probably better for you. Actually, the best exercises I have ever found are the gentle ones I learned in physical therapy. They mostly involve stretching and flexing. They kept my muscles toned, strong, and flexible even when I was in bed a good part of the time. I could actually do them in bed.

Love, Mikie