not telling new doctor about FM/new findings...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Jan 27, 2010.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

hi everyone.=)

i made a post recently about going to a new doctor, and deciding not to mention that i've been diagnosed with FM. the reason being, i wanted him to focus on my current symptoms, and not "pass it off as just FM".

i've been dealing with alot of pain and muscle tension in my neck and upper back, and also my finger tips have been numb for almost 2 months now.

i also get the same pains throughout my middle and lower back, but it's been mostly in the upper back lately, so that's what i focused on when i went to see him.

well, he ordered an MRI of my cervical spine, and i went to pick up the results today.

i have mild disc bulging from C4 -C7 and mild to moderate spinal stenosis throughout with the worst being at C6-C7. (which explains alot!)

i havn't been back to see him yet, i'm sure he'll go over all of this when i do.

i'm wondering if i should bring up the FM diagnosis, or just continue the way i have been with him?

maybe this is what's been going on the whole time, just nobody picked up on it?

i'd really appreciate any feedback on what to do next, or if anyone could tell me more about spinal stenosis either, i'd really appreciate it!

thanks alot......... Autumn
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

your test results. This is so important for one to always do.

Since you are seeing a new doc, your Fibromyalgia should be in your medical records for him to see. Maybe your doc will bring up your Fibro at next appt., then again maybe not.

At this point i would concentrate on your test results with next appt. and go from there.
    At some point Fibromyalgia should be discussed with your new doctor, although i highly think these test results need thourgh review with your new doc.

Keep up with your testing results, they are Always your copies to have.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know Spinal Stenosis can cause a lot of pain that's for sure. It narrows your spinal column and pinches those nerves, so wherever those nerves are going to will be effected. My Mom has it severely and hers it inoperable. Her only option is injections at this point and they help about 70% for a few months.

If you are having other pain though that is not connected to those areas (and what is connected to where those nerves go) than I would say you are probably dealing with unrelated Fibro pain, although I'm not sure what other Fibro symptoms you have. If you're dealing with sleep issues, fatigue etc. not related to pain, then I wouldn't say that's related to your discs or stenosis. Could you remind me of your symptoms?

Your Dr. "may" recommend surgery. I think you should tell him about your FM diagnosis and ALL of your symptoms at this point. He may see how long you can live without surgery, just depends on his philosophy. BTW - he may not recommend surgery at all, I'm certainly not a Dr. =)

Please let us know what the Dr. says after you see him again.

**Arthritis and Fibro are different. Same with Thyroid issues and Vitamin D. If you were to correct those "problems" in and of themselves, you wouldn't have Fibro, you have thyroid issues and Vit. D deficiency.
  4. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

for all your responses, very much appreciated!

so you all think i should bring up the FM?

i'll have to admit, i am a bit nervous in doing so. i have to hope he will understand where i was coming from by doing it this way.

i do have alot of other symptoms besides the back pain, like, horrible sleep (waking up every 2 hours), digestive problems, extreme muscle tension, and a generally achey feeling.

those symptoms could be stemming from my back problems, but i'm not sure?

i had an MRI done when i first got sick over 2 years ago, and all it said was i had mild degeneration. i'm not sure if it's just gotten worse, or the doctor viewing it, really didn't see anything at that time.

i'm really anxious to go back to him and see what he has to say.

thanks again for your responses.