Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goneee, Apr 20, 2010.

1. goneee

goneee New Member

I hope that none of my friends here on this message board will think I am nosey for asking this question but I am so stressed out over making ends meet and not being able to go to the doctor or get medications. Can anyone shed any light on how they make ends meet with being on disability? Yes, I do have a husband that works, but his income is not the greatest because he works on commission and with the economy the way it is now, his salary is slim.

Trying to figure out whether to pay a bill, eat, go to the doctor or get a prescription refilled has put my anxiety in orbit.

Thanks for any suggestions and alowing me to ask this personal question.

Take care,
  2. loto

loto Member

Are you able to apply and qualify for a state medical card? I still work and my husband is self employed, but, thank goodness since he is self employed, in my state we qualified for a medical card. You just wouldn't believe how that alone has saved us.

That could help with your doctor bills and meds, and leave more money for food.

Hope it's possible for you in your state.

3. quanked

quanked Member

because I do not know your sitaution but what comes to mind is applying for food stamps, subsidized housing, go to food banks and in an emergency you might try churches and community programs (each county has one but they have different names).

Each year their are programs that help with heating costs but the money runs out quickly.

You can apply to drug companies for a reduced price or sometimes no cost. We have a medical clinic (2 I think) that does a sliding fee schedule. Our local hospital cannot refuse medical help to anyone based on inability to pay.

It also depends on your state. When I worked in Idaho I was taken aback by the help counties can grant its citizens. I would not have imagined such a republican and conservative state to be as supportive to their citizens as they were. There is not this kind of help available in Oregon.

It also depends on the bill. Not paying certain bills could land you on the street or without heat or water. Other bills sometimes just have to wait.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

not really any suggestions to add to those already given, but I wanted to tell you that you are definitely not alone in this.....I live alone and am on disability and absolutely unable to work at all - can barely take care of myself....and on average, almost 90% of my SSDI goes to rent & elec....this past feb, those two bills alone took 96% of my income.....I have looked and looked for cheaper housing, a roommate, etc, and have had no luck

so far God has brought me thru, but it is very scary, and with my relatively young age and the sheer amt of yrs I will likely still be here, things are probably just going to get worse (unless someone finds a cure for these dd)
  5. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

I have sold gold jewelry, collectibles, etc. I have had garage sales. I use every discount program available to me... PGE, water bill, etc. I had my car payments lowered and the loan adjusted to better meet the car value. I get scholarships for my kids after school activities and other school costs (yearbook, class trips). I use every drug store discount card I can. And here's the big one... I filed bankruptcy. But, it was sooooo worth it.
    I got a roommate and lowered my rent, too.
    There is no clear cut answer. But this much is certain... you have to be creative in how you save and spend money.
    Good luck.
  6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

From other posters. I dont have anything to add as far as what you can do. I wanted to caution you on something I learned the hard way. Those "pay day" loans...avoid at all costs. They usually lend more the more you make. Its so very hard to pay those back and stay afloat. They hurt the poorest people because the interest rates are crazy...kinda like kicking you when you're down. Hopefully some of these suggestions work out for you. Its hard when funds are low but debts are high. I know. Rebecca
  7. goneee

goneee New Member

I just wanted to thank all of you who have responded to my question. I know I am not alone, as so many of us with this condition are going through the same problems I am facing, but it is so scarey at times.

I was such an independent person, had a fantastic job, making great money for years, no problems paying bills and just enjoying the good life. Then it was all ended in a blink of an eye after a bad car accident. I do not know what is in our future and I guess it is a good thing, but I never thought things would be as they are now for my husband and I.
    All of our children and grown and gone. To put icing on the cake, as close as I was with them, after I became sick and wasn't able to do for them anymore, we hardly ever see or hear from them. I think that part has made my panic and anxiety much worse than not having the money to make ends meet.

Again, thanks to everyone and I will be trying everything that has been suggested.

Take care,

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

There is a poster named TwoCatDoctors on the Depression board. Last year she posted
    a lot of info on low cost/free meds. I saved it, but of course I can't find it now.
    You might ask her to repost.

So far as saving money in general, I only know obvious stuff like try the thrift shops,
    don't go to movies, use grocery coupons, etc. (I have found men's shirts at thrift
    shops that were new and designer names; $5.)

My sister lost her job last Spring. She has had some temp jobs, but hasn't been able
    to find permanent full-time work. She goes to a food bank for free groceries that is
    open 2 times a month. She also gets low cost meds from a Red Cross clinic.
    (This is in MN.)

Sorry to hear about your kids. My story is similar. My son and I had a wonderful
    relationship. I spent more time w/ him on a weekend than my father did w/ me in
    a lifetime. But once my son grew up he didn't want anything to do w/ me.

Come visit the Chit chat board now and then. Folks discuss pets, TV, music, old
    times, cars, etc. Won't improve your situation, but might be entertaining. (Price
    is right.)

9. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

to tv watch the dave ramsey show and he also has a radio program and website,

Many callers on his show call in for desperate need/advice.
    He has a list of steps to take as to what needs to come first when paying whatever.

i have found his show to be very helpful especially since so many are financially struggling today just for basic needs.

Thought i'd share this helpful thought for you.