Not working??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mistypa12000, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mistypa12000

mistypa12000 New Member

I have had FM for 2 years. At first I just lived with it since doctors wouldn't listen to me. I finally found a doctor who figured out what was going on and sent me to pain doctor. I have been going to him for 8 months. I have been taking Hydrocodone 10mg 3 times a day for pain. This had been working fine but the past month since it has gotten cold it doesn't seem to be touching the pain and doesn't work for 8 hours. I also take Cymbalta and Clonipin to help me sleep. I am not sure if there is a higher dose that can be taken or if I will have to go to stronger pain medicine. I think what I take is already strong and am scared about going to something stronger but just can't take the constant pain. Just wondering what other people have experienced with this. I go to the doctor Thursday and am nervous about what changes he will make to my medicine.
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

May i ask what kind of doctor you are nervous with making medicine changes ?

I am very curious if you have or are seeing a Rheumatologist and asking as you mention your doctor figured out what was going on and sent you to a pain doctor ?

Learning as much as we can to manage our Fibromyalgia symptoms is so very important.
    Have you had any pain relief with water aerobics or any water therapy. A doctor will write a prescription for these types of therapy for you.

I do understand your pain, although i have found to keep increasing pain med doses is not always a benefit. Possibly speak to your Thursday doctor of ways to manage your symptoms. I've had Fibromyalgia for many years and i am still willing to learn to manage more ways to help ease my pain. Many here can share so much more . We listen very well and are always open to share ways to ease Fibro pain.

For feet and hands, have you tried the parafin wax dip ?
    So much more to share.

Be Well
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's always a tough decision to make when you come to that crossroad. Do you increase or do you live with the pain. For me, there wasn't a choice. I could not take the pain that left me unable to sleep, walk, work, have any sort of life etc.

Are you taking 1 Vicoden 3 times a day? That's really not strong. You don't necessarily have to go to a stronger med, but can just increase the amount you're taking. If you did want to go to a stronger med, Percocet is a little stronger. On my one visit to a pain clinic they switched me from Norco (10 mg Vicoden) to Percocet. Nothing I've taken has ever lasted 8 hrs that's for sure. Even when you get a pain med from a dentist, the script will say take every 4-6 hrs.

Remember, changing your medicine isn't a bad thing. Sometimes our pain gets worse, sometimes the medicine becomes less effective because our bodies have gotten used to it.

I have switched my medicine around many times. It is really trial and error. I've had to experiment with the schedule in which I take it, which are most effective etc. What works for me may not work for you - especially with Fibro pain. The most important thing is that you have a Dr. who is willing to work with you. Some people with Fibro get very little relief from narcotics at all. For me, they help greatly.

Don't be nervous, or I should say, what are you nervous about....that he will make a change, won't make a change? If he increases anything, it doesn't mean you have to take it all the time, only when your pain is really bad.
    Just realized it's Thurs!!! Please write and let us know how it went!