Now, I Have An Abcessed Tooth

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It wasn't just my gallbladder which has been making me sick for the last six months; I now have an abcessed tooth which is scheduled for a root canal on Dec. 12th. That's the earliest appt. the endodontist had. I may get lucky and get someone's cancellation sooner. In the meantime, I'm not chewing on that side and I'm on Doxycycline and ibuprophen to keep the infection and inflammation down. It came on suddenly Sun. afternoon with throbbing pain and a swollen gum.

We are so used to feeling lousy and sometimes, it's something else entirely, or, two something elses. Problem is that these kinds of things start out slowly and build. Until they become acute, we often don't know what it is or whether it's related to our illnesses.

I'm very happy that, like my gb, this can be fixed. I am hoping and praying that this is the end of it. I want to get back to healing. I'm posting this because I think it's important to check out new symptoms. I did try to but because my gb had no stones, it took lots of tests and time to find out what was going on. It was misdiagnosed as acid reflux until the last test. It's important that if something new is happening that we don't just give up. We need to pursue it until we get the answers.

I stopped on my way home from the dentist's office yesterday and shopped. I got a fresh turkey and didn't want to try to keep it til Thurs. It's in the oven and smelling wonderful. I bought canned yams, a bakery pumpkin pie, Stovetop stuffing (to which I'll add dried cherries and pecans--delicious) and bottled gravy. I'll eat well but just not as fresh as I usually do. I'm taking the easy way out. I was supposed to go up to Atlanta like I usually do but am glad I didn't try it or I'd be up there miserable with a throbbing tooth.

Hope y'all stay healthy and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Love, Mikie
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

You just can't get a break can you!!!? I'm sorry about the tooth. Things have got to go your way sometime soon.
    Your dinner sounds wonderful and I do wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Kathy
  3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

but can the tooth be pulled? Allot of root canal's don't last, and I hear are painful themselves.

Dan
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Oh I hate an abcessed tooth worse than anything! Ouch! And right at Thanksgiving! That is just plain awful!

I am glad you found what was making you feel worse though!

Happy thanksgiving!

Take Care of yourself and get lots of rest!

Kellyann
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Man, Mikie, you are having a time of it. Hope you can enjoy that turkey despite the bad tooth. Keep us updated.

Shar
  6. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I hope this is the end of it for you too. I haven't posted to you, but have read about some things you've been through over the past pouple of weeks. I sympathize with you as I've been there, and am quite sure I need another. Please keep us all informed as to your healing after. I'd be interested to see what effect that infection was having on your overall health. I will be thinking of you and hoping for a rapid recovery1!!! Take care, Laura
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your concern and advice. Actually, all my teeth behind the canines both uppers and lowers on both sides are crowned. I've always had problems with my teeth, like so many of us here. Unlike so many others, though, I have never had problems with root canals. This is my fifth or sixth one. I have an excellent endodontist who has done two other root canals for me. I've never had a problem with anything afterward, not even pain. The procedure itself is painless too.

I've been on the Doxy and will stay on it. When I get an infected tooth, it usually drains through the gum and I don't get the golf ball size swelling that some do. The pain has settled down now that I'm on anti-inflammatories and the Doxy and am not chewing on that side. I cooked my turkey yesterday and ate just fine on the other side.

If the tooth stays like this, I'll be able to make it til the 12th. If not, I can call my dentist and he will treat it as an emergency. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

I wanted to post was so that people could see how unrelated conditions can make us sicker. We can't just assume that it is from our illnesses. It took six months of searching for the answer to why I had chest pain on the right, was running low-grade fevers, and my fatigue was so bad. At first, we thought it was bronchitis and costo chondritis from Red Tide outbreaks. Gallbladder was temporarily ruled out when the ultrasound was neg. Then, I was diagnosed with acid reflux after lesions were found on my esophogus when I had the endoscopy. Fortunately, I have an excellent gastro doc and he ordered the nuclear medicine gb scan. I did have acid reflux but it was caused by the gb.

For these six months, my progress stopped and I just got sicker and sicker and weaker and weaker. It has taken a lot of effort to get to the bottom of the problems. Now, it's the tooth. As I said earlier, though, the gb and abcessed tooth are both things which can be fixed. I just hope this is the end of it.

We always need to take new symptoms seriously and never give up until we know exactly what we are dealing with. We've had several members who have had heart attacks and didn't realize it at first because the pain was similar to what we suffer all the time.

Thanks again, guys. I really appreciate how sweet and supportive y'all are.

Love, Mikie
  8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Sorry Mikie to hear about your bad tooth. The 12 of Dec. is a long time to wait I feel for you. I'm realy glad your GB is out and that you did good. I pulled all my teeth-and I sure don't miss them! Take care hope you have a good food grinder you can use. Dinner sounds great! We are having big shrimp and steak. Easy and soooo tasty.
    Love Dee50
  9. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Bless your heart !!! I feel so bad for you. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. You are such a blessing to all of here on this board. We need you well ! LOL
    Gentle Warm Hugs, Love Debbie

Happy Thanksgiving and God bless you
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I posted, on the chit chat board, telling you I am sorry about your tooth. No fun! I wasn't sure if you checked the board or not..

I have had several abcesses, and they are not for the weak!

Take care of yourself. Hope 'the' tooth calms down, so you can enjoy 'turkey day'!

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I feel so blessed to have you guys and this board. I do get over to the CC Board but not as often.

I got a new Razr phone and I haven't even felt up to downloading and programming it so I can watch the video V-Casts, use it as an MP3 player, and use the GPS capabilities. It's an amazing little gizmo.

Thanks again for all your good wishes. I just ate my feast and chewed on the other side. I can eat just fine. As long as I'm on the ibuprophen and Doxy and don't chew on it, the tooth is stable.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families and loved ones.

Love, Mikie
  12. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mikie:

So sorry you have to go through this.

I have had my share of dental problems and I know how rough it can be.

You have a wonderful Thanksgiving and do not let the abcessed tooth take that away from you.

nyrofan
  13. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I have BTDT several times. I had a few root canals, and I never get used to it, plus which my mouth doesn't open fully so it is hard for the dentist to work and even worse for me.

My old neighbour used to tell the dentist to just yank 'em out if he said she needed a root canal. Once it healed up she could eat everything. Iasked her: "Even steak?" and she said yes!

Good luck with the root canal, I hope all goes smoothly.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This endodontist is excellent--fast and painless. I've never had a problem with any of my root canals (knock on wood). One is more than 20 years old.

When I go up to Atlanta, we always end up laughing til we almost pee ourselves. I'm missing my kids and I think they are missing me. They keep calling and making me laugh. So far, though, I haven't had to resort to the Depends :)

Again, thanks for the sweet concern. I'm down but not out. I must have a really good body to be able to put up with all this abuse.

Thanksgiving blessings to you all.

Love, Mikie