Now I have Crohn's Disease in addition to FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Sep 21, 2005.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi all my FM and CFIDS friends, I have not been with you for a while. I was hospitalized again for dehydration (second time in 6 months) except this time I broke out in ulcers, everywhere, all over body, in mouth, high fever, watery diarrhea, joints pain so bad couldn't lift a water glass or brush my teeth.

I was subsuquently dx'd with Crohn's Disease. The gastroenterologist was wonderful. He saved my life. I was in hospital 4 days, had emergency colonoscopy, fluids, steroids, four different antibiotics.

I am home now recuperating. It will be a long haul for me but I am already so much better.

Now I have this in addition to FM. Oh well.... I am so glad to be alive right now.

Peace and blessings,
    Michelle
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I hope you start to fell a bit better soon. Nothing like adding something else to the already full plate!

Kelly
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Welcome back!!
    I'm so glad they figured it all out and your getting better~ I suspected crohns for me because my IBS is sooooo bad at times I wonder. But one main symptom with that is bloody diarea. and I've never had that.
    ???? is that true?? did you have that sign too?
    My sed rate is up again,..indicating inflammtion somewhere. Feels like I'm inflammed everywhere!!
    anyhoo- still take it easy,... and you'll be in my thoughts :)
    hugs
    Tandy
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

And, I'm so glad you're feeling better. How wonderful to have such a good doctor.

Take care...rest...let us know how you're doing.

Big hugs...but gentle.

Sue
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

for your kind posts. This is going to be a real learning experience for me.

Tandy about the bloody diarrhea, no I never saw any VISIBLE blood, my diarrhea was about as watery as it could get. However when they tested me my iron was very low and the colonoscopy showed bloody lesions in the intestine, so I was bleeding, very gradually, over a long period of time.

I was fortunate ALL the symptoms blew up simultaneously - the diarrhea, mouth sores, body ulcers and joint pains, so it was an easy dx to make - textboook Crohn's. Also the fevers.

Michelle
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

while I'm not happy to hear about your 'new' illness, I am really happy that you have survived and had a diagnosis.

What a time you've been through but now you can rest and take care of yourself. I know that Crohns is a very serious illness but it can be helped by diet and I'm sure now you have the diagnosis, all the medical help will be there for you.

Welcome back
    love
    Rosie
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

one more question,please.
    Did you have attacks of stomach pains.?
    I think Crohns and Diverticultis have many symptoms the same.
  8. spasco

spasco New Member

Michelle,

I have Crohn's and FMS too. I've had them both for 27 yrs now. I got them both at pretty much the same time. I've had 2 surgeries and many, many experiences. If you want to talk or just ask ?'s feel free to post here, or PM, or email me anytime. I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

God bless! Stephanie
  9. pastel

pastel New Member

I've not got practical suggestons, just a little love comin'
    your way today. I follow your posts and feel I "know" you
    just a little, well, given the circumstances...am sure you
    know what I mean.

I hope you heal quickly and find ways to live well with
    this diagnosis, and that others have suggestions that may
    be a blessing to you; perhaps like the doxy??

Love,

Catherine
  10. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Thank God you are OK now. I am so sorry to hear you were SO ill. I don't know what to say except it is good to hear that you are feeling better and I pray you get better with each day.

I know about slow recovery and what it feels like to fight your way back a little bit each day. If you get discouraged, come and rant here. We'll support you.

Thank you so much for letting us know and please keep us posted as you recover.

Many blessings to you and big hugs,

Kim
  11. chubby

chubby New Member

There was a good article on Crohns in the March/April and May/June 2004 issues of the Saturday Evening Post magazine. The doctors interviewed say that most Crohns is caused by the MAP bacteria which is passed to people through dairy products. There are special antibiotics which are effective against it. There are apparently a lot of doctors using the treatment now with a high percentage of cures.

It might be worth your time to find the issues at a library and check it out. I'm sure there is some info on the internet too. Good luck.
  12. sirensinger

sirensinger New Member

I don't have crohn's but I know that up to a month ago, my medical and rheumatologist thought I did. The one thing that really helped me was some therapy for anxiety, water, and really sticking to a candida free diet. I am going to look up this doxy product but for me, natural is the way to go (it might be natural) so cleanse your system and hydrate. Make your body as close to acid free even if it takes a little digestive suppliment, it actually should help your FM. I go to a Dr. McNett who has several articles on this which you can probably google and find. Good luck and get well.
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Chubby had some very good information, see her post above. I read a few years ago that Crohn's may be linked to a bacterial infection, just like it's been discovered that most ulcers are due to a bacterial infection and can be treated wtih antibiotics (this happened with my brother-in-law)

So if you've been diagnosed with Crohn's, I would definitely do more research on it and antibiotic treatment. It may be easier to deal with than in the past.

Mary