Now I'm Confused

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marinemom, Sep 27, 2002.

1. marinemom

marinemom New Member

and I realize that it doesn't take much to do that, but here goes.

Earlier I posted a message regarding the epsom salts baths. And I thank EVERYONE for their responses. As soon as I pick up my monster from school, I'm heading to the store for the "goods".

Anyway, Mikie says it takes the magnesium out of our body and that's what makes the muscles feel better. But, I thought that we needed magnesium to help our muscles.

Could someone please clear this up.
  2. marinemom

marinemom New Member

and I realize that it doesn't take much to do that, but here goes.

Earlier I posted a message regarding the epsom salts baths. And I thank EVERYONE for their responses. As soon as I pick up my monster from school, I'm heading to the store for the "goods".

Anyway, Mikie says it takes the magnesium out of our body and that's what makes the muscles feel better. But, I thought that we needed magnesium to help our muscles.

Could someone please clear this up.
  3. sean

sean New Member

As far as I was aware from my knowledge when I was body building, it was common for serious body builders to take magnesium supplements, to help reduce muscle aches. So I would assume a lack of magnesium in the body would cause your muscles to ache. I'm not sure what effect epsoms salt have, maybe they have an high magnesium content or something, why not do a search for epsom salts or magnesium, and see if you can pick up any info on the effects of them on the body.
  4. svajainga

svajainga New Member

Unfortunately, I can't clear up this dilemma-but I'm sure that someone out there on this board can!!! I'm very curious to know the answer to this one. I have tried the epsom salt bath a total of 2 times in my life. the first time I used the "suggested" amount of salt,I can't remember what the quantity was- the second time I used a tiny amount
    because of the horrible reaction to the first.The result-
    I will NEVER again set even my little toe into one of these baths again!!!! Both times I became extremely ill,I was sweating,dizzzy,VERY nauseous,my skin was red and burning,
    it felt like someone had set me on fire while sitting in a sauna!! I don't know if anyone else has had a reaction like this,but I would love to know any information that might help me figure out why it affected my body in this way.Maybe I am just a strange FIBRO freak girl???
    svajainga
  5. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi all, I have been reading alot about the hot baths, saunas, and other methods of detoxing the body, what you have described as a reaction sounds like the toxins were being released. For some I guess you get skin erruptions, nausea (while liver may be clearing toxins), and weakness is common. You do need to replenish certain minerals and vitamins but I couldnt' tell you right now what ones are lost a lot doing these "relaxing" detoxing rituals. I do beleive in all of this, but it does scare me a bit too...esp. when they say to EXPECT these reactions and it is a GOOD? sign. Im pretty ignorant now, but am still digging for answers. Eileen
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not feeling my best and can't remember what I wrote, but I'll go back and check because if I made a mistake, I want to fix it before I confuse everyone else.

The magnesium in the salts goes into the body through the open pores which dialate in the hot water. The ZMA from this website is an excellent way to get Magnesium too and it helps with sleep.

Love, Mikie

P.S. Had it right. I probably just didn't word it as clearly as I might have.
  7. xo4damama

xo4damama Member

Oops!! got busted on the link thing! Shame shame on me!

If you want the info go to BBB AUTISM and look up parent guides. They have a ton of epsom salt info. If you have trouble finding it you can email them and they will send it..or let me know!

Sorry to the moderator! Newbie mistake.

(Edited by Moderator)

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2002]