Now many of you with FMS are Thin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marw, Mar 17, 2006.

1. marw

marw New Member

I'm starting this thread out of curiosity, because someone started a different thread asking about people here who are heavy. There are hundreds of people here, so I figured only the heavy people might answer the other thread, but maybe if there are thin people they will answer this one?

I am thin, and I thought it went with getting the FM, even though I read that all body types can get it. I have always been thin....but not skinny....more small framed. I weigh 100 lbs usually (sometimes a 2 to 5 lbs. more)and am 5'2' tall.

I probably just feel like the pain is worse....I imagine it is the same (bad) for anyone, regardless of their weight! But psychologically, I will feel "wasted" when I have a flare...like my flesh is melting off my bones.

Anyone else out there thin? How do you feel?

Margaret
  2. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

most all of my life and have had FMS just as long.
    Now, A.C. (after children) I am struggling with my weight. One culprit was a medication I am on that causes strong sugar and carb cravings.
    Honestly I felt no better at 130 than I do at 160. And I am still working on seeing that svelt woman within.
    A
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I think it is a combination of drugs rx'ed for fibro and a dysfunctioning endocrine system.

I have always been long and thin .... 5'11.5" tall and weight 135lbs ... sometimes 132 - sometimes 136lbs.

I don't believe weight has anything to do with "catching" fibromyalgia. I have a hard time aggreeing with the type A personality being a big target too. Just to many of us from across all lines to be able to label these illnesses with a body type/personality type.

We all need to "look" inward and see if we like what's there ... If we like what we see then that's really all that matters .....

Take care,

Elsa
  4. marw

marw New Member

....it seemed so many were saying they had weight gains or were heavy, and both my friend's daughter and I (who have FM) are thin, and we thought that had something to do with it. Obviously not!! Although, because they don't really know what causes it, I wonder if it might have multiple causes, and different origins in different people.

Didn't mean to imply psychological issues....I consider this disease entirely physical! It was certainly devastating when it hit, however. I was so very active, and so happy, also, and I did like myself. Then after I got sick, so many things changed. It has been hard not to blame myself, even though I know it is nothing I did.....I had a very hard time with DENIAL. Guess I still do sometimes. I really loved my life before, and I keep wanting it back!!!! I guess we all do. Acceptance can be hard.
  5. memawwade

memawwade New Member

I should be so lucky!! I know, I know, some people do have that problem and I have not always been overweight, but have always, in my memory had fibromyalgia; just didn't know it until about 15 years ago.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2006]
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Right now I am at my all time low, and my Dr.s are getting worried, I know it is from the FMS, as there is a subset of people with FMS who can't keep weight on.

I have been here, rolling eyes, over 5 years and every now and then this subject comes up, I used to be the only one, untill one of the Mod.s here joined, and then a few more over the years, who are also on The Thin side.

I was always thin, but when I hit middle 40's I gained weight, and I was miserable, so I know how other's feel. I was at my all time high, 190lbs.
    When the FMS, Flare started in 96, I lost over 70lbs.
    In a short time, about 3 months we figure.

I gained some of it back, but lately, I am going through a lot of Stress, and I am at my all time Low,
    108lbs, and I am 5'7".
    Just had a Bone Denisty test, I am anxious to see, if this weight loss has made a Big difference in my Test Results, since the one I had done 2 years ago.

You might want to check out Devin Starlanyl's book, She talks about the SUbset of FMSer's who do lose weight.
    The problem is, how to change it, when Food makes me sick, I can't even stand the smell of a lot of Food's that I used to love. I hate this DD.
    Check out Leaky Gut food sensitivity, also,

To thoes who are going to rush, to give me, advise on eating, Thank You, but believe me, when I say, I have tried it all over the years. ;o) :eek:)
    Even the "Drinks" make me toss my cookies, you could say.
    No Malt's and I Miss them, but they too make me sick.

Hug's,
    sharonk
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2006]
  7. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I've weighed 113 lbs since I was 16--I'm 56 now. Over the last few months I've gained 8 lbs(no meds)--the first time in my adult life. I'd always been 'energizer bunny' type A or A/B personality, and was good with 4 to 6 hrs sleep per night-what a joke now. I got mono in April/May...then CF...now FM.

Have there been any really comprehensive studies done on this?....down to the really trivial stuff...like personality types, how many of us color our hair and if so what color(a woman I heard of colored red and ended up dx'd with copper poisoning), how many smoke, drink Pepsi, etc., etc.?

If there have been studies done, where can I find it?

Foggygirl
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

No. About in the range for my height, maybe could lose 5lbs or not, I usualy fluctuate a little around the ideal weight for my height. When my Hashimotos has had flares I tend to go up and down. Or is IBS is flaring.

I think people on a lot of meds often gain weight due to the meds or the fact that side effects make them very tired.

Just my 2c worth,

Love Anne C
  9. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Margaret...I am thin, just about the same as Elsa...6' tall and 140 lbs. (plus 5 at times). Sometimes the nausea makes it hard to eat, although I tend to use food as a crutch. I have to work at keeping my weight down. Interesting thread...Ann
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm a skinny one.

Always the last one to join the dinner table and the last to leave.
    I'm about 5.5 and weigh 114.
    which is a good weight for me,..I always gain in the winter. so this is the fat me :)
    In the summer I drop about 6 lbs,maybe a lil more.

Sometimes tho when my IBS gets really bad,I fear eating much because I just have so much stomach/bowel trouble/pain. I easily can drop a few lbs in a week when my IBS flares.
    It shows easily on me. Not only my body but my face gets thin and drawn. I hate it!
    When I feel horrible I think it shows.

Hugs
    Tandy

11. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

but now am not, and everyone I know with fibro which is about 6 different people are over weight I am not saying they are exremely heavy but they are ae big as me or bigger.

I am about 202lbs.

Pamela
  12. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Last year this time I was 5'4', 119 lbs. I was already eating very healthy at that time. Then I got on the candida diet and dropped 10 lbs. like nothing, so down to 109.

No sweeteners of any kind (so, already eating no sugar, but dropped out honey and maple syrup); and no flour products (no bread, no wheat at all), only a few fruits.

Then, started treatment for Lyme Disease. Dropped another 5 lbs., down to 104 at my lowest. I think I'm up 2 more pounds now, so, a whopping 106.

I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. Only healthy fats. I love nuts, and eat them daily. Eat mostly unprocessed, organic foods.

How do I feel? Very weak. Psychologically have ups and downs according to fatigue levels, and intensity levels of lyme treatment.

Take care, better days ahead,
    Hopeful4
  13. mom4three

mom4three New Member

I am thin as well. oh and I am 5'4" too. I have received responses from doctors Before that I cannot have it because I am thin. Can you believe that >rolls eyes<
  14. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I am five six and weigh 129 and size 6. I used to weigh 115 for many years, but when I turned forty I gained 30 lbs. Then three years ago I lost about 15 and have been this weight since. This somewhat corresponds with my DF flare. My twin sister also has CF. She has always weighed more than me, but now she weighs even less! She is dx ing with her antiboitics and cant' eat much. My SIL gained over 30 lbs when she got fibro, but I think she has a thyriod issue. Her dr said her thryoid was fine, but that was just a regular MD. She has never been to FFC or any good dr.
    good luck to all of you!!!
  15. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Although I can track my DD back quite a few years, I started off thin, but after my third daughter, this DD got to me, after that I have been crashing constantly from minor excertion.

I noticed (inner sense) that my endocrine system went from one end to the other after I had her, and gained 30 pounds AFTER loosing all the weight FIRST as she was born. I changed nothing, but my body changed.

I got rid of 10 of those, but 20 pounds on my frame changes appearance totally. I still have my old favvo jeans in my drawers JUST IN CASE! It's hard to let go,,,,

It's hard to be thin and all for 38 years, and then suddenly change appearance.

My mom (FM) had the same problem. But at her age (71) a few extra pounds only fill out the wrinkles! She looks healthier than me!
  16. justlooking

justlooking New Member

5'6" 96-104lbs My weight fluctuates. When I have a crash I lose even if I eat and then when I start to feel a little better I put a little back on, even if I don't eat...it's all really wierd.

Before I got sick my normal weight was 113-117.

BTW I have been diagnosed with both FM and CFS and I also suffer from a "chronic headache disorder"
    I have pain daily but it is when the cycles of fatigue come in that I crash hard and lose weight. [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2006]
  17. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I have always been a little person. The most I ever weight was 118 lbs and that was heavy for more. My normal weight throughout the years has been 105-100. Ever since I came down with CFS I look aneroxic.

I am 5' 3 1/2 inches tall and right now I weigh 87 pounds. All of my bones stick out and I look HORRIBLE!!! I cannot even wear a size 1 in jeans. Kids jeans are out too, because they are too short on me.

Isn't it fun having no shape, no curves, just a bony little body.

My honest opinion is that being much thinner than you should be for a long period of time can do terrible things to your body.

We are kind of like an aneroxic person. Only we do not have the disease. If you get to skinny, it can do damage to all parts of your body.

If you do not have an appetite, EAT ANYWAY!! That is what I am trying to do now. I have gained 1.3 pounds in the last two weeks. Not much, but every little helps.

Also check out your meds, see if they can cause weight loss. This contributes too.

And do not forget stress, some people lose weight with stress. I have Panic/Anxiety Disorder and HIGH Cortisol. Tons of stress thinking there is something more going on. All of this medical testing has played it toll on me. Especially when I had to go see a Cancer Doctor for awhile because of high white cell counts.

I can lose (massive) weight in a week 10 lbs. sometimes.

If you are on an antidepressant, I have heard that Paxil XR can help you gain weight. You might want to see if you can change to Paxil.

I also drink Boost PLUS at LEAST once a day. It is supposed to help you maintain and gain weight.

That's all I can think of.

Just remember, it is NOT GOOD for our bodies, especially if you look aneroxic and are very bony.

I hope there are more posts here to help us!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  18. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I was at my ideal weight for my height. I am 5'2", and I weighed around 113 at the time. Then, when it all hit me, I got so sick, I lost 12 pounds in about 3 months! That was almost 2 years ago, and now, with the meds I'm on, I do have an appetite-I'm sure it's the Zoloft and the Methadone that do that.

But I'm trying to stay disciplined and not allow myself to get too heavy, because I know I can sway that way, too. Those darned cravings!! I'll give up my entire lunch for an ice cream cone!! :)

I do try to exercise as much as possible, too. PG
  19. marw

marw New Member

Thank you, everyone who has answered this post. I am intrigued by your answers, and find it interesting how we all differ, but yet we are alike in so many ways.

I started another Flare today, so I am in mega pain. I don't have anything to add right now, but maybe others will continue to post on this thread.

I do think exercise is so important for me, especially because of being thin. I try to keep muscle, and that helps. Right now, I have been forbidden to exercise (the GI doc that did my Colonoscopy last week said none for 10 days) and it has nearly ruined me. I think this is why I am having the Flare.

I noticed that I will drop a couple of pounds in a Flare, but then gain it back. I also drink Ensure between meals. (I have tried making my own protein drinks, but protein powder always gives me a Migraine, even the hypoallergenic kind.) Actually, I'm a good weight for me, but I have to fight sometimes to keep it there. But I was like that even before the FM.

I soooo hope, as we all do, for a CURE!!!

So glad you are all here!
    Margaret

20. janieb

janieb New Member

Always been fairly thin, but now I just don't care about eating at all. It's just too much trouble. Cook for the others and clean up.

Mary