Now they want to put me on neurontin...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Oct 14, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

But I know nothing about it.Also,will it help with the fatigue factor? I'm still feeling really down, spent my whole day in bed today, but am hoping that tomorrow things will feel a little better. I'm still teetering on thbrink, but a am leaning towads the safe side
    Thank you all

Maria

PS anyone have info on herbal remedies for tiredness that are OK to take with other meds
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

But I know nothing about it.Also,will it help with the fatigue factor? I'm still feeling really down, spent my whole day in bed today, but am hoping that tomorrow things will feel a little better. I'm still teetering on thbrink, but a am leaning towads the safe side
    Thank you all

Maria

PS anyone have info on herbal remedies for tiredness that are OK to take with other meds
  3. RedB

RedB New Member

Hi Maria. I know of something that I am pretty sure will help. In fact, it will probably help most people here, because it has worked wonders for me, and not much else has. There is a "sublingual" Vitamin B-12 pill that is made by a company called Trivita. Just do a web search for "Trivita" and you will find it. The pill is taken once a day, and is dissolved under the tongue. This apparently helps it go directly to the bloodstream. This is not one of those things that you have to take for several months before you know anything. I have had FM for 5 years, and about a year ago I discovered this, thanks to a Canadian e-mail friend who also suffers. I recognized the difference in myself within just a couple of days. I went from having a hard time just putting one foot in front of the other to having most of my old energy back. It has done absolutely nothing for my pain, but it gave me back my life. I no longer have to lay back down in bed after I take a shower. And I almost never nap anymore. I suspect that Vitamin B-12 shots from your personal doctor would also do the trick, but I am 1/2 hour away from my doctors, so these vitamins are a wonderful find. Plus, they are cheaper. I'd love to have feedback on this board from those of you who try them. I have this horrible fear that the company will either go out of business, or the pills will become so popular that I won't be able to purchase them any more. I would definitely recommend them for anyone suffering from fatigue of any kind. Don't forget, let me know if they help! P.S. Is it okay to post our e-mail addys here for people to respond to us? I'm not sure of the rules.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/14/2002]
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I'm so glad to hear you are leaning toward the safe side--of that brink, Maria. I can't help you with the neurontin question--but did want to wish you an even better day tommorrow!
    Karen
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Maria,
    I have been on Neurontin for almost a year now, and it seems to help me more than some of the other meds I have taken. I also have no noticeable side effects from it, but some others have had strange reactions. My doctor started me with a low dose and had me build up gradually. I suspect that some people might have started with too high a dose. I was off it for nearly a month while we changed prescription plans, and I really noticed the difference. I can't say as I have noticed a difference in my sleep patterns, but I am one of those weird night people trying to function in a daytime world. I have had trouble sleeping at night my entire life. Used to drive my mother nuts. I have a life long history of bizarre reactions to drugs, so if I can use it, I would guess it's fairly safe. It is recommended that you wear an id tag that lets ER staff know you are taking it should you be in an accident or something and be unable to communicate. As far as herbals go, I would check with your pharmacist. He knows everything you are taking and should be aware of any potential problem combinations. In my opinion, Neurontin is definitely worth a try. I hope it works for you.
    Kathryn
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

While sublingual B-12 is better than a pill you would swallow, the best form of B-12 is by ubjection in large doses. Most of us are low on it, but it won't show up on a blood test. If you decide you want to try the sublingual this site sells it and most of their products are lower priced and high quality.

Barbara
  7. toots2

toots2 New Member

Posted about this before but want you to know I tried it and it did nothing but made me sleepy, really sleepy. It almost knocked me out at first. I don't read where it is used much anymore for fibro. It is for pain from nerve endings whereas our pain is from connective tissue problems and our muscles. You could give it a try and see if it helps. Suzanne
  8. toots2

toots2 New Member

And it certainly won't do a thing for your fatigue. I don't know anything that will but I've been reading that some drs. are now prescribing ritalin and other stimulants for the boost that we need. I have a friend who is on some kind of a stimulant for her fibro and she says it has really helped her a lot. Makes sense that it would if it didn't make us to nervous or interupt with our sleep. Just a thought. Suzanne
  9. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

Good morning Maria; I just returned from my neurologist yesterday with pretty good news about the neurontin. I take 600 mgs at night which has helped considerably with the sleep deprivation, still on 1/2 tramadol (pain med) at night and 1 during the morning. My trigger points are down...alot... but unfortunately I have noticed a weight gain though I walk 1-2 miles everday or every other day... but.. again, I am sleeping much better, not fatigued during the day as much. I have had some abnormal side effects, but she does not feel that it is caused by the Neurontin. I have been having severe pms. Confusion/anxiety/sadness. My husband went to the dr. with me and we both agree that my "sex drive" is down... again..related??? So, we all agreed that I try wellbutrin along with the Neurontin.. I will update you on that once I see how that works for me. I believe alot of my sadness..etc.. is because I have not been able to work and I have a child with Aspergers..daily stress.. but I have hope. I am sleeping like I did prior to the fibro days... God bless... I do believe it has helped me alot.. Barb
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...made me so dizzy I couldn't drive & I had a terrible headache. These are common side effects. Many people with FM use it successfully, tho, maybe building up to a safe dose. Good luck with it!

Pam
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Before even considering taking Ritalin, an SSRI, or any other kind of stimulant, read Dr. Paul Cheney's article here in our library on SSRI's. Also read the sister article on Klonopin, a similar med to Neurontin. The article on Klonopin explains why we can't sleep, have RLS, anxiety, and sensory overload.

I like Klonopin because you don't seem to build a tolerance like with the Neurontin. Docs seem to prefer the Neurontin for some reason, but a lot do prescribe the Klonopin. The trick with both these meds is to start slowly to reach the proper dose.

Klonopin is taken night and day with a much, much lighter dose taken during the day. Klonopin and Neurontin are designed to quiet the neurons which seem to overfire in our brains, causing a slight state of seizure. Both these meds are anti-seizure drugs.

Since taking Klonopin, I am getting quality sleep, waking refreshed without groggyness, having no more anxiety attacks, and controlling my sensory overload. Not everyone has the same reaction to drugs as others. Everything we do is trial and error.

Neurontin and Klonopin are not designed to help with pain directly. They help indirectly by helping us to get better sleep so our muscles can repair themselves and our bodies can release the human growth hormone.

Love, Mikie
  12. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

and Ultracet, wellbutrin, and zanaflex. Don't know what to do, but I will not take any drug that causes me to gain weight. I have done that allready and still can't take off the lbs[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2002]