Now this is smart if you eat potatoes!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alyssa-Admin, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

2. Alyssa-Admin

I am actually curious as to how many of you have cut nightshade veg out of your diets? I ask because the other day I made ratatouille (eggplant and tomatoes and basically a nightshade concoction through and through) and I have been aching over and above ever since....
  3. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Oh (ouch!) Alyssa! The only nightshade that bothers me is potatoes. I love 'em, fried, baked, boiled, mashed, whatever. But I suffer after I eat them. I get joint pains.

No other nightshades bother me. (I don't have FM/CFS), but I have gluten intolerance and candida flare-ups, and a bunch of other things going on.....)

SPEAKING OF "SMART" (referenced in your title) --

Have you heard about white rice?

Supposedly, adding the coconut oil into the boiling water, cooking, then putting the rice in the fridge, can make it healthier!

From the Washington Post Article: "The oil interacts with the starch in rice and changes its architecture," said James. "Chilling the rice then helps foster the conversion of starches. The result is a healthier serving, even when you heat it back up."

Just tossing this out to you! You can make a new post about this, if you like.

I hope you're feeling better after your ratatouille!

Hugs, Diane
  4. Alyssa-Admin

That's very interesting about the rice and coconut oil... Right now I'm back to low carbing... I was doing so well with it down from a size 22 to a 12...and then I don't know what happened... I guess I had enough of it all.... Chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes (we buy ours frozen Ana they are awesome with creme fraiche and butter) and baked beans... Our favourite meal... And then Christmas... And I'm right back to where I was!

I'm figuring I've definitely got candida overgrowth (the obvious hint is I have an infection in the corner of my mouth and its being treated with canesten... So I need to get this under control.... And admittedly don't know where to start other than the foods I'm not supposed to be eating... Dairy is going to be the hardest as well as eggs. We'll see!

Diane, do you know the importance of cooking rice properly before sticking it in the fridge? Rice needs to be spread out and cooled completely before putting it into the fridge otherwise you risk bacteria cereals. (I know this from my restaurant days and having to have a food hygiene certificate).

You can get severe food poisoning if you don't cool rice properly... As in people have died from it!

I've been making protein balls with sugar free peanut butter, coconut oil, shredded coconut, cinnamon, cocoa powder, banana flavoring that's sugar free. I have a mini cake pop scoop and use that for the mix (Oops, I also put in whey protein powder). One little ball can keep me going most of the day! I saying that I'm not sure if peanut butter
    is yet another no no for candida as I know it's important to refrigerate it but I have it in my mind that peanuts carry mold spores or something like that.

Tonight we had eggs, I whisked them up with some shredded parmasan and the leftover ratatouille (stupid me) parmasan and topped with mozzarella and pepperoni... And a good Caesar salad minus the croutons and added Avocado. It was yummy! But already my neck is killing me and I'm very fatigued. Hello nightshade invasion!
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Never knew there were nightshade vegetables, Alyssa. But I've seen deadly
    nightshade used in old mysteries.

I have ancestors from Ireland, Norway, Germany and England. All
    countries that have potatoes in their cuisine. Here's my potato tip:
    if you want to avoid the calories in dairy toppings, try chicken broth
    on your baked potato. (If you don't like the result, you can make
    chicken soup.)

6. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi everybody!

Alyssa, I didn't know that you have a background in food, and have a food hygiene certificate! That sounds very useful, both in business and in everyday life.

I didn't know that about the rice, having to be properly cooled. That's great info.

Does that also apply to brown rice and wild rice, as well as other grains such as quinoa? Just curious, if you know.

For the most part, I combine my cooked rice into recipes. (My current fave is the wild rice.) So I'll cook the rice per package instructions. Drain. Then incorporate into my recipe, like shrimp stir fry. But, because I've used shellfish, or beef or chicken etc., when the meal is done and I have eaten, the leftovers go into the fridge immediately (while still hot-ish), to prevent food poisoning from leaving the leftovers on the counter.

Rock, love the taters and chicken broth idea. I've seen that done on TV. Kevin (hubby) is still old-fashioned. He thinks taters need a dab of butter, milk, and mashing. :)

Great conversation here! I hope you're feeling better, Alyssa. I know about eating the no-no's, even when we know what will happen. 'Cause they taste sooo good. :)

Oh, I heard about the "mold" issue with peanuts, when I was researching candida. I stay away from peanuts and peanut butter. Have you tried COCONUT OIL CAPSULES for a candida outbreak? They "saved" me, when the prescription drugs did not work. Just a thought.

Take care.

Hugs, Diane