Nucynta-starting today-need info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Dec 22, 2010.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

Anyone out there on Nucynta? My pain doc recommended it yesterday because I was complaining about constipation with hydrocodone (I have IBS). He said this was fairly new and had only a few patients on it.

I've been searching the internet but wanted to also check this board for anyone who has tried it and how they did.

I'm starting today so any responses would be appreciated. Based on your comments, I might wait to start until after Christmas in case it knocks me out.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
  2. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

I have taken it for a while and with good results. It is about the only thing that does help me and was recommended by my pain management doctor. I can't say that I really have any side effects and I generally tolerate meds well. One med I could not take was Savella. Everyone is different, but I wish you well with it and hope it helps.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I tried it about 6 months ago. It wasn't as effective for me but I'm on stronger meds. It didn't knock me out at all, actually it did the opposite, almost made he kind of anxious. That may not be the right word. I just couldn't really relax. I was in pain so tried to rest, but couldn't.

I know it's expensive, so my Dr. gave me a card to use from the manufacturer for a few months of credit towards my co-pay or something. I can't remember how that worked. I have good insurance so don't know why I needed that thinking back.

Everyone is very different, so I would certainly give it a try. It may be a very good option for you!

PS. I have IBS -D, so since being on pain meds, I have actually been 'normal". That's been the good side effect for me.

Good Luck!
  4. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

I can only take it if I have nothing planned for the next day. It knocks me out and if I try and function, forget it. All I can do is sleep. That and it makes me itch so bad that I have to take Benadryl with it, which makes me even more sleepy. I tried taking just half of one, but still had the itchies so bad. So I have to decide whether I want to be drugged up and itchy or pain free for a day. I swear, it's always a trade-off, isn't it?! lol!

5. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

I just saw your post so sorry for the late response! I love Nucynta...when I can afford it. It makes me have what I call "swimmy head" when it first kicks in but it truly takes care of my pain. I had to stop taking it because it was $300 a month...WITH my insurance! I rarely itched with this medicine (unlike hydrocodone which makes my nose itch BAD). I hope Nucynta works as well for you as it did for me and hopefully one day I can afford to get back on it!

Good Luck!