numb fingers and toes fibro symptom?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LeightonLAM, Mar 26, 2007.

1. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

4 days ago when i woke up my right arm was numb, and my right foot. This happens a lot when i sleep in the wrong position.

So i shook it off and expected to feel blood rush into my arm and foot. But unlike other times, it took me about 30 minutes to get all the feeling back in my toes, and several hours to get all the feeling back in my right hand and fingers.

I figured that it was an isolated event and thought that would be the end of it. but within a couple of hours my index finger, middle finger, and ring finger were all completely numb at the tips, and then my right big toe went numb again too.

Since then i experience numbness in my toes and fingers quite often. There doesnt seem to be a trigger. I can be sitting watching tv, reading a book, going for a walk, cooking, typing, etc.

do i need to be concerned or is this normal for people with fibro?
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good idea to check with your doctor but for me it can happen when I need an adjustment from my chiropractor. We get out of alignment and nerves can become pinched, especially if we tend to sleep in the same position most of the time.

I wouldn't say it's "normal for people with fibro" but it doesn't have to be anything to worry about. Talk to your doc - who probably would not recommend a chiro but I like mine.

Marta
  3. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

I was worried but was trying to avoid calling the doctor unless it was something danerous. My husband thought it could have been a mini stroke.

i've had enough new stuff over the last couple of weeks, i really dont need to add more.

First my cholesterol came back at 489, with the normal being 150 or less. Then i found a tick attached to my leg, and have to be on antibiotics for 10 days. then my blood counts came back low again. So back on iron and vitamin c.

in the last 30 days i have gone from taking 8 pills a day to 18 pills a day. its crazy.
  4. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I just got back from my PCP!! I had gone last week for this and had a nerve conduction test on arms that I apparently "flunked". i was given Tramadol for pain and an increase of Gabepentin to 600 mg. 3x daily.

No difference but he said to come back today to discuss it. He argued about taking me off of Trazadon for sleep and I argued back! He asked if I had numbness in fingers and dropped papers. I told him I did. He poked abd prodded and nothing.Said he had planned to send me to surgeon but decided not to and come back in 2 weeks.

I don't know anything!!!!!!!!@!!i told hubby that I just think that he does not KNOW all the things that go with FMS!!! And I do believe that is true.

Yes, my fingers and toes and feet are numb.

Gentle Hugs.

Joan
  5. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

When that happened to me, it was a herniated disc that was the problem. It could be a vascular problem as well. NEVER assume that it is just FM.
  6. LeightonLAM

LeightonLAM New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I did notice that most people recommended going to the doctor just in case.

I am also thinking it may be something else. My right leg and arm are really weak today and i have been feeling dizzy (the type where the room spins in circles)

I checked the side effect info for the new meds and none of them indicate the possibility of numbness or weakness like this.

I did find however that Lyme Disease can cause numbness in hands, feet, etc. But I only got bit about a week ago. So I dont think that that could be the cause.
  7. LACurrry

LACurrry New Member

I have lost feeling in my hands, especially the fingers. Also have numbness in legs and feet. Had an EMG (nerve study) done and there is no damage....they said it must be from the FM.