Number, Please: A New Song Game!

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Jul 29, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's a new song game suggested by Rock. Songs with numbers in the title (or in the lyrics).
    He posted these three on another board to start us off: Enjoy!

"Three O'Clock in the Morning"

"Seventy-Six Trombones"

"Tea for Two"
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

More Songs:

"High Noon" From the 1952 Western, High Noon, sung by Tex Ritter. "Do not forsake me oh my darling on this our wedding day...."

"Pennsylvania 65000" Recorded by Glenn Miller and his orchestra, 1940. "Got my shoes shined up got my hair slicked down, cause baby I wanna hit the town...."

"Three Coins in the Fountain" From the 1954 movie of the same name. Centered around the Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy. "Three coins in the fountain, each one seeking happiness. Thrown by three hopeful lovers, which one will the fountain bless."
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Oh, good! A new game. Here's a title that's all numbers. 2:10 6:18 10:44. Rod
    McKuen (who replaced Irving Berlin as the songwriter with the worst voice) wrote
    this song decades ago. It has a nice tune and sad lyrics. (The numbers tell us
    what time the train leaves.)

Rod didn't ask me, but I could have told him it was a dumb title. No way people are
    going to remember all those digits. Anyhoo the song has been re-titled to "Doesn't
    Anybody Know My Name".

You can find it under both names on Youtube. If you want to hear it sung by
    better singers, there are versions by Jimmie Rodgers as well as the Kingston Trio.

Old country western favorite: "Heartaches by the Number". (There are 3 of them.)

"One Alone" from the operetta The Desert Song.

Probably the biggest number: "I Found a Million Dollar Baby (in a
    5 and ten cent store). From the 1930s.

And perhaps the ultimate in numbers: 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.

Rock

4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I thought of one of those a little while ago, "One Alone". I think I just heard it recently in a movie. Must have been the Sigmund Romberg story. Good ones.

More:

"Set Um Up Joe" by Vern Gosdin, "A quarter till three, there's no one in the place except you and me, so set um up Joe...."

"The Twelve Days of Christmas"

"Love, Look at the Two of Us" The Carpenters

"Seven Lonely Days" Georgia Gibbs/Patsy Cline

"Three Blind Mice" Nursery Rhyme

"One Night of Love" 1934 Movie and Song. Sung by Grace Moore.
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

6. rockgor

Hi Kiddo, good list. Grace Moore was a very popular American opera singer who appeared
    on Broadway before becoming an opera singer. She made several movies. I used to
    have some of her recordings. She died in a plane crash a few years after WW II. The
    headline read: Grace Moore & Sweden's Crown Price Die in Plane Crash. Some
    wit observed that Grace would have been pleased. She got top billing.

There's song we used to sing at Bible Camp. It's kinda like the 12 Days of Christmas.
    Starts with 12 apostles and goes through 11 who went to Heaven and 10 for the 10
    commandments all the way down to "One is One and All Alone and Evermore Shall Be So."

You can hear it on Youtube or read about it in Wikipedia. Look for "I'll Sing You
    One Oh, Green Grow the Rushes Oh." (Not the same song that Tex Ritter recorded
    called "Green Grow the Lilacs".)

Four Strong Winds written by Canadian Ian Tyson and recorded by numerous
    folk and country singers.

When You Were Sweet Sixteen sung by such popular favorites as Shirley
    Temple, Al Jolson, Perry Como and Glen Campbell. BTW, one of my coworkers
    who was a neighbor reported that she was very annoyed to come home one day
    and find her teenage son and one of Glen Campbell's teen sons driving Glen's golf
    cart in the street.

Finally, Gordon suggested a song I never heard before: 50 Ways to Leave Your
    Lover by Paul Simon. (On first hearing, it did not make much of an impression.)

Rock (Who is leaving now.)
  7. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I have but 1 heart.
  8. windblade

windblade Active Member

"It was the winter of 65, we were hungry, just barely alive.
    On May 10th, Richmond had fell.
    It was a time I remember oh so well.
    The night they drove Old Dixie down..........."

Written and sung by The Band, then Joan Baez. About a soldier in the Civil War.

Beautiful, deeply felt song.
  9. rockgor

Hi Soul and Windblade, nice to hear from you. I remember that Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
    Hearts Club Album very well. Used to see their records all the time when I was roaming
    around used record stores and thrift shops collecting old records. Still see the
    hedgehog in the backyard, Soul.?

Windblade, I looked up "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down". Written by
    Canadian Robbie Robertson who is about my age. Rolling Stone Magazine
    declared him one of the 100 greatest guitarists. He is in both Canada's and our
    Hall of Fame for Rock and Roll.

But he's not a historian. Richmond did not fall on May 10. It surrendered on April
    3, 1865. Lee surrendered on April 9 and Lincoln was assassinated on April 14. At
    the time it was considered the most momentous 2 weeks in American history. Maybe
    it still is.

Lots of records of Civil War music put out during the centennial when I was a kid.
    I read 1000 songs were written about the war. You can hear a fraction of that
    number on Youtube. Perhaps one of the most famous and admired is Jay Unger's
    Ashoken Farewell, although that was actually written in the 1980s.

Here's a gospel tune I never heard of before that Gordon suggested: 500 miles.
    And from my teen years, Tennessee Ernie Ford's big hit "16 Tons". BTW,
    his name wasn't really Tennessee. He changed it from Kentucky.

Rock
  10. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi all! Oh goody! New game! Woohoo!

I remember Tennessee Ernie Ford and 16 tons was a big hit for him. Great song. Wind, I've been a fan of Joan Baez for years. Great song! Here are some newies and some really great oldies.

I always loved Jimmy Dean. He did a song when I was little called "Little Sandy Sleigh Foot". We dubbed that my brother's song. He wore a 13 AA shoe. LOL.

Have fun all!

Hugz
    Dar
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Speaking of Tennessee Ernie Ford, it reminded me of this hilariously precious video I love. That's his little son beside him.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. rockgor

Hey, Kids

Great video, Hangininthere. I used to watch many of those variety shows. Although
    I think they were music shows. Ed Sullivan was the one with variety. Anyway there were
    Perry and Dean and Andy and Your Hit Parade and lots more.

Never saw the above clip with Ernie. I bet the kids belong to the cast and crew.

Cool vids, Dar. Gordon suggested the railroad song too. One of those pics is not
    a train wreck but the uniting of the country by railroad in 1869 at Promontory
    Point Utah. I read that some of the railroad executives did not approve of the
    famous picture because of the bottles of liquor. Anyhoo the wagon trains faded
    into history. The last Mormon Pioneer who came west on a wagon train (she
    was just a baby) died a century later.

Rock
  13. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Nope, haven't seen the hedgehog since Rock. Would be great to keep the snails and slugs in control.

1812 overture

Nocturn number 5

Five foot two, eyes of blue.

A four legged friend

I'm five

Eight Little Notes

14. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Piano Concerto No. 1

Two lost souls

Six string orchestra as posted on the musical instruments string

Sixty seconds got together

Two of a kind (starts at 4:12)

And the newest muppet song
    I am Number One You are Number 2
  15. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi,

Hang in there. I've never seen that one either. Cool video! Rock, Interesting info. on the Old 97. Soul, love the muppet videos! Neat! I sing the five foot two song with my residents a lot. Funny that one didn't occur to me. Brain farts. Wonderful things o_O

I remember when this song was new!

I still have this one on a 45.

These bring back so many memories!
  16. rockgor

Hi Kids

Have been trying to get up enough energy to post. Maybe I should eat some Post Cereals.
    Ha Ha! If only it were that simple.

Soul, Thanks for posting the Victor Borge Muppet video. Had not seen that one before.
    I think it's from 1979 which would mean Victor was about 70. Imagine throwing
    yourself around like that at his age.

I used to turn a cartwheel every birthday just to see if I could still do it. And then about
    age 63 I suddenly felt this carefree, whimsical behavior may actually be dangerous. So
    I stopped.

GB, that's great that you have info about your ancestors. There's lot of stuff about my
    antecedents, but most of my family is totally uninterested. Anyhoo, in 1909 one of
    my relatives wrote "Old Times on the Upper Mississippi". He spent several years as
    a river boat captain. When the Civil War broke out, he enlisted in the Union Army.
    I was amazed that the LA library let me check the book out.

Well, OK, here are some number songs:

'A Thousand Stars in the Sky'. I don't know this song, but Gordon does.
    'Rolling Home'. A beautiful sea chanty. You can hear several versions on Youtube.
    It talks about the thousands of miles of ocean both behind and before the ship.

'Second Hand Rose', made famous by Fanny Brice who managed to be both a
    comic and a torch song singer. I used to listen to her on the radio when I was
    a kid.

'Santa Catalina', 26 miles across the sea. One of the Channel Islands off the
    Coast of California. An environment full of seals and because of them, also
    a hunting ground for great white sharks.

'Two Little Boys', a song that seems to be about the Civil War. Was written
    half a century after the war ended.

Happy Listening
    Rock
  17. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

HI ALL!

I got a few to add! :)

**1-2-3 Red Light, 1910 Fruitgum Company, 1968

"...Ev'ry time I try to prove I love you,
    1,2,3, Red Light,
    You stop me ..."

DO I GET DOUBLE POINTS for the 1-2-3, and the 1910????? :)

**99 Luftballons, Nena, 1983/84 -- In GERMAN

"...Hast du etwas Zeit für mich
    Dann singe ich ein Lied für dich
    Von 99 Luftballons..."

AND IN ENGLISH

**99 Red Ballooons, Nena, 1983/84 -- In English

"...You and I in a little toy shop
    Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got
    Set them free at the break of dawn
    'til one by one they were gone..."

**I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles), The Proclaimers, 1988

"...But I would walk five hundred miles
    And I would walk five hundred more
    Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
    To fall down at your door..."

**Knock Three Times, Tony Orlando and Dawn, 1970

"... Oh my darling
    Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
    Twice on the pipe if the answer is no
    Oh my sweetness
    [knock knock knock] Means you'll meet me in the hallway
    Twice on the pipe means you ain't gonna show ..."

I hope these aren't repeats! I'm stuck in the '60's, '70's, and '80's right now! LOL

Another great game!

Diane
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  18. Darrae

Darrae Member

19. IceRaven3

IceRaven3 Member

20. IceRaven3

IceRaven3 Member

867-5309 and tell me you didn't SING the numbers! LOL!