Numbness and tingling of the feet and hands?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nikigaylor, Nov 25, 2009.

1. nikigaylor

nikigaylor New Member

I am new here, but not to the fms,cfs and whatever gets linked to me. My father had lupus, my doc. told me fibro is like a gateway for ms and lupus. I was wondering if anyone had burning, numbness and tingling of the hands and feet. Also do hot baths make your legs hurt when you get out, kinda like no bloodflow. It is like a temp. quick fire burn. I am thankful for all your post! I am 35, single mom of three. Just can not keep up anymore! Faceing the disability issue as I can not function anymore. For years I was told I was depressed, I struggled to get understanding from anyone. Thank you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Welcome to the board! I'm sorry you are dealing with this illness at a young age and with children. There are many here who can relate to your issues. I'm older and have fibro. I'm wondering, are you diabetic? The burning, numbness and tingling could be related to diabetes. Were you tested for this?

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

B12 deficiency is very common in people with CFS. My sister who is a vegetarian (also notorious for being deficient in B12) over this last year developed numbness and tingling in different spots on her body. She started supplementing with large doses of B12 and in about a week her symptoms abated. She kept taking the B12 for a couple of weeks and when she stopped, the symptoms returned. I read that it takes years for B12 deficiency to develop so when it develops, a person is very depleted and will probably take awhile to get back to normal levels.

She's taking a liquid she got at the health food store plus a sublingual kind.

You can get your B12 levels checked, or just try supplementing like she did and see if it helps -

4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi and welcome,

The key to recovery is finding the pathogen(s) responsible for your illness/symptoms.

I had only a FMS diagnosis for 21 years before discovering only through my own research that I have a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection. It is otherwise known as Lyme disease.

Do not think that this couldn't apply to you. Remember that our illness was caused by something....and it was likely infectious.

Borrelia burgdorferi is a bacterial spirochete. It can cause all of the symptoms that get diagnosed as FMS, CFS, MS, RA, Lupus, Autism, ADHD, depression, etc.

99% of Dr's do not have any idea how to recognize, diagnose or treat this chronic infection.

Most Dr's run a test for Lyme and get a negative result and immediately say "you don't have lyme". A Borrelia burgdorferi infection should NEVER be ruled out by just a negative lab test.

Perhaps you have even had a negative lyme test. So have I. So have many, many other people with this infection. Testing methods are not that great.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis, based on history and symptoms...not a lab test.

Only Lyme literate MD's really understand how complicated it is.

Lyme can be sexually transmitted, transmitted from mother to fetus, and through breastfeeding.

Burning, numbness and tingling, along with fatigue, pain, etc sure point toward the possibility of a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection.

Many people with lyme also have common coinfections like Babesia, Bartonella and Ehrlichia that complicate the clinical picture.

Please take the time to read this very important info, especially the symptom list on pages 9-11 and coinfection info on pages 22-27.....

I sure hope you get some answers.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

all the previous responses offer good suggestions, and it is always important to rule out other possibilities for any new symptoms......however, it is also very common to have those symptoms as a result of the fibro itself
  6. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Nikigaylor!

Welcome to the boards! This place has been a life saver for many.

I have CFS/FM, Diabetes and RA. (The RA is still kind of "clinical diagnosis" but taking Plaquenil.) Anyway, when I first got sick with CFS, one of my many syptoms was tingling in hand/arms and feet/legs. I still have this syptom now.

My friend who has Lupus also has this tingling/numbness. She and I both have seen Neurologists to rule out Neuro issues... Both of us were told, it's the Lupus and RA respectively.

Sorry you're not doing well... I hope everyone here can give you some great information and lots of encouragement.

7. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Yes, tingling in left hand, half of it, is common for me. I had B12 deficiency. I don't know if I still do. I guess I should put that on my list of things to get checked again.

Also, the legs hurting after hot bath is common also.

Here is conundrum: The warm bath is very good for the aching of fibromyalgia. It also relaxes you, which is part of the problem with fibromylagia, overly stimulated sympathetic mode of the nervous system and nerves / chemicals firing off in the pain area. So calming the nervous system and relaxing the muscles is good.

Vasovagal hypotension is also part of this. That means your nervous system is not constricting the blood vessels to keep the blood up. Now I don't know if this causes pain in legs. I had pain in legs real bad with my FM when I got out of hot bath. But I had symptoms of the vasovagal response as well. The heat not only relaxes the muscles but it also relaxes the blood vessels, exacerbating the vasovagal response.

So, what to do?

If my pain is bad, I take a hot bath. But I stay there long enough for the water to become closer to room temperature. I get the relaxing affect, but I don't go from laying in hot water to standing up, a problem in the vasovagal response. Also, I have a bathroom heater blowing on me so the room is warm, even when the water isn't so hot any more.

8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I have fm, cfs, lupus. I get the feet numbness as a result of the sciatica I have. Starts at the hip & travels down my leg to my feet. A homepathic that helps me is Standard Process Hypericum 30C. Just 3 pellets, and I get relief. I also put magnetic wraps around my ankles & wrists and have massages.

Had to give up hot baths. First time have to do very short warm showers or I will "flare"; like if I go into the sun. Anything too hot takes me into Lupus flares.

Hoping you're not heading there................caroleye
  9. dmholmes

dmholmes New Member

I'll second what Mary said, very likely B12 deficiency. The protocol in the following thread has made a huge difference for me.

Take care,