Numbness in arm - Trusting my Doc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, Jun 9, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Boy, I was doing great after my surgery on Thursday. Friday was good too. Woke up Sat. morn. with some numbness in my arm. By Sun. morn. arm was numb to the wrist. Freaked me out!!

Sujay suggested it could be pressure & I should contact my doc right away. I called his office this morn at 8:10am. The med. staffer I talked to said he was in surgery, she'd give him my message & he'd call me during a break.

At 4:55pm still no call. I was really getting ticked off. So I call them. She said doc left. Long story short, I let her know how ticked off I was that no one called me back & I didn't want to go around with a numb arm the rest of my life yada, yada, yada, cry, cry, cry. Rantings of a madwoman!!lol.

Lo & behold doc was there after all! So I did get to talk to him. He said that when you mess with nerves, you can get all kinds of funny sensations. One thing I noticed is every once in awhile it feels like someone is pouring ice water down my arm!

So he says to give it at least a couple of weeks & it should go away. I told him the reason I freaked out was this never happened when they moved the ulnar nerve (which is the main nerve in your arm) on both arms & this time the ulnar nerve wasn't involved.

I also let him know that I had called early in the morn. & no one returned my call - I had to call back. He wasn't very happy about that. Said I should call him anytime I felt I needed to & if he doesn't call back in a reasonable amt. of time to call again.

Moral of the story for me is I am going to trust my doc to know what he's talking about. He's done 5 out of the 6 surgeries on my elbows & everything turned out good for the others, so I'll keep the faith.

Sorry I rambled on again!

Take care.......Kathi

2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I sure hope it all works out well for you. That must feel awful.

Take care, and I will keep good thoughts for you, and am sending blessings..............

Shalom, Shirl
  3. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

But I feel if I can't trust the doc I go to, it's time to get a new one. He is a very reknowned doc in our area who has come with very glowing credentials. He's been my "arm doc" since 1994.

Thanks for your well wishes. Even though I'm trusting him on this doesn't mean I'm still not nervous.

Take care......Kathi
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I have no idea of your situation and surgery, so my problem may have very little to do with your situation.

But, I have numness and tingling down my arm and into my wrist and hand.

for me, the problem starts in my neck , c5, c6 according to physio and chiro. There is a disk problem and/or nerve root impingement.

So, maybe your problem is pressure on the nerve a little farther down.

I hope it gets better soon!
  5. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I do have problems with nerves. That was the reason for surgery. I had the ulnar nerve moved last May. Ever since I've had very bad pain on the incision. Doc said that some tiny nerve endings probably got sewn up in the incision so that was the reason for this surgers - to snip off those nerve endings.

Before they moved the ulnar nerve I had the numbness & tingling clear down into my little & ring fingers. Now it stops at my wrist. Guess we'll see if it goes away.

Take care.......Kathi