Numbness in feet Any help out there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

I don't post alot but read the board every day. I know that there is always someone out there who will respond to my post and that means alot to me.

I had gallbladder surgery on Oct. 31. It went well and afterward, my leg pain stopped and is still gone. Yippee right?

Well, a week later, my heel started hurting. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and went to the Dr. I have plantar faciatis in my left heel and have been going to the Dr. for it and got a cortizone shot (which hurt like the dickens). Did this, did that, had a shoe insert made that I have to wear forever and finally after 5 months I can walk with a little pressure on my heel.

Now, 2 weeks ago, my feet are tingling. Sometimes, they tingle up past my ankles. The back of my right heel is completely numb. So, I go to the Dr. yesterday and he would like to do a nerve conduction test. But first, we are going to try taking a multivitamin and B vitamins for a month and if that don't help, then he'll do the test.

He says it might be compression on the inside of my foot under my ankle. Only cure for that is surgery! I can't do surgery because I have RSD.

He also says it might be partly because of the fibro (yes, this doc believes in fibro). And he doesn't think the RSD has anything to do with it.

This DD is just so crazy and I am so so tired of it. Just when you get a hold on one thing, another thing comes along and knocks you back down.

Has anyone had the numbness in the feet? And what was your diagnosis? I guess I'm grasping for an easy fix. Like now, this very minute.LOL

Thanks to all who read this and respond.

hugs, bozey

[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  2. chickabee

chickabee New Member

Hi bozey, I have numbness in both my big toes, but they also have sharp pains in them once in awhile too. Other toes are fine.

Balls of my feet have burning sensations and pain. So far Dr. has said it is some type of neuropathy. It drives me crazy. Never goes away.

Hope you find an easy fix for your problem.. :) If you do....let me know..lol
  3. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

In my feet and in my hands. I dont know about your situation, but mine is the FM. The 1st time it happened I was still trying to work. I was walking down the hall of a huge HighSchool during class change with hundreds of kids milling around me when I suddenly realized I couldnt feel my left foot! That scared me like nothing else.

I still get numbness if I sit here too long. My hands also go numb like when I try to talk on the phone more than a few min. Dont know what to tell you about your heel

Suzette
  4. VJH

VJH New Member

Good morning, Bozey. I had numbness in one foot. Came to find out I had diabetes. Have you had a sugar test lately?

I have a girlfriend that had plantar faciatis (sp ??). She says her cure was to get rid of 180 pounds (in the form of her boyfriend). Miraculous cure! She chalks it all up to her emotional health.

Best of luck.

Val
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I had numbness in my left foot for about six months. Then it changed to over my whole body. I found out it was from artificial sweetners. I stopped all forms of artificial sweetners and within a few days numbing stops and doens;t return unless I accidently ingest some. They put it in everything, kids vitamins, wrigleys gum even the stuff that;'s not sugar free.
    Dar
  6. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I have numbness, tingling, pain in my feet and hands, a lot of times up past my ankles and wrists. I've had it for a loooong time.

My doc (who also believes in FM and all these insane things that go along with it -- I love him!) was in the middle of performing a nerve conduction test on me just this week. He noticed how badly my feet perspired and started asking me questions about that.

My hands and feet have perspired profusely all my life. They also swell quite a bit and hurt, as you say, like the dickens. I've been mentioning this to doctors for almost all of my 50-something years. This doctor picked right up on it and told me next visit he'd start investigating that some more. He thinks it's RSD.

In all the years I've complained and showed the other doctors the profuse sweating and grotesque swelling I've been blown off completely. Yeah! I like this new doctor. I like him a lot!

There's not a whole lot to be done for RSD, but not being treated like a lunatic is a BIG boost to your self esteem and your sense of well-being. Having your doctor say, "yes, you ARE ill" makes you feel like you can go on and fight these DDs. You know what I mean? Nothing's going to take them away, but that little bit of compassion and understanding goes a long, long way.

Mar
  7. Beth009

Beth009 New Member

Hi Bozey,

I have numbness and tingling with hands and feet. I do not have diabetes, an abdominal mass, or neuropathy. I have been checked for all.

I see the neuro on Monday ...and the suspicion is arthritic spine, (which could be placing pressure on the nerves).

Hope you continue to have as many tests as possible that will lead you to a diagnosis.

I too, have plantar fascitis, but apparaently mine are in a position where no nerve is effected.

My best,

Beth