numbness in fingers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nancyg, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Nancyg

Nancyg New Member

Does anyone experience any numbness in thier fingers? I have Fibro and am used to waking up in the morning with tingling hands but recently my pinkie and ring finger have been staying numb for days. It really is driving me crazy.
    thank you for your support.
  2. reva727

reva727 New Member

I wake up during the middle of the night with my hands and fingers numb. It drives me crazy too. I's mosty my thumb and index finger though. I have heard that carpel tunnel syndrom causes this but I don't think that's my problem. I think it comes from my neck, a bulging disk pressing on a nerve. My problem usually disappears when I get up.
  3. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Today is 1 week since I had my surgery. I will get my stitches out on Thur. Back in December I had an EMG and Nerve conduction test which showed an ulna nerve lesion at my left elbow. I was never told of the lesion. I was told all was OK. Well, I had the same as you, numbness of pinky and ring finger. My pinky finger is dead, it looks different than my other fingers. I drop things out of my left hand. The surgeon said that things will not improve but he assured me they would not get worst. Your fingers can become club fingers. They will curl inward toward palm while other fingers are extended.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have had the surgery back then. What could have been a 2" incision is now an 8 - 10" incision. The nerve was in such bad shape, because of the delay in surgery. According to my orthopeadic surgeon, these nerves do not heal, they only get worst. So, you may want to talk to your doctor about getting scheduled for an EMG and Nerve conduction test.

I do hope I did not frighten you. This is not my intentions. I just don't want anyone else to go through what I am going through. Hopefully, your numbness and tingling is just the FM. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2003]
  4. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I ended up seeing a neurologist and he went through the simple tests and said it did not look like carpal tunnel.(why would I get CT now when I have not worked fulltime since 1993?LOL)I ended up getting the carpal tunnel test(OWIE),when he rammed the needle thing in my hand and start digging around and tapping on my nerve AGH!He still said it did not appear to be ct,my one hand showed nothing wrong and my one showed "maybe" the start of ct.Both of my hands fall asleep the same way.He did say he didn't think it was ct,but he would give me some wrist splints anyway (for the hell of it).The splints make my wrist hurt so bad I cannot wear them.It doesn't matter whether it is at night or during the day,they still fall asleep off and on.No Dr. knows what the problem is so like usual the problem is ignored.Just like the numbness on top and in between my one toe on my left foot.My one Dr. said...if it doesn't hurt don't worry about it.
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

there's an alternative to surgery that may help. It's something called Vitamin B-6 dependency, meaning you need more than most people. I've never been tested for CTS, but I very well might have it. The B-6 really helps me. I'll bump up the article.
  6. RoseSky

RoseSky New Member

I get tingling on my pinky and ring finger (which are both controlled by the same nerve) a lot. It isn't always in the same hand, though. It will be in a right hand for a few days and then it will switch to my left hand for the next couple of days. I think the most common cause is a pinched nerve somewhere in your neck area. Have you ever tried going to a chiropractor? I've had pretty good luck with them as long as I don't go for an extended period of time. It seems to me that after going 2-3 times a week for a couple of weeks, they start to do more harm than good. But getting adjusted for a short period of time has always helped me in the past.

Good Luck
    Adrienne