Numbness in hands

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katvwolf, Jan 12, 2007.

1. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new here!

I've had fibro since 1995, but my new doc finally diagnosed me in September. My mom also has it.

The last two years have been the most difficult for me. They say FM isn't progressive, but I've certainly been feeling like it is! On top of my regular pain, I've discovered my hands going numb! It is really strange-some mornings my hands are numb when I wake up! I have also found them going numb occassionally during the day...

Is this part of fibro??? Anyone else experiencing this?
  2. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I think it is because I was having numbness in both of my hands right before I was diagnosed with fibro & I still get it when I’m under extreme stress!

I was scared the first time it happened, I thought I was having a stroke or something!

I hope you feel better!

[This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  3. mamagibby

mamagibby New Member

Hi Katvwolf,
    Not only do my hands go numb but I drop things too. I've had fibro for years, had surgery on both my hands, and they still go numb. Morning, noon, and night, it happens alot which can be a real drag because I'm a decorative painter.
    I just recently had to give up my job of teaching "One Stroke Painting".
    Sometimes this DD hurts in more than physical ways.
    I wanted you to know that your not alone-or loosing your mind!LOL
    Tender hugs, Mamagibby
  4. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

It happened while I was in the Doctors office and he noticed color changes checked pulses in both and felt my arm and hands THEN TOLD ME i HAD RAYNAUDS I don't know much about it but many have paosted on this here before or go to Raynauds and look up on the computer.

My hands get numb and cold so have to wear gloves alot and try to keep them warm. It is important to keep them warm if they also get cold because Blood is getting less circulation in them. And they said it can cause damage to your veins. if it keeps up you may want to see a doctor about and get information on it.

They say raynauds is common in people with this DD.

hope you find what you are looking for.
    Brenda
  5. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I have had numbness, pins and needles, and weakness in my arms. It all eventually turned out to be coming from damaged discs in my neck(it took 25 years before someone decided to do an MRI of my neck).

Don't assume that all symptoms are FM/CFS.
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

sounds like that's it : Reynauds. Have FM and this. Supposidl okay to have it but quite bothersom.
    Hugs
    Kim
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

So many possibilities....

I had unusual numbness and tingling going from my hands, up my arms and then to my face.

Turned out to be blood sugar issues and I was dx as borderline diabetic.

You should really have this checked out with your doc. Never ignore new symptoms or let a doc lump them all in with Fibro.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  8. jakeg

jakeg New Member

This happens to me all the time but not just my hands it also encompasses my arms. I was really concerned about this at first and mentioned it to my rheumy.

She setup an MRI for me and found that I have degenerative disk disease and osteoarthritis in C5/6. What this means is the nerves going into my arms are being pinched off causing the numbness to occur.

Sometimes it lasts for hours and sometimes just minutes.

You really do need to find out what is causing it for your health and piece of mind. It could be something that is serious and needs to be taken care of.

As others have said don't let your doctor lump it in with the FM until he and you are sure that it's not something else.

Take Care

JakeG
  9. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

Thank you so much, everyone, for your feedback!!!

My mom has Reynauds...is this hereditary? I was told that FM is hereditary, so it is no surprise that I have it. My hubby freaks out sometimes (jokingly), because my fingernails turn purple and blue at times (I'm not cold at the time). Is this also a symptom?

I do occassionally get numbness and tingling in my legs, but I was told that I have SI Joint Dysfunction and my sciatic nerve is being compressed. I tried to go to physical therapy for this and to a chiropractor, but it made the sciatic pain and all my trigger point pain worse. Right now I'm considering trigger point therapy. If you touch my back, I have so many knots, they feel like little lumps of concrete everywhere. Unfortunately, most of them are active right now from the car accident I was in on New Year's Eve.

I really should go see my doc, I guess. I'm just so tired of all this crap. If I do have Reynauds, is there anything he is going to do about it? I don't want anymore meds. I hate meds! The numbness in my hands isn't painful, just annoying and a little frightening.

Kat
  10. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

Thank you so much, everyone, for your feedback!!!

My mom has Reynauds...is this hereditary? I was told that FM is hereditary, so it is no surprise that I have it. My hubby freaks out sometimes (jokingly), because my fingernails turn purple and blue at times (I'm not cold at the time). Is this also a symptom?

I do occassionally get numbness and tingling in my legs, but I was told that I have SI Joint Dysfunction and my sciatic nerve is being compressed. I tried to go to physical therapy for this and to a chiropractor, but it made the sciatic pain and all my trigger point pain worse. Right now I'm considering trigger point therapy. If you touch my back, I have so many knots, they feel like little lumps of concrete everywhere. Unfortunately, most of them are active right now from the car accident I was in on New Year's Eve.

I really should go see my doc, I guess. I'm just so tired of all this crap. If I do have Reynauds, is there anything he is going to do about it? I don't want anymore meds. I hate meds! The numbness in my hands isn't painful, just annoying and a little frightening.

Kat