Numbness/tingling in left side of face, suddenly

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tgirl, Nov 17, 2002.

1. tgirl

tgirl New Member

Hi again everyone,

I posted a few days ago about a sudden bout of enormous anxiety I had, which is thankfully gone. I've had CFS for 13 years, but lately my life has become very stressful due to my husband divorcing me.

For the past few days teeth in the left side of my mouth have felt funny, not quite pain but more a feeling of pressure. Then this morning the left side of my lips and cheek have gone all numb/tingly, it's a weird feeling. Like the one you get when you first get a pain killing injection at the dentist. So I rang the dentist who saw me straight away.

He said there's no sign of an infected tooth, I'm going back to see him shortly with x-rays. Could this feeling I'm having be caused by CFS and the extra stress I'm under?

Thanks,

Tgirl

2. tgirl

tgirl New Member

Hi again everyone,

I posted a few days ago about a sudden bout of enormous anxiety I had, which is thankfully gone. I've had CFS for 13 years, but lately my life has become very stressful due to my husband divorcing me.

For the past few days teeth in the left side of my mouth have felt funny, not quite pain but more a feeling of pressure. Then this morning the left side of my lips and cheek have gone all numb/tingly, it's a weird feeling. Like the one you get when you first get a pain killing injection at the dentist. So I rang the dentist who saw me straight away.

He said there's no sign of an infected tooth, I'm going back to see him shortly with x-rays. Could this feeling I'm having be caused by CFS and the extra stress I'm under?

Thanks,

Tgirl

3. mistyb

mistyb New Member

This whole mess started with that. I had numbness and tingling in my left cheek, nostril, eye socket etc. Was frightened out of my mind. Anyway, it turns out that my left shoulder area and neck are so tight that it squeezes of circulation etc to those areas. Hope that helps. Good luck.

misty
  4. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Sorry to hear you are going thru divorce. I've been there done that too and it's no fun but hopefully will eventually work out and be for the best.

I've had similar tingling on one side of face at a high stress period when I had a stressful job. It was before I was dx with CFS/FMS and I thought it was a stroke because it was in arm and leg too but ER found nothing wrong. I still get the jaw pain that goes into gland/ear area and chalk it up to this DD. But it's always good to go to your doctor to get checked just to rule out other stuff.

You must find ways to relax...take care of yourself first!
    Warm wishes to feel better.
  5. dizzymindy67

dizzymindy67 Guest

hi i have that right along my left cheek bone once in a while.(not very often at all).sometimes it feels like it is in my whole left side of my face. it tingles for about 3-5 minutes and then goes away. its a strange feeling. thanks for listening
  6. tgirl

tgirl New Member

Hi,

The dentist couldn't find anything to cause the funny teeth and numbness, he said it would be worth talking to my doctor. So I phoned my normal doctor, who said it could be the beginning of shingles. If there's a rash I have to go see him. The dentist said to phone him every day to let him know how I'm going, in case it turns out to be something very unusual dentally (is that a word??).

It's so frightening, it's also brought on another anxiety attack and I'm not a happy camper. Stress is no fun at the best of times, but when you've got CFS as well...

Thanks for your replies,

Tgirl
  7. I'mjoyce

I'mjoyce New Member

I don't want to scare you but I would suggest you see a neurologist ASAP. My brother was diagnosed with MS several years ago. His symptoms were exactly as you've discribed yours. Take care.
  8. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

IO had the numbness on the left side of my face 2 months again. I also was very lightheaded and somewhat comfued. I immediately went to an urgent clinic. The doc there told me that it could either be the onset of a migraine which I have quite often. or get could be the start of Bell palsy.
    which I then immediately paniced. Well anyway they gave be a steriod shot and the numbness went away in about 6 hours.it has not yet returned.I do have alot of numbness and tingling in my hands,fingers,feet& toes.that does goes along with this DD.

HUGS
    Shelle
  9. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Bels Palsy and Lyme disease. Go to the doctor and get checked out. It is something that you shouldn't mess around with. It might turn out to be nothing, stress or what ever, but find out.
    Best of luck,
    Lanie
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Because of the severity of it, definitely get it checked out thoroughly. I get slight lip tingling (but always have) as an FM symptom, but it is fleeting and seems to be one of the transient neuro. symptoms I've had with this dd. So you should definitely exhaust possibilities, since yours is more pronounced.

That said, I have a dear friend, always very healthy, who was going through a "sudden" divorce (husband & his secret girlfriend dropped the delightful bombshell on her). Her whole face became paralyzed within a few days, and lasted for about 2 months, during which time she was misdiagnosed with MS. Once she resigned herself to the inevitable divorce & change in her life, and realized she was better off without the schmuck, the paralysis went away completely, and she's been healthy ever since.

Stress can do some very weird things to our bodies! Hope you find out the reason for your tingling & can alleviate it. Good luck...

Hugs,
    Pam

11. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Sometimes I get numbness on either side of my face. The bouts last several minutes, up to an hour and usually follow stress. My doctor said it could be caused by a virus.
    Best Wishes.
  12. 2girls

2girls New Member

Hi Tgirl!

I have experienced occasional facial numbness now for 1 1/2 years. At one point the left side (eye and mouth) were temporarily paralized. The ER chalked it up to bells palsy at the time but it seems to be a common symptom of FMS which was only diagnosed recently. I now also get this tingling, almost numbing sensation in my mouth - roof, inside cheeks, tongue, lips. I have been tested for MS (negative). It appears to be a mystery to doctors & my dentist.

2girls
  13. pjones95

pjones95 New Member

Tgirl

About 6 years ago I also had bad numbness and tingling in left side of my face along with the nerves in my teeth. I also had problems with my left Eye lid jettering and driving me nuts.I now get it everyonce in awhile but not very bad. At the time it was bad I was having problems with my eyes changing focus in and out.My neck was put into traction and I thought that caused the problem but I think it just agravated it instead. Hang in there !

Pjones
  14. sybil

sybil New Member

my partner had it this year,at first we thought he had a mini stroke!!he had to tape his left eyelid down at night,it wouldn't close.he also had problems eating because he had no control over his mouth.
    the doctor told him people who had contracted the herpes virus via chickenpox or shingles were prone to Bells.my partner had a very serious bout of chickenpox in 2000,he was ill for 4 weeks.
    stress can be a factor too,i know in my partners case stress was part of the cause.he has a very demanding government job with lots of responsibility,works long hours and has to attend lots of meetings with high profile companies,he works at home a lot at weekends too.

go to your doctor and get him to check you out,a visit to the optician is a good idea too,if it is Bells,it can affect your vision,

sybilxxx