Numbness w/ Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by piktaker, Nov 28, 2010.

1. piktaker

piktaker New Member

OK, I have been dealing with this for years. Time to find out if others suffer the same thing. This is first time for me to register w/ any site and do the messagae boards. So yes I am a newbie.

I was diagnosed w/ fms early 90's. Fought the the diagnoses for years too..

I get facial numbness on the left side of my face which sometimes goes into the left arm. When I don't have pain/discomfort I get the numbness which mentally bothers me more. Have had the panic attacks when it gets severe like it did acouple of days ago. My patient hubby took me to er so I know it was not a stoke or anything of that sort after CAT, blood work and ekg. When I ask docs in the past about it I felt fluffed off. My new Doc seams willing to work w/ me on this. I have had brain and neck mri's this past simmer to rule out MS and did find a couple mimor things w/ neck that would not cause the numbness.

So feeling frustrated more that normal today I turned to the internet and a forum on this and found you!

Any info/experiences shared would be helpfull
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I also have the numbness you describe with my fibro -- not all the time but occasionally.

Is your numbness all the way through, like when your foot goes to sleep, or is it just the surface that's numb? What I mean by that is whether you can't feel it at all, or whether if someone touches that arm you can't actually feel the touch but you can still feel the weight of their hand. It's like just the skin is numb.

I more often have the latter, but when I'm in an especially bad flare I can have the completely-asleep kind. I've never had it on my face, but have had it in other places.

What I've figured out is that, for me, the numbness tends to happen when my muscles are very tight. It seems like somehow the tightness of the muscles is inhibiting the nerves from sending messages, or maybe inhibiting the blood-flow. Could this be the case for you also?

If so, I've found that a prescription muscle relaxer is useful to help loosen up the muscle knots and return things to a semi-normal state. If your doctor hasn't prescribed one for you, you might instead try a warm rice bag or heating pad, or a long soak in a hot bath. Those sometimes help me, and they might help you if the muscle tightness is the source of your numbness.

Sorry to hear of another person suffering from fibro, but you've found a good message board with lots of people willing to share and try to help.

Best wishes,

3. Spacey

Spacey Member

Yes,I get this all the time. It goes from milder to the falling asleep feeling. I also get a lot of pain in my teeth and eyes. worse on the left side.I have dizzyness all the time and think it is connected to this. It is a pain, Iv'e had it for quite a few years and it never goes away for me. If you find anything that helps let us know I take carbamazapine for the nerve pain and burning sensations but it doesn't help that much. It does help with resless legs though. Thanks Spacey
  4. piktaker

piktaker New Member

Thanks for the reply Janelle!
    Glad to know I am not alone with this. Docs have told me that numbness not really part of FMS. Mine is more just the surface type along my jaw line and left shoulder into arm. Sometimes it tingles.

I use to get massages every couple of months but got away from it cause it gets pricey. Will have to bite the bullet and get back in the habit. Also my chirpractor helps abit to relieve it, but always a temperary fix. I know what you are saying about keeping muscles relaxed.

I have never had it as bad as this last bout, been trying to figure out what would have trigered it. Visit w/ chiropractor tonight after work has helped.

I was forced into menopause from having an emergency hysterectomy a few months ago. Am wondering if this could be aggervating the fibro too? I am getting into the hot flash stage. Another thing to deal with. Oh bother..LOL

Thanks again,
    Brenda aka piktaker
  5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Yes, those are also aggravating for fibro pain.

I went through 6 months of hot flashes, and the pain was definitely worse during that time. My rheumatologist confirmed that this was the case for most of his patients -- not due to the hot flash per se, but due to the hormonal fluctuations that cause it.

I wish I could advise you on what would help with that, but I didn't actually find anything that did!

Good luck and best wishes,

Edited to add: You mention that your doctors say "numbness isn't part of fibro." What you'll find out is that there are a lot of things that definitely *are* part of fibro (in the experience of those of us who have it) that the doctors don't seem to know a thing about. Not that they'll admit that! [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2010]
  6. wyndi

wyndi New Member

I get the numbness as well, but in my legs. My FMS seems to primarily have settled in the lower half of my body, though my back has extreme issues periodically.

The tops of my thighs can become so numb, I can slap myself there and feel little if anything.

I suppose since they have now done research on the neurological aspect of the disease, this should not be surprising?? Much research left to do though!
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Numbness is common in a lot of people w/Fibro.

I haven't had it in my face, but I get it in my hands, down sections of my legs, across my back etc.

My fingers tingle like they're asleep which is very bothersome, but the other parts are numb. It's weird to have a place in your back that is numb.
  8. piktaker

piktaker New Member

I get to go my gbyn in couple of weeks going to talk to her about a natural HRT that I found, do not want to take the synthetic estrogen. I quit that in Sept took a couple of months for the flashes to start.
    My new MD is sending me back to nurologist for a nerve test. I went in with complaint of possible bad circulation in right leg. At least my new doc will listen to me only have been with him since May.
    I did get mild muscle relaxer to take at night, getting better sleep the past few nights which has helped w/ facila numbness.
    Have a great holiday!
  9. piktaker

piktaker New Member

My MD is sending me back to a neurologist to get a test done for the nerves and spinal tap for fluid test. This is from paying md a visit last week with what I thought was possibly poor circulation in rt leg. He says what I am discribing is nerve related. We'll see what the next chapter bring with this.
    Happy holidays