Numbness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dianne1, Jul 23, 2006.

1. dianne1

dianne1 New Member

Does anyone experience numbness on one or both sides of their body at any given time? Pins & needle sensations?
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

And when its in both my legs I can not walk at all.

Its like when you sit on your foot and it falls asleep.It is awfull.

I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks and am going to bring this up.

Sue
  3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Yes, I have this all the time. It started about 4 months ago - it was mostly on the left side - face, arm and leg. I now have patches of it on both sides - face, arms, legs.

It alternates with patches of burning, and sensations of coldness (like I've just taken my arm out of the freezer).

Mine gets worse as the day progresses - the numbness turns into pain - if that makes sense.

It is apparently part of the fibro.

Take care
    Michelle
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have been getting periods of numbness and pins and needles for years. In thighs, arms and fingers and feet. I thought it was all due to fibro, because it often is.

However, my doc. convinced me to have a complete set of bone exrays. This showed that my spine is not right and that I have a problem with one hip, which could have been causing some of my sensations. I now have to consider going to a chiropractor.

I do not know if this will help or not, but the guess the main message is that just because we have fibro and/or CFS that does not mean that we cannot have other things wrong with us. So I suppose that the only real way to find out is to have more tests - if you can bear them..........
  5. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

My arms fall asleep alot. Both of them. I do nto have carpal tunnel
  6. tomcollins

tomcollins New Member

I have the same complaints, tingling, numbness, burning, and pins and needles. They occur on both sides of my body, in my limbs as well as on my face. I am very lucky to have found a neurologist who is willing to exhaust every option before saying that it is just fibro.

This has been one of my big complaints for the past two visits. After the first visit we did blood tests, a sleep study, nerve conduction test, and an EMG. When I went back, about 2 weeks ago, the test were all normal but I had increased loss of feeling in my feet and hands. I was also had no reflexes...as I had very slight ones at the first visit. Something IS going on.

She had hinted at a type of neuropathy during the first visit....but now she thinks that I may have a rare form called Chronic Inflamitory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy.

We took more blood this time, and in the next few weeks I am going to have a spinal tap. I asked what would happen if the spinal tap came back normal, she was insistant on getting a muscle biopsy, if that were the case.

I don't want to alarm anyone, sometimes these symptoms are due to swelling that is pinching a nerve (espcially when in an iscolated area) or just a case of neuropathy. New symptoms or persistant symptoms, espically when they are neurological should be checked by a doctor. If you feel that you are getting the run-around the search for a doctor that is willing to work for you.

I wish everyone the best.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  7. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I KNOW YOU PAIN AND I REALLY FEEL FOR YOU
    I HAVE A LOT OF NUMBESS IN MY FEET, ARMS AND BACK
    I TAKE LYCRIA FOR IT 150MG THREE TIMES A DAY
    I CAN ALWAYS TELL WHEN I NEED TO TAKE IT
    I DO HAVE CARPAL TUNNEL AND HAVE 2 SURGERIES ON EACH ARM AND I THINK IT IS TIME FOR NUMBER FIVE
    YESTERDAY I WAS WATCHING A MOVIE WITH MY SON AND FELL ASLEEP SITTING UP IN MY LOUNGE CHAIR AND BOTH ARMS WENT NUMB AND WOKE ME UP. AND IT HAPPENS ALOT AT NIGHT
    ASK YOU DOCTOR ABOUT PUTTING YOU ON NUROTIN OR LYCIA
    IT SEEMS TO HELP

GOOD LUCK
    BARB