Numbness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hidn, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi everyone,
    I dont post very often but I read the messages and you guys are so great! Thank you
    Awhile back I asked if anyone had numbness in their hands. I have it in my left hand, little finger and ringfinger.
    Well today I found out it is called Peripheral Neuropothy. It may be caused by this DD, the doc does not know for sure. I read that 1/3 people get it from diabetes (I dont have that) 1/3 get it from inherited genes, and 1/3 from causes unknown.
    I am sorry this is so long, but for some reason I am awake, and sort of able to think :)
    Hugs to you
    Denise
  2. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi everyone,
    I dont post very often but I read the messages and you guys are so great! Thank you
    Awhile back I asked if anyone had numbness in their hands. I have it in my left hand, little finger and ringfinger.
    Well today I found out it is called Peripheral Neuropothy. It may be caused by this DD, the doc does not know for sure. I read that 1/3 people get it from diabetes (I dont have that) 1/3 get it from inherited genes, and 1/3 from causes unknown.
    I am sorry this is so long, but for some reason I am awake, and sort of able to think :)
    Hugs to you
    Denise
  3. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I can't sleep either tonight. I've been awake since 1am and it's almost 4. I don't have trouble getting to sleep but I always wake up anywhere from 3 to 5am. Hopefully I'll get back to sleep soon and I hope you do too.
    I'm glad you found out what was causing your numbness. How is that treated? I went to a neurologist last week and he thought I might have that. I'm not going back to see him though because he doesn't believe in CFS/FM. He was such a jerk and made me feel terrible so I can't see putting myself through that again. Sounds like you have a good Dr. though.
    Thanks for letting us know what was causing your numbness. Hope it gets better for you.

Sapphire
  4. Starla

Starla New Member

I have been seeing a Neurologist. He does very thorough testing. He has found that I have this too. My fingers and toes have little feeling in them. When the weather is cold they have absolutely NO feeling, turn white and my fingernails are a shade of lavender. I have had this longer than I have had FM/CFIDS. It is a weird feeling, but you just get use to it. Like, I type all the time and don't even feel the keyboard. I can type 60wpm. I guess it is like being blind or something. You adapt. My hands just freeze in the winter. Gloves for "normals" don't work for me. I use gloves like for snow skiing. Problem is they are too bulky to work in. They only get you from the house to the car, etc. Or if you are having to stand somewhere in cool conditions. I have also found hand warmers. Those neat things that you snap and they instantly heat up. They keep your hands nice and toasty.
    My Dr. said that it takes nerves a very long time to repair themselves. More or less, they are destroyed faster than they can rebuild. So, what I got out of it was that it will just always be this way. That was my version of understanding.
  5. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Saphire and Starla,
    I am so sory your neurologist is a jerk Saphire. Dump him!
    I saw my GP and he told me that they wont do anything for this unless I lose movemen along with the numbness. Thank goodness we dont have that too!
    I think I may just have to get some of those hand warmes Starla, living in E Washington it does get cold.
    I wake up around 3:30 to 4 am most morning too Sapphire , what is u with that? lol This DD is really something, I have lost feeling in my fingers, some days Icat walk and fall down go boom, my brain is on a permanent vacation!
    Boy I wish I just had a Bad Cold! LOL
    Thank you for replying , knowing I am not alone with all this really helps.
    Hugs
    Denise
  6. sheri

sheri New Member

Hi Hidn;
    Have you been checked for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome? It usually affects the fingers you described. There are excercises you can do to relieve it. Such as head rotation, arm circles; However, I see you have been to your Dr. and diagnosed. Since I have trouble periodically w/this, (I was diagnosed w/the Thoracic Syndrome, thought of it when I read your post. )Get Beter Soon, LOL