Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amomwithsickkids, Aug 24, 2010.

1. amomwithsickkids

amomwithsickkids New Member

Has anyone used numenda? If so has it helped with your memory, processing speed or anything else? Thanks!
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

This is a drug developed for Alzheimer's Disease. It is an NMDA receptor antagonist.

There has been some off-label rxing for fibro pain.

For myself ... before trying such a new drug with off-label rx ... I would look into glutamate/GABA balancing through diet.

The NMDA receptors in your brain feed on glutamate. If your brain is getting overloaded with dietary glutamate (many sources beyond MSG) your NMDA receptors may become imbalanced relative to GABA, and wreak havoc.
  3. amomwithsickkids

I am still trying to translate your answer into English :) I am usually pretty good at absorbing/understanding info, but tonight....not so much!

I just recently found out that this med is actually used for Alzheimer's. But there are neurologists/psychiatrists who are using it off-label for cognitive/memory issues with apparent success. Didn't know it was being used for pain as well.

Have heard the terms GABA and glutamate but not sure exactly what they are. Never even heard of NMDA.

Are there any particular foods to avoid? Thanks so much.

4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

One source you could look into is the Russell Blaylock's book, Excitotoxins. also has some good info.
  5. amomwithsickkids

Thank you again for your reply. Looked at the link you provided as well as googling Blaylock and excitotoxins.

Wouldn't have connected MSG/GABA/glutamate. And wow how scary it is to see how so many foods and fast food places are just plain unhealthy even with their "healthy" foods. I learn something new every day.

Needless to say this is food (no pun intended) for thought. Here I am thinking numenda is relatively harmless and potentially very helpful. Just goes to show you that you have to investigate every medication and every supplement.

Thank you again.
  6. amomwithsickkids

I recently found out that this drug is used in Alzheimer's. It is being used off label by neurologists and psychiatrists for cognitive problems. We have been down the ritalin/adderal road and didn't have good results but that was awhile back. Numenda was recently suggested as a possibility and apparently is covered by our insurance which is a miracle. I would prefer obviously if nothing was needed. The jury is still out and we will have to followup with the docs.

You know a lot about these types of meds. I will look into SNRIs and NRIs and dopamine. I personally found lexapro very helpful but gained a lot of weight on it. I'm talking weighing about 20 pounds more than when I was pregnant. Now I take wellbutrin. It isn't as good as the lexapro but it helps.