Nurse practitioner ARNP?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Dec 13, 2006.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

My last doctor visit, I didnt see the doctor, I saw the ARNP. Can anyone explain this to me. I have no idea what a practitioner is.
    I dont like the idea of paying for a doctor, and not getting to see the doctor. Have any of you had this happen to you?
    God bless all, Julie

(Edited)
    Just wondering, does anyone know why the doctor would send one in to see you, instead of seeing you themselves? My first thought was that my doctor was trying to get rid of me or something.
    I was in the waiting room one time, and some guy came out steaming and raising cain about the fact that he didnt get to see the doctor, but still had to pay full price. He asked for his money back, and they said no, so he called on his cell phone and cancelled his check that he just paid with. I would never do that, but it tells me that there are others that are not happy about paying full price and not seeing the doctor. I dont care, as long as I get my questions answered, and my scripts. I do like my doctor, shes the only reason I kept driving over 70 miles to see a doctor after I quit taking my grandmother to see her doctor, in the same town. I could find a doctor here in OKC, and save the drive, but I liked the doctor I had, so I kept going.
    I will probably have to think about this, and see if I still want to keep going down there. My Mother does live in the same town as this doctor, and like the idea of getting to visit with her, and seeing the doctor at the same time.
    Something just seems odd to me, oh well.
    Thanks for any advise on the ARNP, Julie[This Message was Edited on 12/14/2006]
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I agree I don't like the idea either and many time when I have made an appointment with my doctor I go in to be told I will be seeing the nurse practitioner instead.

For the most part I haven't seen a huge difference and she has always been willing to prescribe my meds but doesn't prescribe the same amount my doc does. I think they are monitored very closely and have to follow the book.

Here is some info:

I. Advanced registered nursing practice by nurse practitioners shall consist of a combination of knowledge and skills acquired in basic nursing education. The ARNP scope of practice, with or without compensation or personal profit, shall be limited to:

(a) Performing acts of advanced assessment, diagnosing, prescribing, selecting, administering, and providing therapeutic measures and treatment regimes;

(b) Obtaining consultation, planning, and implementing collaborative management, referral, or transferring the care of the client as appropriate; and

(c) Providing such functions common to a nurse practitioner for which the ARNP is educationally and experientially prepared and which are consistent with standards established by a national credentialing or certification body recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing and approved by the board in the appropriate ARNP role and specialty.

II. An ARNP shall practice within standards consistent with standards established by a national credentialing or certification body recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing and approved by the board in the appropriate ARNP role and specialty. The board shall not approve a new advanced practice specialty category that has not been developed by a national credentialing or certifying body recognized by the National Council of State Board of Nursing without approval of the legislature under RSA 332-G:6. Each ARNP shall be accountable to clients and the board:

(a) For complying with this chapter and the quality of advanced nursing care rendered;

(b) For recognizing limits of knowledge and experience and planning for the management of situations beyond the ARNPs expertise; and

(c) For consulting with or referring clients to other health care providers as appropriate.

III. An ARNP shall have plenary authority to possess, compound, prescribe, administer, and dispense and distribute to clients controlled and non-controlled drugs in accordance with the formulary established by the joint health council and within the scope of the ARNPs practice as defined by this chapter. Such authority may be denied, suspended, or revoked by the board after notice and the opportunity for hearing, upon proof that the authority has been abused.

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I also have a problem paying Doctor prices when you see a Nurse Practitioner, BUT, I have seen several, and overall, I have NEVER been unhappy with them. Wish I could say the same for all the doctors I've seen.

I think, collectively, they BELIEVE the symptoms and severity you state you/your child are experiencing, more so than Doctors tend to. Why? I'm not sure. Perhaps Nursing Students are taught from a different angle? Believe the patient? Not the test result? Maybe I've just been lucky in the ones I've seen.

I also tend to like PAs (Physician Assistants), same reasons. Go figure.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

hagardreams:

I sometimes see an ARNP and find that they are sometimes easier to talk other than the doctor.

What I do like is having an intern. They seem the most eager to help and give good advice. At least that has been my experience.

But, truthfully: I would rather see the doctor.

nyrofan

5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

nyrofan:
    I have to commend you on being a strong person. I have been trough a lot in my life also, but dont feel as I have done such a great job of managing myself like you have. May God bless you in a special way. While I know we all have our problems here with all these illnesses, but again I commend you for staying strong, and fighting each and every day.

Thanks to all for the info, I really think I need to look into finding a doctor closer to home. I just feel so cheated paying full price to see a doctor, and seeing a ARNP.
    I should have known something was up when I was asked to pay in advance of seeing the doctor. I have always paid after seeing her, and something seemed fishy about that. I would have paid anyway, but I think its awful sneaky to do that to me, they could have at least said something in advance of the appt about the change. It's like going in to buy a cadillac, and paying for one, and driving out with a chevy. It just doesnt seem right to me. Again, I am not really mad, I just feel like I was stabbed in the back.
    God bless all, Julie
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

donnaeil:
    I can see your point. There are a lot of nurses that do much more than doctors in most cases, and dont really get recognition like they should. In the hospital, the nurse is the one who spends most of the time with the patient, not the doctor.
    With me, its just the idea of not having the choice, and paying for someone who really didnt want to hear what I was saying. This ARNP was in somekind of hurry, and didnt even hear the fact that I had been sick and wanted to know what to do about it. She was in the room all of maybe 4 min. The doctor is always in there with me at least 10 mins or more. Maybe I just got a bad one.
    Thanks again to all for the info on the ARNP thing.
    Julie