Nurses, Anyone? Question re: Chicken Pox (OT)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

My 18 year old son was diagnosed with chicken pox today. He had them lightly as a baby and the doctor said he might get them again later. He was right.

Our GP told him that he isn't contagious since he is older. That he probably contracted them through a younger child. I find it hard to fathom that his blisters, that are popping up still and have fluid in them, aren't contagious.

I am not a nurse but I would appreciate any info you might have! Kevin did go to the doctor on his own, so I do wonder if the info is being repeated back correctly.

He was given Rx for a herpes medication, which makes sense.

Thank you very much!

Kim
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

from what i read in one of my college books from school chicken pox is q highly contagious viral infection that is spread by airborne droplets of moisture containing the vaaricella-zoster virus. it says the person is most contagious just after the symptoms start but remains contagious until the last blisters have crusted. however of you have had chickepox it is unlikley you will contact it again. but sometimes later in life if the immune system is run down it can reactivate as the shingles. i hope that helps. bill
  3. albrn

albrn New Member

I don't know why any doctor would tell you that he isn't contagious. He is until all blisters are crusted over. I am an R.N., was Director of Nursing until I had to resign due to my FM, and two bad knees. Also, the older you are when you get chicken pox the worse it is (usually). Be patient with him - he is going to hurt! Normally you only get a bad case of chicken pox once, but the same virus manifests as shingles, don't be afraid to be around him, but make sure to wash you hands and keep his sheets clean. If you get shingles, you'll know it! Good luck, I wish him a fast recovery. My youngest brother was 19 when he came down with chicken pox, and he had pox from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. I wish I had better news for you. ~ Lynn
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you! Your thoughts are what I was thinking, I just don't have the medical degree and thought I was missing something!

My cousin, who is a nurse, said she didn't understand the doctor's reasoning either. She asked if it could be Shingles instead. Now I am so confused! I don't know if I should let him go back to school or not!

I appreciate you replying back!

Thank you again!

Kim
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

until all blisters are dried. Marie
  6. FM58

FM58 New Member

Kim,

Since Kevin went to the doc's on his own (which I do give hime a lot of credit for) perhaps, he misunderstood what the doctor said about being contagious. I have 3 boys- all had chicken pox when they were little - the oldest, first to get it- normal chicken pox. The younger two; extremely mild cases, I'm still dreading the day for either of them to walk in the door with it again.

I whole-hearted agree with the other posters, chicken pox is contagious until all pox are scabbed over! Typically it is at least 7-10 days from the first one.

My youngest son, also a Kevin~and I were both in the room with the doc handling his CFS. Kevin recently had surgery, I expressed my concern on how his fatigue would affect his recuperation. The doctor then said well this whole situation (the surgery itself & recuperation)may have an adverse affect on the fatigue.

Kevin misunderstood the entire jist of what the doc was trying to say & thought having surgery was going to "help" his fatigue! He got really annoyed at me for trying to explain things to him - ugh! (Still havinga tough time accepting all of this - I just can't be like Mom! He's no where near the level I am, but does need intervention).

Sorry to go so off topic from the chicken pox- but just wanted to point out, even though he's 18, perhaps he just misunderstood what the doctor said. Young people are not accustomed to going to the doctoer unaccompanied by a parent~ so usually Mom or Dad is there to pick up & rememer all the important information. Now that they are young adults, they have to be responsible not just for going to the doctor's, but also for remembering & carrying aout the instructions the doctor gives.

I sat down w/ my son & had him write a list of the questions he wanted to ask - so he had more power while he was there. I told him to take notes if he wanted to, so he would not forget. I suggested if he did not want to take notes in the doc's office, to write them down as soon as we walked outside, so it was fresh in his mind.

Kim, wishing Kevin a speedy recovery with those itchy chicken pox! Hope no one else in your house comes down w/ any related illness. Best of Luck to you- Stay Healthy!

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty
  7. 1horse

1horse New Member

CONTAGIOUS:usually the older he is the rougher it is. hope for a speedy recovery.good hand washing is needed

[ advertisement ]