nurses did not believe I was in pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clerty, May 1, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

when I had my stent put in my ureta for kidnaey stones
    the urologist said get used to it and the thought I was acting up the pain and agony for 3 days was unreal nothing took the pain away one nurse said If I was in so much pain why was I walking about this angred me anyway my rhuem doctor came to my rescue and explained to them that I had a flare up but I did warn the staff I make a bad patient
    before I went it have any of you had experiences in hospital like this.

Clertyx
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Clerty - I am sorry the nurses treated you this way. This reminds me of my first and last physical therapy appt.

My therapist came into the examining room and went over a brief history of my Fibro and stated I seem to be handling it all very well. How could she come to this conclusion when she had just met me 5 minutes before. I told her some days are better than others but today I was a little eager to learn what the therapy could do for me.

She proceeded to ask how would I rate my pain from the scale 0 being no pain to 10 being unbearable. Before I could answer she said she had another fibro patient that came in and rated her pain a level 10.

She said a 10 is being unrealistic and if someone was in that much pain they wouldn't be sitting there with her. Trust me it hit me in the face and I told her there was no way you could know how much pain someone is in and maybe to him/her they could be.

We stepped outside in the workout room and she evaluated my hands, arms, neck, back, hips, legs, and feet. She told me I needed to exercise everyday because fibro even though there is no cure is relieved with exercise and aerobics.

I never went back and refuse to spend my money on anyone that doesn't believe in this illness. This is why now I interview the doctor prior to my first visit. They work for us in my opinion.

I'm glad your doctor set them straight ;o)

Hugs,
    Carolin
  3. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I can't fake pain or hid it from nurses or doctors, when I am in pain my blood pressure shoots up like my normal BP is 117 0ver 60 and when I am in pain it is 130-140 over 90-100.
    so if I comlain of pain they know.

I s that just me or do others have this response to pain also I just assumed everyone was that way.

keep an eye on your BP when you are in pain maybe this could be a good tool for you also.

nurses and doctors could be so uncaring sometimes it never ceases to amaze me, They need classes on compassion just because they are ignorent doesn't give them a right to accuse you of lying.

Thank God your ruemy came to the rescue no telling what they would have done with you.

Hope you are feeling better.
    have a great day
    Brenda