Nurses: just like any (new response to MD stres

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by johnston, Nov 4, 2006.

1. johnston

johnston New Member

profession there are good and bad--terrible and excellent.

I have had to stop being an RN d/t this condition. I worked pain service in a hospital for awhile. NOt chronic pain, like we have; ;but I witnessed MD's who worked in the pain clinic who had so much of my admiration. They were so good and caring and patient.

I, too, have had a bad experience with a nurse who works with my rheumatologist (who is fantastic). THe md once told me that her husband says "They don't give medals for pain..."

I will tell you there is still a stigma attached to FM/CFS even in the medical community. Many still do not believe it exists. It was very, very hard for me to finally admit that I probably had it and seek help. I was so sick I had no choice.

Finally, nursing is a very, very stressful field. It is often overwhelming. Some handle stress better than others. It is a very good idea to let their doctors/employers know concise examples of how you are being tx'd and not only that you are consider leaving the practice because of this person but that you won't hesitate to warn anyone about the tx at that office (including your insurance co.).......Money talks.

ER's You are especially labeled in an ER. These medical people do not know you. They do see lots of drug seekers. I have witnessed "therapeutic waits"--where the staff doesn't believe you are a true emergency and decides to just let you sit for a long period of time---how humane is that? There are those who exercise the philosophy of "treat em and street em". In other words, they don't care about you--only about getting you out of thier way.
    Again, though there are good and bad...AND

We can hope and pray that all this will change through the years with education and our efforts........Rhonda
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2006]
  2. johnston

johnston New Member

3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

This is a great explanation, and I just wanted to agree with what you had to say. I hope people aren't too dissapointed with individuals who happen to be uncaring, to notice some of the really amazing, kind people who work in the medical community.

My sister recently had a long hospital stay, and developed many relationships with nurses who were kind to her. One nurse said that there are two kinds of nurses - one's who are just in it for the money and don't really care about the work/patients, and the ones who honestly CARE about people and really want to make a difference in people's lives. And i've seen that to be true myself. I think that the kindness of the good nurses has to overshadow the ignorance of the few, because it is such a difficult, and emotionally and physically stressful job. The nurses who do honestly care about people and work hard to improve their patients lives should be the ones we remember. If there are ones that happen to be unkind, or unsympathetic to our position, well then we just have to forgive them for their ignorance and hope that one day they realize how difficult life can be with FMS.
  4. johnston

johnston New Member

Thanks for the response and understanding. It would be a joy to know more about you if you fill out your profile. I just took my afternoon darvocet and soma so am feelig it. Will go to bed for now. Take good care of yourself! Hugs and smiles, Rhonda
    PS I used to collect all things "butterfly"
  5. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Hi johnston! I updated my profile with a little more info on me. I really admire all of the hard work that nurses go through, and I think that they can make a HUGE difference in a patients state of mind while they are in a hospital. I know my sister was really comforted by the kind nurses she met while she was in the hospital during the last month. There were many that went out of their way to help her, would offer care, or just come sit and talk with her, even when they weren't her assigned nurse. Having kind and generous people like that around really makes a difference in the healing process, i think.

[ advertisement ]