nutrition/better health

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Rock11, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Rock11

Rock11 Guest

Has any one gotten better health results, (feeling better) with a nutritional supplement?
  2. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

HI, I have fm & MPS, have been suffering for about 10 yrs., I caught a virus last winter, and it took such a toll on my muscles that, I was bedridden, because the pain, loss of muscle mass, and my muscles were so spasmed that I could not even eat without the help from my husband, massaging my neck muscles so I could swallow!
    Well I think you get the picture!
    To make a long story short, Dr.'s, were more of a pain in the butt, than help, So my husband and I did some research, and I got on a vitamin regime that is helping me recover, I feel I would not be sitting in front of a computer, typing or even been able to walk to the computer without my vitamins!
    okay that being said, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, could you make it clearer, I mean what kind of suppliment?
    Denise
  3. life$ce

life$ce New Member

Hi,
    Christin here. There are so many types of suppliments out on the market that it is hard to tell which one we may need. I have had so so results with some for my fibro and I have had great results with just one company. It just depends on what you as an individual need and want from your suppliments. Just beware when someone tries to sell you a cure. In nutrition no one should make claims like that!!! I got tired of pills so I chose liquid. It works well for me and many others. Who knows it might even help you. Just make sure you do some research on what you are taking. I hope this helps.

Your sister for a pain free world,
    christin
  4. Carina

Carina New Member

Hello sister in need,
    This is an area that a lot of people abuse simply because they do not know any better. Supplements taken without blood tests to determinewhat your body needs can cause serious harm to you. I work with my doctor & every 2 mos. we do a complete workup on my blood to give us that crucial guidance.
    I have found that my magnesium levels are in need of supplementation. This needs to be watched closely. I take a multivitiamin with one 400 mg. of magnesium. If I need to take a Doans backache pill, I skip the added mag. that day as its loaded with mag. No overdose wanted here! I eat a banana a day to keep my potassium up to par. I take 1,000 mg of fish oil, up to 800iu of Vit. E, 100 mg of Co-Q-10, (if I can't afford it that month I take 100 mcg Selinium instead) and I learned that I do much better if I take simethicone (generic Gas-Ex) 1 in the afternoon & 1 at bedtime. Also 500 mg of Vit C 2-3 times a day.
    I hope this gives you an idea of what you wanted to know. Everyone's needs are different. Let the blood tests be your guide. Find out what he normal and Max. levels are of each item in the blood & find the EXACT # yours report as. This way you will know exactly where you stand & when to back off of something for a few days. Also be able to pin point the right amount to feel comfort, especially with magnesnium. It will also help indicate how much of a Leaky Gut problem you have. Don't settle for "Its normal" that doesn't let you have enough info to work with.
    Also I rarely eat dehydrated potatoes, but can not eat real ones due to the acid it contains (grn. peppers, tomataos, eggplant too) as they cause major flare ups.
    Luck to You
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2002]
  5. Carina

Carina New Member

I also wanted to add that apples are full of malic acid so at least one of those a day is a must for me too.It works for me & is a lot cheaper too.
  6. Sue2

Sue2 New Member

I believe I would not be alive if it weren't for my supplements. I learned about supplements when I was 20 and have been using them ever since ( I'm 48 now) My immune system has never been what it should. When FM & MPS & CFS hit hard two years ago my supplements weren't working. That's when I went to a Chiropractor/Kinesiologist who tests me so I know which supplements my body needs or doesn't need. Like I said before, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for supplements and the people who have helped me to use them more wisely.
    Sincerely, sue2
  7. CLMB

CLMB New Member

It's also very important to make sure you are using a High-Quality Vitamin.

A lot of products are not as "top-notch" as they should be... some don't even dissolve!

Make sure what you're taking is actually going to be absorbed by the body.
  8. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

I quit my medication and am med-free now. I cleaned up my diet and exercise every day. The only supplements I take are Melatonin for sleep if I think I need it--works good. And occasionally Magnesium/Malic Acid if I'm in a lot of pain.
    Just doing this has really evened out my pain. I am maintaining now on a more balanced level. I still flare, but they are not nearly as bad as they were before. I have had Fibro for 7 months now. I thought I was hopeless. But it is really mental and you have to train yourself (if you're lazy and unmotivated, like me) to at least try it for 2 weeks. IT takes your brain and body that long to get used to it. I went thru head aches really bad for 2 weeks but now I am over them and feel a lot better.
    Now I just have to work on my memory!! GINKO!
  9. chinassa

chinassa New Member

if we eat a well balanced diet we should be ok unless a specific blood test shows we are low in something.Hummmm
    Chinassa
  10. sujay

sujay New Member

Dr. Shari Lieberman wrote an excellent book on supplements called "The Real Vitamin and Mineral Book". I found it easy to use, and really like the results. She's got a new edition coming out soon. Good nutrition, along with proper exercise and stress management have been crucial in dealing with my own illness. Hope this helps.