Nutrition/Exercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Oct 6, 2002.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Can you recommend any particular literature/cookbooks regarding nutrition? I have insulin resistance and understand high protein, low carb, etc. Also, don't eat much sugar. I feel this is the whole body concept that my doctor hasn't helped with. I am definitely willing to change my lifestyle/habits, but there is a lot out there that isn't good info. Wanted to check with people who have tried/are trying it.

As far as excercise. I worked out prior to my surgery and am now (although haven't gained weight) just untoned and exhausted. I want to try walking/stretching first, just don't want to make my situation worse. People keep saying yoga, but some of that is too much for me at this point. Suggestions?

My food allergies (which I had NONE just over a year ago) -- maybe they aren't actual allergic reactions, but immune reactions -- get worse each week. Now mushrooms cause my throat swelling and never had a problem with those before.

I believe that meds can be necessary, but the less meds you can get by with the better because we never know what all of those drugs are doing when they mix in the body. It seems that it is all about balance and what works for you.

Does anyone meditate? I've been told quite a few times that that helps a lot for some people. I have gotten massage which I believe helped a little at least with morale.
  2. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Can you recommend any particular literature/cookbooks regarding nutrition? I have insulin resistance and understand high protein, low carb, etc. Also, don't eat much sugar. I feel this is the whole body concept that my doctor hasn't helped with. I am definitely willing to change my lifestyle/habits, but there is a lot out there that isn't good info. Wanted to check with people who have tried/are trying it.

As far as excercise. I worked out prior to my surgery and am now (although haven't gained weight) just untoned and exhausted. I want to try walking/stretching first, just don't want to make my situation worse. People keep saying yoga, but some of that is too much for me at this point. Suggestions?

My food allergies (which I had NONE just over a year ago) -- maybe they aren't actual allergic reactions, but immune reactions -- get worse each week. Now mushrooms cause my throat swelling and never had a problem with those before.

I believe that meds can be necessary, but the less meds you can get by with the better because we never know what all of those drugs are doing when they mix in the body. It seems that it is all about balance and what works for you.

Does anyone meditate? I've been told quite a few times that that helps a lot for some people. I have gotten massage which I believe helped a little at least with morale.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I meditate every morning before getting out of bed, when I also pray for people. I have a place I go to in my head, and over the years I have furnished it, planted a garden there, got a little boat there,a great dog pal to hang out with,etc. It's a cabin in woods on a lake, and without it, I would probably be sitting in a padded cell somewhere by now. Try it....visualize whatever would be your most wonderful place to be and make yourself healthy and normal there and go there for a break from all this misery.
    Since you have insulin resistance,I think the best book for you would be "Syndrome X". Seach previous posts or do a websearch for more info on this. Mikie has many posts on this since she started the diet. I am also a big fan of "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James Balch, M.D. This is the reference book I go to most often for alternative help with problems.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  4. roro

roro New Member

there is a great site I belong to, and they DONT sell anything. It is just for info, support, motivation, recipes, etc. It is called atkinfriends dot com.