Nutrition

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Jun 30, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I am by far not a healthy eater. I'm tired, and low on cash. Sometimes the 2 or 3 days before payday are "eat what you can find" days and are of little or no nutritional value.

Even then, I eat alot of crackers, soups, chips, sandwiches, whatever else is easy to find.

This is a stupid question, but, would increasing my nutritional value make that much of a difference in my FM?

I also do not exercise - at all. I am very tired.

Please - no angry replies - just advice. TX
  2. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

What kinds of supplements? I dont know that I could afford them either. I cant take vitamins because the medicine I am on already causes constipation.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

there have been a lot of posts on various aspects of nutrition on here.....I don't have the energy to detail most of it rt now, but one thing I will quickly note is that many people do seem to have some success with some symptom relief by eating less carbs (esp less of the simple carbs)....unfortunately a lot of the things that are easy to grab contain a lot of simple carbs (those are carbs that are broken down quickly and cause big blood sugar fluctuations)
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

not all supplements cause constipation....many have the opposite effect (inc magnesium, which is one that can help a lot with pain)
  5. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

supplements are all well and good for you, I'm sure, but aren't prescriptions cheaper?
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

it depends on the supplement, the medication, and what insurance you have.....some supplements, like Vit D, are really inexpensive and some meds (esp the newest ones) are extremely expensive....and sometimes ins will cover meds and the copay will be minimal, and other times ins won't cover them, or the copay will be extremely high.....I know that when I used to take meds (before I realized that they pretty much all made me personally feel worse), I was spending more on them than I now spend on supplements and I am on way more supplements than I was on meds (& I had/have insurance)

plus, if you have medicare, then unless you qualify for extra help, there is a coverage gap....once you reach a certain amt that has been paid for the yr for meds, then medicare will not cover any of the cost for meds until you have spent a certain amt more (and it's a pretty large amt)
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Shari - Yes, what you eat will definitely make a huge difference as to how you feel. Your body is a machine that needs the very best fuel; if you put junk in your car it wouldn't run so why would your body be any different :) I think sometimes we forget this when our energy is low.

Believe it or not, by not exercising, we actually make ourselves even more tired than we already are. Even if you just start off by walking for 1 minute, that is better than nothing. My S-I-L has FM and once she started walking on a daily basis she was eventually able to return to work.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Vitamins won't cause constipation.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Prescription drugs are most often much more expensive than supplements, especially in the US. Also, you can't compare the two. Supplements are supplementing your food, whereas prescription drugs serve a much different purpose.
  10. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

TigerLilea, when you stated "Supplements are supplementing your food, whereas prescription drugs serve a much different purpose", it really hit home. I'm not sure where to start though.

I'm currently on:
    Lyrica - FM obviously
    Omeprazole - reflux
    Zanaflex - sleep
    Prozac - depression
    Vicodin - pain (I use the maximum dose daily)