Nutritional Healing Strategies Beyond The Paleo Diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RadioFM, Nov 20, 2014.

1. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

What is the difference between a Paleo and Ketogenic Diet?

The Ketogenic Diet Concept:

The Ketogenic diet goes beyond the Paleo Diet concept as the body doesn't have utilize glucose for it's main energy, so it switches into a state of Ketosis where ketones are generated during fat metabolism. Ketones can be used for energy instead of glucose for most of the bodies energy needs.

This can dramatically impacted inflammation levels and may reduce the oxidative stress mechanisms in many diseases we see today.

My focus of this thread is to inform forum members that a nutritional intervention maybe something to consider in your quest to limit FM symptoms. We may need to heal the gut and restore intestinal integrity to achieve better health and vitality. But, we can also change the biological landscape of the body to better control oxidative stress and achieve longevity.

The human body is not required to utilize glucose for it's energy needs and can generate ketones during fat metabolism as the bodies main fuel.

The fat adapted Ketogenic metabolism can also super charge the Mitochondria as the body become more efficient at producing ATP. When we eat a high fat diet, we are restoring are primal metabolism and epigenetic expression needed to heal the body.

I want to add, the ketogenic lifestyle is naturally gluten free and will eliminate the gluten damaging proteins from diet. I feel this may help dramatically improve gut integrity and reduce many of the neurological symptoms related to FM.

A GMO dairy free nutritional Ketogenic diet may be the best option in modulating the immune system and limiting oxidative cellular damage. Based on my research people with a history of leaky gut and who attempt a Ketogenic diet may want to avoid dairy produces to reduce unwanted autoimmune reactions.

This is an open invitation to join me in the road to better health and longevity. This invitation is open to all forum members who are willing to take control of the health and fight for their recovery using nutritional interventions. Please take the time and review the link and videos below.

The Paleo Diet may help limit some of the related oxidative damage. But, people suffering from Fibromyalgia may need to adopt the Ketogenic Diet concept.

I can also help locate a Keto coach to help members who need more support adapting to these concepts.

Eric Westman's UAB Ketogenic Diet Seminar

KETO CLARITY Expert Interview

-Jimmy Moore (Please Review)

-Keto Diet Wahls Paleo Plus Concept: (Please Review)

-Keto Diet Dairy Free Recipes: (Please Review)

Zeeshan Arain - Should We All Be on A Ketogenic Diet?

"Complete Guide to Fats & Oils on a Low-Carb Ketogenic Diet"

The information in this thread is not intended to be medical advice. The information is meant to inspire and motivate you to make your own decisions surrounding your health care and dietary needs. It is intended for educational and informational purposes only.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Sherpa_

Sherpa_ Member

I recently read the book "The IBS Low-Starch Diet" by Carol Sinclar in hopes of getting my gut issues (candida, yeast, parasites) under control.

The book, written for people with Ankylosing Spondylitis in mind, recommend avoiding starch in all forms... from gravy flour, to potatoes, to rice. The book says it's fine to eat fruits, juices, or even sugary deserts like ice cream... just no starch.

So I dropped the only starch I'd been eating (white rice) and replaced those carbs with fruit. Organic red grapes and apples.

I am discovering that the sugar (even in fruit) cause my IBS to get worse than before... when I ate almost no sugar or fruit...but a little starch

My feeling is that the IBS diets are better for ankylosing spondilytis ... and paleo / primal diets are better for candida.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  3. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Why do people fail on a low carbohydrate diet?

The experts I have researched are saying people fail on low carb nutritional interventions because they are eating to much protein and not enough healthy fats.

• We must consume low to moderate protein on a low carb diet.
    • We must consume 75-85% healthy fats to enter into ketosis.
    • We must measures ketones utilizing a glucometer as may have metabolic damage that will need more protein/carb restriction to become keto adapted.

Eating a low carb diet and consume to much protein can very be problematic -because the body will turn the excess proteins in to glucose through Gluconeogenesis if you go over your limit.

This is why the old Atkins diet was not successful long term. They did not measure Blood Ketone to compensate for metabolic issues that can be difficult to over come in anyone's healing journey.

I feel we need to consider a modern approach using the science of today, before we give up on a low carb lifestyle.

I feel the Ketogenic diet may be a good simplistic solution in minimizing many of these possible contributing factors related to FM.

See more below:

Ketogenic Metabolic Diet may help reduce inflammation?

"Seeing that ketogenics cuts down on inflammation, doesn’t it just make sense to give the Keto Metabolic Diet a try? Many individuals seem to have positive results when switching over to the ketogenic lifestyle. Person after person talks of overcoming this health affliction."

"Fibromyalgia reacts so positively to the ketogenic lifestyle that it amazes me how it has remained hidden from the mainstream. People simply don’t know about ketogenics. Those who do have fibromyalgia rave about the benefits they receive from the ketogenic diet."

See more here:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  4. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Jeff Volek - The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation: Health, Performance, and Beyond

"THIS VIDEO IS A MUST SEE: Dr. Volek gives a very lighthearted, yet informative talk with lots of facts and graphs explaining all the benefits a body receives when living the ketogenic lifestyle.
    He reports that just recently the country of Sweden just made the low-carb, high-fat diet the national diet of Sweden. So you can see that ketogenics is catching on, worldwide."

"Dr. Volek explains, in laymen’s terms and in great detail, all of the complexities of how our body’s digests and then assimilates the nutrients from the foods we eat. He explains in great detail how our bodies process carbohydrates and how our bodies store them as fat, plus how insulin is the key to it all."

"He also talks about how easy it really is to adapt to the ketogenic lifestyle. And I agree! You will like his talk, SO MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THIS VIDEO! " See more here:

Nora Gedgaudas—The 'Holy Grail' of Primal Health: Benefits of a Fat-Based Caloric Intake

A Life Saving Diet - The Ketogenic Diet

Note* Please review this video on Jimmy Moore New book (Keto Clarity)

Keto Clarity w/ Jimmy Moore - Bulletproof Executive Radio

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  5. Sherpa_

Sherpa_ Member

Several months back you posted something like "very low carb diets are not for mitochondrial damaged people" so I went off my Primal Blueprint zero grain diet, ate a little rice, had more energy and felt better.

My experience with very low carb and fat burning diets is that they are very healing for certain organs (my thyroid function improved, my gut and digestion improved) but that eating a very modest amount of grain gives me more energy, is more socially acceptable, and is not that harmful.

Question: I don't doubt that keto / paleo is healthy and viable for 'most people.' But my MTHFR genetic defects cause high homocystine levels and greatly increased risks for heart attacks and stroke. Do you think that it's safe - for people with high tendency towards inflammation and genetic defects towards heart disease - to completely ignore the conventional concerns on intake of fats?
  6. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

"Very low Carb/Low Fat diets are not for mitochondrial damaged people"

We may need to increase cell membrane fluidity first - before we can utilize low carbohydrate high fat primal lifestyle. The Mitochondria can becomes damaged and leaky from an overload of oxidative stress and metabolic waste.

How can we restore membrane fluidity?

Lipid Replacement Therapy supplementation is designed to improve mitochondrial function in people with chronic illnesses and multiple chronic infections. These Phospholipids can help repair cellular integrity by increasing cell membrane fluidity.

If we repair the mitochondria first, we allow our cells to increase their nutrient uptake so that Diet, Methylation, Anti-inflammatory support will have the most dramatic effect.

A diet high in nutritional FATS may be the key to controlling oxidative inflammation long term as well as improving cellular function.

See more about Mitochondria Support here:

Lipid Replacement Therapy

"NT Factor does not contain any soy proteins, the source of soy antigens that cause allergic reactions."

"The advantage of NT Factor over foods ( Soy ) that contain lipids is that NT Factor lipids are protected from oxidative damage during storage, digestion and intake into your body. Food lipids are not protected, and you are taking in oxidative-damaged lipids as well as natural lipids."

"Do you think that it's safe - for people with high tendency towards inflammation and genetic defects towards heart disease - to completely ignore the conventional concerns on intake of fats?"

"Saturated fats have been cursed and deemed to be really bad for our health. We've been brainwashed for the last 50 years that saturated fat and cholesterol are the major causes for coronary heart disease and obesity. The entire lipid hypothesis was based on bad science - the flawed and fraudulent research of Ancel Keys."

See more here:

MTHFR Resources

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  7. Sherpa_

Sherpa_ Member

I have experience following low carb & paleo diets. I have read a number of books debunking the "saturated fat is evil" paradigm. I tend to believe the argument that heart attacks are more associated with 'bad' fats: trans fats / hydrogenated fats... or by high fat + high inflammation... rather than just natural fat and a natural diet.

I don't doubt that eating a significant portion of calories from fat is good for many people.

But I wonder if there any conditions or genetic SNPs (heat attack or inflammation markers, nutrient statuses) that this type of Keto / Paleo diet is not suitable for...

I'm just wondering how naturally high homocystiene levels interact with fats, etc.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  8. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

"But I wonder if there any conditions or genetic SNPs (heat attack or inflammation markers, nutrient statuses) that this type of Keto / Paleo diet is not suitable for..."

"I'm just wondering how naturally high homocysteine levels interact with fats, etc."

Hi Sherpa,

This is a great question and I will do my best to help you look for the answers - as many forum members may have MTHFR and concerns about high homocysteine levels interacting with high fat diets.

If I was dealing with the MTHFR issue - I would religiously test my homocysteine levels and take the appropriate supplementation to by pass the polymorphism. Once my homocysteine was well controlled - I will look into other aspects of healing that may help reduce inflammation further. I would not consider a high fat diet if my MTHFR was not addressed first.

I will try to address nutritional ketosis and how it may be beneficial in controlling homocysteine.

When the body utilizes fats/Ketone bodies as it primary fuel - Inflammation, C-reactive protein, Cholesterol markers go in the right direction.

The other beneficial part of being in nutritional ketosis is that it's very protein sparing to the body. This may have a dramatic impact on the NO/ONOO cycle related to FM -as Arginine may help drive this vicious cycle.

If being in a state of nutritional ketosis is protein sparing to the body. How would this impact homocysteine levels?

-Lets Google: Homocysteine - Wikipedia...

is a non-protein α-amino acid. It is a homologue of the amino acid cysteine, differing by an additional methylene bridge (-CH2-). It is bio synthesized from methionine by the removal of its terminal Cε methyl group. Homocysteine can be recycled into methionine or converted into cysteine with the aid of certain B-vitamins."

-"Mammals biosynthesize the amino acid cysteine via homocysteine"

OK, Homocysteine is a homologue of the amino acid cysteine. If a protein sparing diet requires less cysteine to achieve a optimal metabolism - This may have impact Homocysteine levels? Yes

There will always be complexes to the human organism and variations to any solution.

My functional medicine mind tell me to run labs and test Test test. I have Dr. Jack Kruse as my inspiration and will be focusing on his work regarding testing - associated with diet intervention. He has help me fill in a-lot pot holes in my road to recovery.

See more below:

The Keto/Epi-Paleo Diet Concept:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  9. Sherpa_

Sherpa_ Member

Yeah... I am wary about my high fat diet with my unaddressed MTHFR status. (Couldn't tolerate above 100mcg methylfolate on my last attempt). I am trying to fix it with LRT, lowering copper and raising Zn, supplementing SOD, and taking more electrolytes. Think I will have a breakthrough soon.

My personal experience with diet:
    Eating a bunch of grains and sugar is an inferior, degenerating diet. Eating a bunch of veggies, salads and tofu is a deficient, imbalancing diet. Eating a bunch of fish leads to metal toxicity. Too much fruit or sugar leads to candida and hypogylcemia. Eating nothing but of grass fed steak, butter and pastured eggs and lots of veggies is pretty good but extremely rich in fats, folates and proteins which may be unoptimal for certian SNPs and a more sendatary / recovery lifestyle..but probably rocks for a healthy cowboy or Indian. Eating a mixture of meat, fat , veggie, a little fruit and a little grain to add some calories is what i.m most comfortable with... a little low mercury fish for omegas..Works pretty well.. But I'm always up for more optimal.

I like a lot of the diet ideas you are posting. I watched the Jack Kurse podcast and his demeanor was kinda weird, but I'll try to give his concepts a chance

Currently watching William Walsh on role of methylation on epigenetics and brain disorder.. Totally Brilliant!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  10. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Dr. Jack Kruse - are you doing ketogenic / paleo wrong? Mitochondria, circadian rhythms, and DHA

"No evidence that the low levels of mercury in seafood are harmful"

"University of Rochester pediatric neurologist Dr. Gary Myers wrote in the prestigious medical journal The Lancet that his team found “no evidence that the low levels of mercury in seafood are harmful.” The government of Japan (whose citizens eat about five times as much fish as Americans) issued a health advisory in 2003 that read, in part: “The mercury content level of most seafood is low and is not a [high enough] level to cause harm to the health of individuals, even if they are pregnant.”

"University of Rochester Professor of Environmental Medicine Dr. Thomas Clarkson has publicly declared that “eating lots of ocean fish isn’t much of a hazard compared to missing out on the benefits from not eating fish ... Overstating the almost negligible risk of mercury could adversely affect millions of people who face the risk of heart disease.”

See more Here:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  11. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

How to Live Longer than Most People w/ Jack Kruse

Note* We need clean water, iodine, lipids to repair the Mitochondria and fats to enter nutritional ketosis.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  12. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  13. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Ketogenic diet part 2. Specific foods etc.
  14. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Thanks for posting this...all very interesting! I have been looking at the Paleo diet, but tbh, I doubt I would do well on it. I have a gastric lapband (that I am having fill taken out of in March). Anything with protein that I have to chew a lot (steak) or sometimes even all it has to be is a bite of chicken...and it won't go down. But hubby and I have both packed the weight on since 2 years ago. We were both doing so well low carbing. So, going to give it a go again!

The other thing that I just wanted to mention to you is that a lot of nightshade vegetables can also affect pain. Peppers, tomatoes, tobacco, chillies, peppers, eggplant. For me, if I eat anything with tinned tomatoes (ie spaghetti sauce!) I will be in a flare up that will last 2 days ...within 2 hours of digestion. I think the thing is that there so many options out there to investigate....and find one that suits you. But that it is a way of eating for life...not a diet. (right?!).
    RadioFM likes this.
  15. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

7 Easy Steps To Start Eating A Ketogenic Diet
    Alyssa-Admin likes this.
  16. Alyssa-Admin

So basically, lettuce grown in Shangri La and tended to by virginal handmaidens... because there's not much left! joking aside...Very, very interesting....I want to watch all of them....and I will do when I get some more time. I know that peanut butter has bacteria in it and I always keep it in the fridge...and it is one of the few proteins I can eat (gastric lap band problems). Sigh...
  17. Alyssa-Admin

Very interesting about Sweden going low carb!!!! I read that the American Diabetes Association will be making a similar change of the food pyramid recommended. I was with a friend the other day, who is diabetic. She goes to a diabetic nurse...and was never told that carbs are what is affecting her sugar levels! Shocking!
  18. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Hi Alyssa-Admin,

Yes, Go Sweden!

I feel many may need to utilized a Paleo-Style /Elimination Diet concept first -as many foods can cause an hyperactive immune responses in the body. If there is a-lot of metabolic damage as seem in FM, many people may need time to adjust to a low carbohydrate high fat diet.

The first step is education and having the right mind set to make the right decisions.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  19. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

Keto-Adapted Diets with Maria Emmerich

Note: Liver and gallbladder function, which are vital for breaking down fats, may be impaired in FM. Please look for the books on the Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush on Amazon. Please review video blow.

The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush Recipe

The information in this thread is not intended to be medical advice. The information is meant to inspire and motivate you to make your own decisions surrounding your health care and dietary needs. It is intended for educational and informational purposes only.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  20. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

The Ketogenic Diet: An Answer for more than Weight-Loss Resistance

KETOGENIC 2015 SHOPPING LIST SERIES: All the macros you need to keto adapt!

KETOGENIC DIET: how to shop keto on a budget!!!

KETOGENIC DIET: protein and fermented veggies suggestions to keto adapt

KETOGENIC DIET: egg/sausage/bread McMuffin style breakfast by Stephanie Person

BASIC KETO KIT for people trying the ketogenic diet!!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015