Nystatin/AmpotericinB/Diflucan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

People on the list seem to talk mostly about natural yeast remedies (e.g. probiotics, herbs).

What are your experiences with prescription anti-fungals for systemic yeast?

How have you had success in using them (on their own or pulsed/combined with the non-prescription treatments)?

My doctor recommends prescription treatments.

However, I'd like to talk to him intelligently about whether it would be appropriate to have some sort of combined approach as well as to know what to expect when using the drugs.

What has or hasn't worked for you?
  2. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Both my rheumy and my primary care practitioner use both alternative and pharmaceutical treatments.

Two years ago I had a really bad yeast infection. My NP prescribed Amphoterecin B to be taken for a month and then we retested stool there was a little yeast remaining so we did a 30 day round of herbal yeast remedy. We agreed Amphoterecin was a good way to go targeting intestinal yeast. While it's a very heavy duty antifungal it doesn't travel into blood stream. So less of an impact on detox system. We treated vaginally with two rounds of another material - I think Zyban (sp?)

I also remained on a yeast elimination diet (no sugar, not even fruit) for the entire treatment.

I've been on low dose doxycycline for a over a year. I've had only a couple small yeast flares. Rheumy gave me fluconazole. Worked fine.

Love & Light
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

the vaginal stuff wouldn't be zyban because that's a stop-smoking med (also known as wellbutrin). do you know what the vaginal stuff was supposed to do? (e.g. kill yeast or alter vaginal Ph.D. or introduce probiotics) Was it prescription? I've been trying to cure a vaginal infection for months, with no success yet.

For those of you who are following my vaginal yeast progress.....my doctor was fully confident he could do it (and has never been wrong any time in the past that he's been that confident), but his office staff has yet to get me the prescriptions. Still, it's far better to have a great doctor with a not-great office staff than the other way around. So I will keep you informed....
  4. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Yeah, you're right. My husband used zyban years ago to help stop smoking. The product I used was Terazole. Both names are also used in the ag chemical industry that I'm involved in and therein the confusion lies!

My NP felt as though we wouldn't eliminate the vaginal problem until we eliminated the intestinal yeast. It was a severe vaginal yeast infection.
  5. sfd647

sfd647 New Member

Lu

I have used Nystatin both cream and powder. I have used Diflucan as well. I have a very hard time with the yeast infections. They are very severe. Because of chronic cellulites episodes of which I have been hospitalized so many times, I had to be put on IV antibiotic use. Then I go home on oral antibiotics. Because of all the anitibiotics I have been having to take to keep ahead of this horrible infection, it keeps the yeast infection bothering me continually. I have even gone to eating yogurt as in the past. It always seemed to work then. However, because of the strength and length of time involved taking the antibiotics, it is too much and needs strong medicines to combat it now.

The Nystatin does work. I have used the Monistat cream to put on the affected areas on the outside. Trust me, they are really extreme. However, I have been staying right on the Nystatin cream using it several days at a time and it seems to be clearing it up this time. Also, I was talking to a nurse friend of mine. She said she has worked in physical therapy and has had patients in there who were on heavy antibiotic treatments and also suffered with bad yeast infections. Doctors put them on Diflucan but for an extended amount of time. Not just a tablet once a day for 3 days or however one would prescribe. Also, they were known to take 400 mg a day for two weeks. THAT really did it. No problems with the Diflucan but the yeast was really taken care of. I am going to mention that to my doctor to see about doing that. No wonder I haven't been able to get rid of this thing. Didn't have the proper dosage to fit the amount of time I was on the antibiotics. I just wanted to pass that on to all that have suffered greatly with this. My friend, the nurse, also had a severe case of yeast infection when she had to be on antibiotic treatment for a long length of time. She went on a 2-3 week treatment with Diflucan taking 400 mg / day and she got rid of it as well. So don't give up on a good medication because it didn't seem to work. Problem is that all of us didn't get the proper dosage. It is fine to take it the short term like most do. However, when we have it in such a severe form, longer length of therapy and strength is necessary because we are not "NORMAL". :)

Sylvia
  6. sfd647

sfd647 New Member

Lisapetrison or should I call you Lisa? :)

About those remedies and your inquiry about what does or doesn't work, read my reply to one of the other comments. I am sure that the product is right, just that you haven't been given enough. Normally, it would be enough if it was just a brief amount of time that a person was on a 10 day antibiotic treatment and was done with it. Yeast infections are not uncommon to follow those treatments or occur while you are still on them. However, if you have a chronic situation that requires a long term antibiotic treatment, then you are going to need a long term yeast infection treatment and stronger dosage. That is what I am going to do with my doctor. Diflucan 400mg/day for about a 2 week period of time. But do read the other comment where I mention it more fully. Bless you and trust me, I DO know how it feels. :( I have had patches that were over 5" x 7" area!! I know, that IS extraordinary!! But I am not over emphasizing. This last bout was the worst ever so read what I had to say in that comment.

Sylvia
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I actually took 100 mg of Diflucan per day for a month over the summer, in order to get rid of a sinus infection. It worked, or in any case it worked well enough to rid me of the horrible problem (extreme dizziness due to pressure on my inner ear) that was accompanying it.

I've been struggling since the beginning of the summer with a bad vaginal yeast infection. It did pretty much go away when I was on the Diflucan, but now has returned.

My doctor said he was going to formulate some special suppositories of different types for the vaginal infection, but I haven't gotten the prescriptions yet.

More Diflucan for a longer period of time sounds like a good backup plan. Once I was on 100 mg a day for about six months, and had no liver problems.

Meanwhile, I have decided to attack the problem myself (once again) with a combination of goldenseal suppositories (available at a local supplement store), vinegar-and-water douches loaded with huge amounts of probiotics, and Nystatin cream. (The cream was prescribed for me quite a while back, but it sort of itched and stung the first time I used it. I thought then that it was an allergic reaction, but now I'm thinking it is a die-off and thus a good thing. We'll see.)

My doctor said that what I need is a combination approach---something to alter the PH of the vagina (acidic is better), something to kill the yeast, something to reintroduce probiotics, and something for external problems. Maybe this will work. I suppose I'll get his prescriptions eventually if not.

That's an interesting protocol about the Diflucan, though. I've never heard of it being used that high and am glad to have an option available.

Thanks!
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm also hoping that if I can get rid of yeast in my intestines with a combination of colonics, herbs and probiotics, the vaginal infection might be easier to attack. Supposedly colonics help with sinus infection (presumably the ones caused by yeast), even though obvioiusly they're not addressed directly. So maybe the vaginal stuff will be helped by them as well.....at least enough to help me get rid of it with other means.