o.k. I have to now admit that I need to use a

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Cane, I am always falling down and I can't walk a straight line if my life depended on it, I fell 2 days ago on both of my bad knees and now they are all black and blue.

The thing is I have my hearing date coming up on the 17th and I don't want anyone thinking that I am trying to make myself look worse or that I am pretending to need it.

I just hate the falling and the tripping...I mean for petes sake I trip over air..if that's even possible.

O.K. this was just a vent and I know I can always come here and do my venting without getting a (tsk or a head shaking)

Love to all, Ann
  2. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

Since my back injury and sciatica I cant balance without it!..Plus if Im sitting down I use it to get up and out of the car also. I have used if for 2 years...Dont be ashamed...take all the help you can get!.IDo..L.
  3. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I am with ya! just this morning I couldnt get up out of the chair that i slept in- the recliner- the only thing that was close to me was an umbrella!

I used that to get up and than pulled the cane out under my bed----so today is my acceptance of the cane-

thats fine with me----i am tired of falling, losing balance and like this morning, tired of not able to get up on my own anymore!

so smile and be glad we can still get up and walk!
    jgavi
  4. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

I would take the cane, that is part of you!

and make sure you tell them that you just started to use it and honestly tell them how youo feal-

nothing wrong with telling them the truth that you feal strange now using it.......they will understand!

jgavi
  5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

You're probably one of those people who see others abusing the system and don't want to be lumped in w/ them. Since on the outside you look perfectly normal.

I'm sure that describes most of us here. I can't give legal advice, but if it's possible, let your lawyer do all the talking.

One thing I've learned here is that if I wanted to be a professional disability getter, what better disease to have than this one, it being elusive and all. If a person needed information about this DD, it's all here freely given.

I think as far as your tripping goes, I think we lack rhythm. What I mean is that especially w/ the weather changes, our joints don't cooperate w/ the signal the brain is trying to send.

I see two types of people here. Those who have rhythm and those who don't. I'm in those who don't, the others who do can play guitar, musical instruments, can still type fast, and so on.

My hearings coming soon also, and I know that if I had a job, I would get fired, because of my flares such as I have today. If I told an employer about my DD They would not hire me. I have to keep that in my head. even though I walk into the court room on my own power.

I hope this helps. It's kind of long winded.
    Dan
  6. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Thanks so much for your reply I really appreciate it very much, when is your hearing? Very good luck to you and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. take care.

Love to all, Ann
  7. webintrig

webintrig New Member

There is no shame in using one.

I went to one of my interviews with my cane.

I can't help it. I need it and it sounds like you do too.

I use a hiking stick.

When I was going in the SSD doors another gentleman was coming out with the same hiking stick and we both commented on how much that stick has helped us.

I hope this helps!

Soft hugs,
  8. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

When I finally had to break down and use a cane at work it was very hard for me. It is however, better than falling all the time.

I agree with the comment to take the cane with you to the hearing. It is part of you. You don't want to look to good when you go to your hearing! Good Luck!
  9. mindbender

mindbender New Member

It has been along wait so I called them, they said I haven't missed it and I should be recieving my letter soon.
  10. Linky

Linky New Member

Ann, not sure if this helps, but my lawyer told me to dress in my everyday clothing and to use whatever I would on a normal day, whether that be a cane, walker, whatever. I went to my hearing in my comfortable jeans and sweater, and also had my tens unit on me. I finally won my case after trying to get disability for 4 years. Good luck to you!!

Colleen
  11. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Is it possible that your blood pressure is dropping when you stand? I had this problem for so long. I had some nasty falls. I do better now that my BP is somewhat normal. Mine is sporadic now which is scary because I do not know when it's going to happen.
  12. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

Do any or all of you cane users have advice for buying one? I am ready to take the same step (ha ha) and wonder if there are different kinds, lengths, etc...How do you chose one?

thanks, Jana
  13. mindbender

mindbender New Member

the new canes are adjustable, and differant colors. made out of aluminum even
  14. webintrig

webintrig New Member

I have one of them too.

I perfer my hiking stick. It is adjustable to and it has a spring in the bottom so as to help you... it also has adjustable tip ends and a flap so as not to sink in the mud...one tip for ground and one tip for cement.. where the other canes don't.

Draw back is it has a hard plastic grip but I just put fuzzy, soft hairband around the the grip.Grip is molded for your fingers.

I am even going to put a piece of long stretch kind of material so if I fall by myself I can crawl to the cloth or cane, which ever is closest.

Hopes this helps,

15. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Ann:

I use a cane every once in a while also. I don't like it, but....if I need it, I need it.

I would not worry too much about it. It is sure better than the falling, which I have done myself (right in front of the bank on the sidewalk).

nyrofan
  16. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Sorry you have had a fall and hurt your knees. We don't bounce well do we? I am sure other parts are hurting too because when we fall we jar everything in our bodies and places that shouldn't hurt, hurt really bad.

You must be so stressed with your hearing coming up. I was when I was applying for disability. It is my experience that the more stress is in your life the more we fall and hurt ourselves or bump into things.

I think the reason for this is because we can only concentrate on so many things at a time. Our pain takes up a huge amount of concentration. When you hurt all over you have to actually 'think' to walk.

Now add in your worries about your hearing, I bet it never leaves you mind, you are constantly thinking about it all the time. Plus all the other things that are on your mind like family issues.... It is no wonder that you fall, you just don't have enough concentration to do all those things at once.

I used to walk along and go splat for no apparent reason! It was so embarrassing. I also think when I am tired I tend to drag my left leg a bit because the left side is where all my pain is. Bam! I would be down on the ground because I was thinking about something else and not watching where I put my feet!

As for worrying about using your cane. I will tell you that if you need it use it! That being said it isn't as easy as that. We don't look ill, we have people judging us all the time and now you are going to a hearing where everything you do is being judged.

Maybe you should take photos of your black and blue knees. Then if someone at the hearing comments on your cane your lawyer can show them what happens when you fall???

I have a handicap parking pass and you know I hardly ever use it. It is silly because I get so tired. But I can walk and I think all those other people are looking at me and saying "she doesn't need a parking pass"! Silly aren't I.

I also like the comment that Linky made about dressing the way you normally would. Most of us are so concerned about how we appear to others that we fuss with our appearance before we go to the doctors.

This is actually the wrong thing to do. A cousin of mine who also has FM said to me that I was presenting the wrong picture because I was embarrassed for the doctor to see how bad I was.

You want to show your doctor (or the people in the hearing) the real you. So wear comfortable clothes like you would at home, if you are too tired most days to even comb your hair then let them see that. Leave the earrings and jewellery at home and the makeup. We don't wear this at home. We don't have the energy to even blow dry our hair because our arms hurt.

If you are going to see a new doctor don't take your pain medication for 2 days before the appointment so the doctor sees the real you. Don't go 'candy coated'.

At first I thought this was kind of dishonest but you know this illness is invisible. If the doctors can see you with your head in your hands because you are in too much pain to hold it up, you haven't brushed your hair because even your hair hurts then maybe they will listen to what you have to say.

Sorry I will get off my bandwagon now! I wish you luck at your hearing. I feel for you and all the distress that I can read in your posts. Please make sure you present the real you to this hearing and don't go "candy coated".

hugs Redwillow

[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2006]
  17. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

You gave me a good laugh...thinking of more "accessories."

How about black and orange crepe paper for Halloween or a string of battery-run blinking lights for each holiday. Pumpkins, black cats, santas, ornaments, hearts...I have seen these in every shape you could imagine! These could double as a safety device when walking on a busy road.

Seriously, it COULD come in handy for keeping you safe. Attacking dogs, stray snakes, and maybe a weirdo or two? I am getting more and more excited about getting one and learning the possibilities!

Jana
  18. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

for answering my post, you all have been so wonderful and very supportive in this cane thing, I cannot tell you all how much I love you and how I would not know where I would be today with all of your help and suggestions. I will be going cane shopping tomorrow.

Now if only I can take the pain away from my jaw even if for just an hour I would be even more happy.

love to all, Ann