o.k. now my ? about rib pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

it started 2 days ago and it's actually in my back rib......we have back ribs and it's on my left side but it does hurt to move around.

Love to all, Ann
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Hi Ann, sorry about this, but maybe you have the start of costochondritis! Read Nanjee's post about it on the board today. It can start anywhere around your rib cage.

Or, it could be a muscle is "stuck" and not allowing your rib to move.

Do you smoke? If yes, and you have a cough, you could have blown a hole in your lung (a pneumothorax).

Can you take a deep breath? If yes, probably not lung thingy.

Does an anti-inflammatory help it? I get help with only 200 mg ibuprofen after every meal.

I also take Zantac to protect gastro tract from the ibuprofen. Think even an over counter one would help.

If you can breathe deeply, try taking slow, deep breaths, hold to count of 8 and exhale slowly thru pursed lips to count of 7. Then wait until your natural response to inhale deeply again.

Try this 4-5 times and see if it gets that muscle to relax its hold on your rib, if that's what it is.

I hope you find out what it is so you can get some relief! If it persists, I really think you should see a doctor. Women can have back pain like this in heart problems, so you'd need to get it evaluated if home therapy doesn't help.

A heating pad might help, too!

findmind
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Hello Find,

I did everything you said and I still hurt, it does not hurt to take a deep breath in, no I don't smoke. I'll just keep a close eye on it..there is a family history of heart disease in my family as well, hopefully I feel better soon.
    thanks find and Nancy for replying to my post.

Love to all, Ann