O/T Any remedies for poison ivy or oak?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. kdeenak

    kdeenak New Member

    Hubby and I are clearing land to build a house and I have it mostly on my arms, butit is appearing in small patches all around my body. I am highly allergic and usually have to go to the doctor and get a steroid dose pack or a shot.

    HELP!! I bought some stuff the pharmacist said had Calamine lotion and Benadryl cream in it. It seems to help a little. Anyone have some remedies?

    I don't want to go to the doctor. :(

    WANT TO SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH!!!!!!!!!!!,

    Deena
  2. kdeenak

    kdeenak New Member

  3. claudiaw

    claudiaw New Member

    I have tried everything myself.

    I end up needing a shot every yr. They make me ache even more, it's terrrible, but one spot of poison ivy one day, turns into a bigger and bigger patch everyday!

    One yr. I got Burt's bee's poison ivy soap, and it helped a bit. A little bleach in your bath water may help, lot's of alcohol( on the skin!:).

    Some people use iodine or baking soda w/vinegar poultice.

    That's all I can think of right now.

    Maybe there will be more suggestion's, I'll be checking, because I have a terrible time with it. When we think we have killed it all, it show's up somewhere else.

    Best wishes,
    claudia
  4. UnicornK

    UnicornK New Member

    I had a friend who worked in a morgue. When she got poison ivy, she used formaldehyde. It worked, but OUCH!!! LOL

    God Bless.
  5. claudiaw

    claudiaw New Member

    Can you imagine asking for formaldehyde?:)

    I'll try anything though.:)

    Claudia
  6. UnicornK

    UnicornK New Member

    It works by burning off the skin that is inflamed with the poison ivy. Not exactly a pain-free method, if you ask me! LOL

    God Bless.
  7. springshower

    springshower New Member

    Hi......Go to the super market,to the aisle with the detergents.....Look for Fels-Naptha soap.....scrape of shavings,use warm water & make a paste & apply it to the affected areas.....This dried up poison ivy that I had & I am extremely allergic to it!! it is an old family remedy that my hubby told me about....Springshower
  8. KateMac329

    KateMac329 New Member

    Oh goodness, I completely forgot! The week before our wedding my husband got poison ivy all over his arms and stomach! I was terrified that I would catch it on our honeymoon if you know what I mean! LOL

    Anyway, he finally had to go to the doctor and if I remember correctly he had to get some sort of shot.

    I know this isn't something you can do at home but it is all I've got!

    Get better!

    kate
  9. obrnlc

    obrnlc New Member

    hi--use clorox full strength on the areas, frequently. Good luck--L
  10. caroleye

    caroleye New Member

    Our property's full of it also, so we make sure we're covered from head to toe.

    But when my husband got it, was told as soon as you "think" you touched some, get to the cold water; then wash in vinegar.

    Be sure to not touch your clothes; get them off & wash them in vinegar as well.

    I've been lucky so far, as I'm paranoid of what it can do.

    LIGHT**********carole
  11. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    I know you hate to go to the doctor, and who wants to be on steroids, even a short course, if they don't have to, but----poison oak can become systemic and invade your lungs, for example, and if you say you're "highly allergic", I'd get treated and soon to avoid any further invasion of your body.

    My daughter had poison oak a few years ago, and we treated it with benedryl cream, etc. for a few days and watched it get worse til her face swelled up, etc. then got the short-course steroids from the doc. She was better in a couple of days. Next time, I won't fool around....There are those who aren't so allergic and topical remedies are fine, but she was one who needed the heavy artillery.

    Whatever you find that works, good luck to you and I hope you are itching less SOON!!!

    (((Hugs)))
    Pam
  12. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    My SON is highly allergic to Poison Ivy, sumac, oak. Even as a toddler, just a call to doc and they ordered steriods. He would get deformed he would swell so bad.

    So, as you probably know, the rash get progressively worse for 10 days, then,,,, gradually subsides over next 10 days. First, be sure to wash off the oily residue with soap and water. Take a WATERMELLON and cut out the red down to the white flesh. Rub it all over the rash. This should STOP THE PROGRESSION. It will not necessarily make it feel better, but should not get any worse and will start subsiding.

    This has worked twice for my son but I never knew why. I recently read that WATERMELLON is a good source of Glutathion. Maybe this has something to do with it, I don't know.

    It really is torture, I hope you get relief somehow.