O.T. Anyone meet their spouse/B.F. online? How did you meet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Jan 24, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I know people who have met online. Many ends up together and/or married. Still surprises me and folks from all classes and walks of life.

The stories are cute to hear. I used to think that was a scary way to meet someone. I still think you have to be very careful. But all is so interesting and fun.

I am not looking, my DH and I have been married for 33 years now! I say that I went to work for him and now he works for me. LOL.

I think this would be a fun posting.........

2. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

we did meet through the personal ads in our local paper.
    I was 26 and tired of going out trying to meet "the One". I had 2 serious long term relationships, but for one reason or another each did not work out. And bars were NOT for me at all.

My sister had met her husband through the personal ads and told me to give it a try. I hesitated because I thought it could be dangerous and was worried what type of guys respond (although my sister's hubbie is great!)

Anyway, put ad in and rec'd 102 replies!!! Wow-how to sort them out? My mom and sisters each picked their favorite and my now husband was picked by 4 of the 5. Well, he was the first I met out of 102 and the LAST! Married almost 16 years. Great guy!

Fun posting, Sues1!!
    Hugs,
    Sue
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

We've been together for over 2 yrs. It wasn't any instant thing for me, no love at first sight or anything. I did several dating services on and off for yrs. Had a few relationships that lasted up to a yr, met some longterm friends, had a blast. Tons of interested guys, but rarely an attraction from my end.

"knew" Ron for over a mth from online chat, email and then evolved to phone. Wasn't very attracted, but he was PERSISTANT, he knew what he wanted and was relentless in a sweet way. Not pushy, controlling, or scary at all, just very determined and transparent, no commitment issues or waffling, had to admit it was refreshing and drew me in eventually even though the attraction wasn't really there.

When we met, the look on his face was priceless, like I'd just hurt him in a good way. he still asks about the red cargo pants I wore to that first date too, heh. I guess it was the gentleness and total vibe of harmlessness about him, even though he's 6'2 and a big bear of a man, because it sure wasn't immediate charm, humour and interesting conversation. He was so shy, quiet and frankly, quite boring that first date. But I do like shy guys (I'm polar opposite of shy and quiet) and knew if I gave him a chance, I'd eventually draw him out and see the real him.

the other thing that compelled me to keep dating (though I'd still convinced myself it was just to fool around since he was so safe), was he was so complimentary and made me feel really good. I'd told him about full disability before we'd even met, and it didn't phase him one teeny bit, nother bonus. So at the end of our date, I was saying bye to him outside the restaurant and put my hand out for a shake. I was going to give him the warm two-hander because I likeed him, but he just reeled me in and planted a kiss on my cheek before I knew what hit me. I was touched and impressed by his sudden show of courage.

It's not perfect, wouldn't say he's my soulmate (not sure that's possilbe), we've worked out some issues and have another one to go. But largely, my life is much better w/ him adn he's totally supportive and always encouraging. He loves having me at home, would actually prefer it if I never worked, but knows I'd be really happy to get part time again, and both sides of our family and friends get along real well (that's huge I know). Rest is history.

Jeanne

4. rmc20021

rmc20021 New Member

I met my guy 4 months ago Monday. My husband had left me for someone else and although our marriage had been over for years, it was the way that he did it that was so devestating to me.

Because the marriage had been over for so long, I was ready to BE in a relationship and signed up online for Match.com and a couple others. I weeded out ones I DIDN'T want to respond with and started making contacts with the ones I did want to meet.

They all ended with either me not liking them, or them not liking me. I was ready to give up. Then, there was a new face in town...not necessarily one I'd have responded to right away, but I decided what the heck...looks isn't everything.

I notified him, he replied back with his phone number and after learning there really isn't a lot of sense in dragging out online correspondances, I called him the same day.

We met the next morning for coffee, which lasted 4 hours. We talked about everything...he told me I was beautiful. I wasn't impressed with his looks, but his personality, our ease in relating and allllll the things we had in common told me I'd like to see him again.

At the end of our first meeting he asked how I thought things had gone, I told him and he asked if I'd like to get together again...maybe the next week. I told him I really didn't want to wait that long.

So, that night we went to dinner and I felt so comfortable with him that I went back to his place to watch tv (usually a big no-no, but his daughter and grandchildren live there also so I felt ok about it.)

We have had the time of our lives, sharing so much together. We've even taking a vacation together. I love his kids and grandkids like my own....even babysit for his grandkids.

Our lives are so much alike that it's scarey. Anyways, we're totally in love, I'm happier than I've ever remembered being and we're talking marriage.

If he hadn't come into my life when he did, I don't know what would have become of me with my husband leaving me. But, my bf has a way of making me laugh and we share the same humor...which has made both our lives so much better.

We are above all best friends.
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am loving each and every story that you all have posted here. It is so uplifting to read your responses.

I admire that you took action to find someone. You are certainly inspiring to others, and me. Good for you!

I pray that all continues in good ways, as they are now.
    Blessings
  6. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I met my fiance Steve on an LDS (Mormon) dating website. The funny thing is that neither of us makes a very good mormon & we do not practice - were just trying it out to see if we could make it work again. He is my hero. I met him about a year prior to diagnosis & he has helped me through it. I have never had a relationship as good as the one I have with Steve, and I honestly didn't know it was possible!!

We are getting married all the way in North Carolina (live in California) in April, with all of his family. I am so excited, I can't even tell you!!!

Great topic! Thanks!

Leanne
  7. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm loving this thread! I too have an on-line story to tell. I have been on this on-line dating site for about 8 months now. At first it was just an experiment and curiousity. I've been divorced 6 yrs now and thought long and hard about the future and if I wanted to spend it alone. I don't go out much and am never really in situations were I would meet people (men) so I thought I might give it a go and see what happens.

I put a profile with pic and waited. Most of the hits I got on my profile were to old or way to young. Lots were from other countries or way to far. Many were just creepy and weird! Then just as I was thinking of removing my profile about three months ago, I got a response from this gentleman who lives in the next province about 3 hrs away. He and I have been emailing each other every day for 3 months. Next came the phone calls, we exchanged phone numbers and speak every other day for about 2 hrs!!! I can't believe this is happening! We are perfect for each other in evey way...almost like we were ment to be together at this paticular time in life.

I'm so excited, we are making plans to meet in the next two weeks. He has been divorced for several yrs, and is missing having a partner to share his life with and do I. He has two grown daughters and my children are basicaly grown as well. We have so much in common and have connected in a way I have never connected with anyone before. His looks are not what I would be attracted to as a rule, but he stirs something in me that goes beyond the physical......and I have come to learn that looks are skin deep.

I never was a believer in On-Line dating before, but I have heard so many positive results from it that I thought I should give it a fair shot....I'm glad I did!

For those of us dealing with our conditions on a daily basis getting out and about is sometimes not possible, and lonliness is a factor in some of our lives, I think going the root of On-Line dating is an acceptable and accessible way CFIDS/FMS people can find a life partner or friends without having to go through the stress and physical exhuastion that comes with navigating the bar scene, night clubs, social events....ect. As we know these stressors can amplify our symptoms and increase the chances of flares.

Good-Luck to everyone!
    Hugs
    Sandy
  8. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

My husband and I have been married for a little over 2 weeks! We met on salondotcom. I contacted him about his profile, we went out for a drink after emailing for a few days.

At the end of the date he said, "What are you doing this weekend?" And we've been together ever since! That was 3 years ago.

I was skeptical about online dating before but my cousin encouraged me. I loved it! It's like a buffet - you get to pick out the men you like and skip the ones you don't, you can reject someone without hurting their feelings, you get to know their likes/interests etc before you ever meet (their profile).

It's great! I should be their spokesperson. There's no way I would have ever met this sweet, loving, supportive, wonderful man in a bar!

Meow
  9. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

This thread is to good, sending you up one more time.

Solaris
  10. SLBell

SLBell New Member

I responded to his letter on Love@AOL. We wrote back and forth for a month. We met and have been living together ever since. He is a paralegal.
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My husband and I met through a personal ad in a singles paper. We dated 8 monthes and got married in Las Vegas. We have been happily married for 18 yrs. My husband was so sweet, he used to send me a a half dozen roses every week the whole while we were dating.

I loved meeting people and dating this way when I was single. I met some of the nicest, best quality guys this way. So if you`re thinking about trying to meet someone online or through a personal ad go for it. It is a ball and you`ll always have a date. Its easier to find what you`re looking for this way.
  12. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

Met on America Online in 1997. I was on there at about 2AM doing a search for guys in my area that were my age. Oddly enough, he was the only one online at that time that met my search criteria.

We met face to face on February 14th, 1997 at a Subway restaurant. He had walked over 3 miles to meet me there because he had no car. He was so shy and sweet. I used to sneak down to the city and see him before work and we had every Wednesday off together. I was 17 and he was 20 at the time. I still lived at home.

So here we are 9 years and 2 children later. I truly couldn't be happier. He is my best friend :) And such a sweetie!

BTW- the movie 'You've Got Mail' is one of our favorites!!
  13. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

One last time.....LOL

I'm sure there are more Romantics out there??

Solaris
  14. gnanny

gnanny New Member

He is rather quiet and shy and had only dated one other girl and had his heart broken badly.

I was worried about him when he said he was going to sign up for online dating but kept my mouth shut 1. because he is 30 2. because I was so glad he was willing to try again.

Bottom line is he met a wonderful girl, same age, shy also, never been married, good career and her own home. They took it slow in the beginning and really got to know each other before they began to go out. They are now married with a beautiful baby boy.

As for how did I meet my husband?...long time ago(40 years) his brothers told him they knew a girl they wanted him to meet. He ignored them of course. Meanwhile I was asked out by another boy...my very first date ( I was just shy of my 16th birthday) was the 4th of july rodeo...before we headed out to the rodeo we made a detour and met up with my now husband and his date. They talked a minute then off to the rodeo. A few days later my now husband turned up on my front porch and the rest is history. Oh yes the best part...I was told much later the reason the two guys met up before the rodeo was that my date was trying to trade me for his and my now husband turned him down. Apparently between his brothers and my date thinking I was perfect for him he decided to get to know me. Two years later we were married. Just celebrated our anniversary the 11th of this month.
  15. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I had a neighbour who met her now hubby online. She kissed a few frogs first, but it didn't take her long to meet him. They had the most wonderful courtship, they "waited" till they got married. She was a very devout christian, and he was newly bornagain.

As for the person who said they never would have met their spouse in a bar, well, stranger things have happened. My old best friend and I went out to a club, we rarely did that, and she so happened to meet her now husband there. He also, rarely went out. He liked her right away, despite her wild friend w/ the wild antics (that would be me) and he got her number. Didn't try to pick up on her, or take her home, just a #. They dated and moved in after just a few mths. I ws against moving that quick, but it worked for them. She needed an operation for fibroid tumours just after they moved in, but he stuck by her. That ws huge because the original recommendation was a hysterectomy, but she was only in her mid 20's and her and her father would have none of it. She desperately wanted a family.

last I heard, she was pregnant w/ her first and probably only now. The fibroids had come back and the surgeon said have your baby now and hysterectomy after, since the fibroids were repeat offenders. She was esctatic and her and Jim have been super happy every since.

jeanne
  16. sues1

sues1 New Member

All the posting are wonderful!
    I have a friend that is thinking now of trying it. She has no idea what to ut into a profile though. She is afraid that her listing she might turn the right ones off.

I say that to be straight forward as the right ones will respond to her. Any suggestions.

Love all of you....and thanks
  17. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member