o/t..... dog and diarhea question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Xena just started having diarhea this morning and has been going on since, what could be causing this???

she doesn't seem sick her nose is cold and wet, my boys told me yesterday that when they took her out for a walk that she found some fish sticks on the ground outside and ate that.

plus I just introduced her to some new dog food. any help or suggestions would be great.

Ann.
  2. 30feeling80

30feeling80 New Member

Put her back on the old stuff, then wean her; 1/4 new, 3/4 old...Few days later, 1/2 and 1/2...

You get the pic.

Good luck.
    Darlene
  3. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Switching food on them can cause it in a heart beat. Our vet recommends gradually mixing in the new food with the old food to "gently" convert them over to it.

I even did this when switching from puppy to adult food of the exact same brand. Their tummies get used to having the same thing and any big change like that can cause it.

Mine can eat a "few" table scraps with no bad effects, but a complete change in his diet throws him off every time. Who would have thought that their tummys could be so sensitive? They lick their butts........

Do you still have any of the old dog food so you can mix it and convert slowly? If that's it, it should straighten up pretty quickly, I would think.
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

What kind of dog food did you switch from and what kind is the new one? Sometimes just the change will cause this. I agree with whoever (sorry, can't remember names!) said to do the change slowly not all at once.

One thing my sister learned from raising puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind is that when a dog has diharrea to stop giving them dog food for a couple days and feed them plain cooked white rice. When the stool starts to firm up, slowly add the dog food back into their diet and reduce the amount of rice until they are back on track.

We did have an episode with both dogs last fall (about 10 days apart) where they had horrible watery explosive diharrea. We tried taking all food away and after two days they didn't get any better.

We took the golden, Rey, into the vet and he was on two meds for 10 days. Cleared him up completely in about 3 days. Then when the lab, Aster, got it we took her to a different vet (Saturday and our vet was closed) and he put her on one med that cleared it up within 36 hours.

Xena may also have a touch of food poisoning and her body is just trying to get rid of it. I think since you know she ate fish sticks that I would try the rice thing and then when you go back to the dog food, change from the old to the new slowly.

Hugzz to you and Xena,
    Greenbean
  5. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I had to switched foods because she just stopped eating it, so I thought maybe try her on something different just to get her eating as she was almost 3 days without eating.

I will give all of your's suggestions and see how that goes.
    thanks again, Ann
  6. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I have a lab that has a very sensitive stomach, when she gets like that the vet told me to boil hamburger in water and make some rice, drain hamburger and mix with the rice.
    i make enough for about 3 days feed them nothing else. you can warm it in the microwave, just be careful to not get it to hot.
    sixtyslady
  7. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

thank you so much, I will give that a try later today.

Ann
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You need to be aware that Pepso leaves a lovely pink stain on the carpet! It does work, and my vet and trainer both recommend it. I forgot about that.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Anne Cromwell here. I would do two things-one you can give kaopectate vet can advise how much, or peptobismal, but it may be best to let it come out.

For at least the next day, make sure the dog has plenty of liquids to rehydrate and keep her cool. I would then for food give white rice, boiled and mixed with some cooked egg. Just small portions. When the runs clear up I would go back to old food.

Some dogs are allergic to corn, soy and chicken in dog foods, soy is ectremely hard to digest.

I hope this helps. Also don't scold her for accidents-I know you won't but I just have to say that as I am neurotic about it....(LOL)

Oh and I would give boiled water or bottled water. Not tap water.

Love Anne Cromwell
  10. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I have a very small 14 mo old chihuahua. I was told to give he a small amount of pumpkin when she has diarrhea. The kind in the can ( not pie filling).

She didn't like the taste, but I put some chicken baby food on top of it, and she ate enough of it to help.

I believe it does work.

I agree that chaning the food can cause problems. I have started getting my pup switched from puppy food to adult dog food. I have been mixing the two for a couple of weeks now, and I will eventually get her off the puppy food altogether. They say a sudden change can really upset them.

I have also given her boiled chicken mixed with rice when she's had a spell.

I would try several things, then I'd go to the vet if it doesn't improve shortly.

Good luck,

Kinsie
  11. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I give my greyhounds boiled white meat chicken and rice.

I also keep a prescription of Flagyl in the house, when they get the runs.

On a daily basis, I give them a tsp of plain yogurt to keep their intestines in better shape.

Good luck,
    T
  12. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

We have gotten a routine down - this is from 2 doggie health books that I have. At the first sign of trouble, we remove all food for 24, 36 or 48 hours -- water only to let the intestines rest. Then, start with plain white rice, just a little at a time, but every couple of hours. Then, add in boiled chicken with the rice, same thing, small meals, but maybe 4 to 5 a day for a day or two until the stool is firm again, then add the kibble back into the rice and chicken.

We also give her Imodium - which the vet suggested. The books suggest Pepto - when we have used that, she ends up looking like she is wearing pink lipstick.