O/T Estroven vs. Black Cohosh

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tonakay, Nov 3, 2005.

1. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I just quit wearing my estraderm patch a week ago. I've worn one for four years, ever since my total hyter. Anyway, night sweats have hit me already so I'm looking for something natural to take. My cousin says she has good luck with Estroven but I'm wondering how different it is from plain old Black Cohosh since that is what is in Estroven. I don't want to spend any more money than I have to on something.

Any opinions?
    Thankx,
    Tona
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2005]
  2. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not on any thyroid meds so I'll check into the soy pills. Thanks again!
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I took plain Black Cohosh and it helped a lot. Eventually I ws able to go off it and now I don't take anything for Meno. symptoms.

Kathy.
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I use a small amount of Black Cohosh every day (50 mg) and it's amazing how well it works. Here's a recent article about a study published in "Obstetrics and Gynecology" about the safety and effectiveness of Black Cohosh.

Jan

Cool Hot Flashes with Black Cohosh

By Kimberly Beauchamp, ND

Healthnotes Newswire (July 7, 2005)—Confirming the findings of earlier studies, a new study in Obstetrics and Gynecology (2005;105:1074–83) reports that an extract of black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa; Actaea racemosa) is helpful for relieving symptoms associated with menopause.

A woman is considered post-menopausal if one year has elapsed since her last menstrual period, which typically occurs at about age 52. With the approach of menopause, the ovaries begin to produce fewer hormones, particularly estrogen and progesterone. A fall in these hormones causes an increase in the levels of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). Physicians may test the levels of FSH and LH to determine a woman’s menopausal status.

Lower levels of circulating estrogen and progesterone can lead to symptoms that include hot flashes, sleep disturbances, vaginal dryness, discomfort with intercourse, urinary incontinence, joint or muscle aches, dizziness, nervousness, anxiety, depression, memory loss, and heart palpitations. Hormone replacement therapy has been used extensively to treat menopausal symptoms. Recent studies, however, point to the dangers of hormone replacement therapy, including an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, blood clots, dementia, and breast cancer. Because of concern over these negative effects, more women are seeking alternatives for managing menopausal symptoms.

Black cohosh has been used historically to treat arthritis, respiratory ailments, and a variety of female reproductive tract disorders. Over the past 50 years, it has gained popularity as a treatment for menopausal symptoms. In the current study, which evaluated the safety and efficacy of black cohosh, 268 women were assigned to receive either 5 mg of an alcohol extract of black cohosh (equivalent to 40 mg of dried herb) per day or placebo for 12 weeks. Symptoms were assessed at the beginning of the study and again after 4 and 12 weeks of treatment using the Menopause Rating Scale. This scale measures the intensity of symptoms such as hot flashes, mental and emotional dysfunction, cardiac symptoms, joint and muscle complaints, and disorders related to urination and vaginal dryness. Because some recent reports have suggested that black cohosh may cause liver toxicity, liver enzyme levels were also measured.

Compared with placebo, black cohosh significantly relieved menopausal symptoms, particularly hot flashes. The effects of black cohosh were most pronounced among women with lower FSH levels and among women who had gone through menopause more recently compared with those who had been in menopause for longer periods of time. There were no significant differences between the groups with respect to adverse events, and no serious side effects were noted. The use of black cohosh was not associated with elevations in liver enzymes, suggesting that if it does adversely affect liver health, such a reaction is uncommon.

These results suggest that black cohosh is a safe alternative to hormone replacement therapy for the treatment of menopausal symptoms. Other preliminary studies have found that black cohosh may also be useful for preventing age-related bone loss that can lead to osteoporosis.

Copyright © 2005 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved.
  5. tonakay

tonakay New Member

titled... If you are thinking of using intead of HRT

This article is two years old but really puts Black Cohosh in a bad light. I'm thinking the soy pills sound a lot better.

Any other opinions????
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I just read the 2003 article and since then there have been several scientific studies which have convinced most skeptics that when taken in the proper dose (40-50 mg per day) black cohosh causes no liver problems.

They didn't mention in the article how much the patients with elevated liver hormones had been taking, but I know from experience as a nutritional consultant that many people get it in their head that if a little is good, a lot is better. That's where you get into trouble with herbs.

I am extremely sensitive to meds, herbs, etc and have had no problems with black cohosh (my liver function is tested regularly because I have a genetic liver disease). I feel completely safe recommending it to women as long as they agree to take the right dose. Unfortunately the capsules sold in health food stores are 500 mg, 10x the dose. Products like Remifemin can be used instead to be sure the dose isn't exceeded.

I don't tolerate soy or even natural hormones, so this has been my only option and I'm very pleased with the results. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it's certainly worth a try.

Jan
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I noticed that the article was a couple of years old and had wondered if it made a difference. I've got to decide soon, I'm sick of the sweats all night long!
  8. tonakay

tonakay New Member

9. tonakay

tonakay New Member

10. cph13

cph13 Member

It is the same and works wonders. Only needed it for a few months.
    Seems the flashes are starting again 2 years later....strange. but truly save your money and use the black cohash.

As for the liver, all meds have side effects at least this is natural. We all should have a liver panel done yearly if we take any prescribed meds.

My vote is for black cohash hands down

CPH