O.T. GRANDMA'S CURES

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Jan 27, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am not endorsing same. I got this online and have not tried them.
    ======
    *GRANDMA'S CURES*
    Keep this on the Fridge

Did You Know That? Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns. (Also to clean crayola's off walls)

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles. (also keep pesky folks away)

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure...cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters...To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine... a powerful antiseptic.

Heinz vinegar to heal bruises ... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief....It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain. (Beware if your pet likes Oats).

2. sues1

sues1 New Member

I love the old time "cures". Hey, who knows? We might find one for ourselfs.......LOL
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Add the spice ginger to some warm milk for a upset tummy and it will help.

To clean jewlery use tooth paste and a old tooth brush adn scrub the jewlery with the toothpaste and rince with warm water looks great.

For the dry cough make a mastard paster out of dried mustard that is in the can and put it on a peice of cloth and place on the chest of the person who has the cough and it will help the cough to loosen up.

PUt children vicks on your babies chest, front and back, and on their feet , place socks on the feet ,and a undershirt on them, and put the baby in a blanket sleeper and it helps to ease the cold and seems to make it leave sooner.

Chicken soup will help with all kinds of illness's, colds, flu, aches , it will help it all. Canned is OK but Homemade is much better, when you make it you need to add onions and garlic to make it better.

Rosemarie
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks ... these were very interesting.
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I'm going to print them, too!
  6. anyone know of any for urinary tract infections? Besides cranberry juice or capsules? Those make it worse for me.
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

But what if your asthmatic AND allergic to the Muskrat fur?

Are there alternate substitutes? lol

My grandmother's magic cure was 1 shot of Vodka for everyone; to cure everything. Even the dog.

Have a cold? Vodka.
    Have a headache? Vodka.
    Have the chicken pox? Yep, still Vodka.

Oddly enough she never drank a drop of alcohol in her life.

She was a very, VERY old world kind of woman. (old world European, at that) As long as there was a shot glass and Vodka in the house; she never stepped foot in a doctors office or a drug store.

~Amanda
  8. windblade

windblade Active Member

LOL

Georgia and ouch - you are too much! Way wacky - I love it.

Ouch - just saw your profile pic - I'm so sorry you're shrinking.
  9. sues1

sues1 New Member

This group has a wonderful sense of humor. Thanks.

I remembered one that I use myself. If a pet tinkles on your carpet, or upchucks.....clean up and blot as much as you can. Then pour regular household salt over the spot...
    and walk away. When it is dry vaccum it up. Really helps odors, the salt is pourous and absorbs them.

Also if you have hands that smell like onions or something else that offends you........dampened your hand and rub salt on your hands, just as if you are washing them. Get it into the cuticles and under the nails, etc. Rinse then wash with soap and water. Really helps.

10. jaltair

jaltair New Member

<b>Coughing</b> - slice onion in a small bowl and put several teaspoons of sugar over it. The combination will form syrup that doesn't taste half bad and helps relieve coughing.

<b>Sore throat</b> - honey and lemon. To fresh squeezed lemon juice, add just enough honey to make the juice like syrup. Take a spoonful. It will relieve the sore throat.

<b>Heat rash or other rash</b> - fill a tub with water as hot as your wrist can stand. Mix a cup of baking soda in the water and place the child in the bath. Use the cup to pour water over the entire body. If possible, have the child lie down to soak. This will relax the child and will relieve itching. Also works for adults!

<b>Sunburn</b> - Lightly pour or rub white vinegar over the sunburn. This will take pain away and help the burn to heal faster.

<b>For smoother skin</b> - To cleanse and exfoliate your skin, massage handfuls of Epsom Salt over your wet skin, starting with feet and continuing up towards the face. Then, pour two cups of Epsom Salt into a bath of warm water. Sit back and relax. The natural action will soften your skin while easing the kinks and stiffness in your muscles. Use a honey mask afterward - pour a bit of honey into a bowl or cup and using fingers, dab honey over face and rub in lightly. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse off.

<b>First Aid for Splinters, Scrapes and Insect Bites</b>: The concentrated power of a warm Epsom Salt compress draws toxins and sweat away from pores, reducing the swelling of minor bites and scrapes. This drawing action also helps bring splinters to the skin's surface. And a cold Epsom Salt compress can take the sting out of insect bites.

11. sues1

sues1 New Member

Those are really good and seems they should work for many...
    I was just thinking about things I do......one is hairspray really helps remove ink......if on a shirt out a paper towel under the stain part of the material and spray.....take another towel and blot up the ink.

I use inexpensive dishwashing powder to remove stains from clothing.......I pour some in the washer with some bleach, while hot water is coming in.......I have it on the low water cycle......let it mix and swirl around for a minute when the washer starts, so it mixes with the water well. Then add your stained things.......let it wash, after add a little clothing soap.......if really bad, turn washer off before it goes to next cycle and let it set for a good while.
    Later turn washer back on and let it start washing again. really helps, really good on tomato stains.
    A friend told me to use windex to get rid of wasps...spray their nest. She said it was the ammonia that kills them. The effect keeps others from wanting to come back. I guess we could use a bottle sprayer that attached to a hose for higher up........and also staying a safe distance away![This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]

[ advertisement ]