O/T just got my German Sheppard from her foster dad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

on June 24, has anyone adopted a dog/cat and notice that the animal is not wanting to eat?? I know Xena is missing her foster dad, she ate the first night I got her but after that she is not eating very well at all, she'll go to her dish sniff and look at it and walk away..this is the same food she has always been eating, she had a complete check up before she came to me and she is healthy as a horse with the exception that she is 15-20 lbs underweight and this not eating is not helping..is ther anything I can do to help her. any suggestion would be appreciated.

Ann, her pic is in my profile.
  2. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Did you try to mix some meat with it? She will come around.. just needs to gwet use to her new home.

She is beautiful!!! We have a wonderful German Shepard too.
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

What a cutie, and those ears!!

We adopted a german shepherd about nine years ago. She would eat, but she would not do "puddles or piles" as we call them. We literally stared at her for 36 hours thinking she was going to blow up. We called the Vet this went on so long.......

Finally, she released.

She was very apprehensive, we were her fifth owner in her first 2 1/2 years of her life.

Did the foster dad give you any habits she has??? If not, could you call him??? Ask him if they had a routine! If you can adopt the same routine for a few days, until you find your own.

It took about one-two weeks, but Sea-Ra did come around. She had been a wonderful protector of her owners.....EVERYONE has to pass HER inspection.

She is now eleven, and the problem we are having now.........she is "releasing" anytime she feels like it, mostly indoors!

She still is on guard, protecting us, and since we live in the woods, she is a comfort.

German Shephers are so loyal, very smart. She probably needs you very much... our vet has taken great interest in our dog over the years, and she gives us credit for taking a dog with problems and turning her around.

Unfortunately this could not be done without medication as she has SEVERE separation anxiety. We tried to NOT go that route, but it was not helping our Sea-Ra.

Thank you for your big, kind heart in adopting your dog. They are wonderful companions when treated properly. You may have to overcome some "history" with the original owners.

Fondly, June

4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Congratulations!!

Do you leave food down for her all the time?

If you do you might want to stop doing that and just feed her 2 or 3 times a day. Since she is underweight you probably want to feed 3 times.

Call her, put the food in the bowl, put it down in front of her and give her 15 minutes. If she doesn't eat it, put it away.

Picky eaters will usually start eating after they miss two meals. Once they realize that if they don't eat it now, they won't be able to come back to it later they get pretty good at cleaning up!

I only feed mine twice a day (lab and a golden). I call them (although they know when it's meal time!), tell them sit, put the bowls in front of them, and tell them OKAY. They dig right in and it takes less then 5 minutes to clean it all up.

My sister raises seeing eye puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind. They do this also, except they train the puppies to lay down until they are given the ok to eat.

She is a beautiful dog. Best of luck!

Hugzz
    Greenbean