****O.T...Perm gone BAD****

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Feb 13, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am a hair stylist...I have had straight hair now for a long time..Well I decided to do something different with my hair...I had a friend of mine that does hair too give me a perm last night..

I try not to tell her what to do cuz she does this everyday..So I just didn't say anything while she was giving me the perm..Plus I don't want to hurt her feelings.

Well...Big mistake..My hair is soo fried!!! It is curled at the scalp and my ends are just straight frizz!!

I know this sound stupid to some..but I have been bawling all morning..It is just awful! I am very picky about my hair..

I don't even think any treatment will do it any good..that's how bad it is..

Any suggestions???
  2. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I can sure relate to the frizz, happened to me a long time

ago. Do you have long or short hair? Could you trim off

frizzy ends? I did that, plus did the hot oil treatments,

and waited for it to grow out....not a pretty sight for me.

One time I had a friend, who is a hairdresser cut my hair.

Ended up with my hair being only 1 inch long. It took

forever for it to grow out. Good luck to ya... :) nanc
  3. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I have a picture of what it use to look like there..
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

My hair is poker straight and I've been tempted to have a perm lately. However all the perms I've had in the past have been a disaster of some sort so now reading this, I wont bother.

I dont know what you can do except wait for it to grow out, you could try straighteners but you dont want to dry your hair out anymore.

Wish I could help.

love
    Rosie
  5. chickabee

chickabee New Member

wow, your hair was beautiful. I'm sure it will get back to

looking that great again. So glad to hear that your husband

helps you out alot. That really helps. I also love flowers

and working in flower gardens. My mom (who is 93) has

always had beautiful flower gardens. I've had to help her

quite a lot with the planting and weeding. She enjoys them

as much as I do. Wishing you all the best. nanc

6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I couldn't take it anymore..I called my fried and she came in a brought me a treatment to do on it..

I don't think it is going to help much..

I just wish I would've never got it..To late now though..

Thanks for all your suggestions..
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

sheryld ... I think just about every woman has gone through this sort of disaster .. it really makes us crazy .. I know you guys are pro hair people and you have ideas on what to do .. but the suggestion of trimming is a good one .. because it is so damaged ..
    I use "Infusium" spray leave in treatment .. and it does help a lot.

Hope you calm down and feel better soon .. it will grow out !
    Fudge : )
  8. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I was a hairdresser many years ago too, so I can relate.

I always gave myself perms because no one would listen to me. When I told them that my hair did not show a test curl, they didn't believe me.

Well....I was fried a time or two before I realized that I have to tackle the job myself even though it's not easy.

As far as crying about your damaged hair - Boy, can I relate to that. Doesn't it make you feel awful?

Since you're knowledgable about hair, you'll be able to do some "fixing" to make it look better while it grows out.

Good Luck,

Kinsie
  9. Manina

Manina New Member

Hi Sheryl, Im a Cheryl too! and was a hairdresser also.
    My sugesstion is to take some wella colestrol and some cold wave perm, mix it together to the consistancy of yogurt and very carfuly come thru your hair keeping it straight with a big! wide tooth colmb.Then you will need to trim the ends.

When I still did hair,,, my hair was long and straight, I did the same thing as you!
    But my hair fell out about a quarter inch around my hairline and various other places.

Come to find out I was allgergic to the heat activated perms, so many people are!
    It too some years later for me to learn doooo a cold wave only they are so much softer and not as drying.

After all the frying of my hair the first time I found out I had Sarcoidosis in the form of granulosis.
    This is was very prevelent in hairdressers of my time 70's.

Good Luck

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

SORRY YOU LOOK LIKE A FILM STAR ON YOUR BIO. WHAT A SHAME YOU WENT CURLY! I AM A BLONDE TOO AND HERE IS MY STORY

WELL, I ONCE HAD A PERM WHEN I WAS TEACHING 17 YEAR OLD BOYS, AND I LOOKED LIKE HARPO MARX. THE BOYS SPENT ABOUT A WEEK JUST WEARING FLOPPY HATS AND WHISTLING LIKE HARPO AND MAKING FUN OF ME. IN THE END I HAD IT STRAIGHTENED AT A SALON FOR BLACK PEOPLE'S HAIR WHERE THEY HAD THIS TECHNIQUE THAT THEY HAD PERFECTED THAT WORKED VERY WELL.

GOOD LUCK
    ANNE C.
  11. lolee

lolee New Member

My youngest son's father is black so he REALLY got screwed! LOL!!!

Anyway, I know you are a stylist . . .but, from someone who who knows, ie: went in one time to get hair relaxed down to more of a body wave and came out like a LSD acid dropping poodle . . . .
    Infusion like stated above is the #1 place to start they have different formulas, use the anti-frizz one, they have it at wal-mart, most longs, and some sav-ons, but not Vons . . . .

wash hair, of course I would just wet hair in shower I wouldn't use shampoo for a while, towel/pat hair a little dry, soak hair with the infusiam, wrapp up in towel let dry.

You should not need any gel, mousse or anything.

When mostly dry, say just damp, shape in to place, I use little girls teeny-tiny hair clips so that I can use all over and they look so foo-foo and can be used to "put" hair where I want it.

do this everyday and it will VERY soon relax out!!!

Good luck!!
    WE still love you and think you are PURTY!!!!

Love,

Lolee
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have fine and straight hair. I do get it colored professionally every 2 months. Also my hair is oily and a bit on the thin side.

I can't stand the odor of a perm. If I go into the shop and someone is getting a perm, it almost drives me crazy.

I just prefer my hair straight and I flip it up on the ends.

I hope that you or someone will be able to help you with your hair. I hope you don't lose any of it. You know what to do, since you are a hair stylist.

I realize you are talking about 3 to 4 months to have it looking better.
    I think I'd be crying too. I'm really funny about my hair. Finally my stylist has gotten the right cut and color. Only took 3 years... lol

I wish I had some helpful suggestions, but I wouldn't know what to do but to wait and wash it everyday.

Hugs,
    Faye
  13. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I couldn't take it this morning..I did a treatment on it and use some new gel..That tamed downt the frizzz...

BUT.. The problem is...It is curly at the scalp and straight on the ends...

I know she didn't get enough perm solution on it..To late now...LOL

I am using some really good shampoo and conditioner..so it should be ok as far as the fried goes..(maybe). Then when I get to my supply store I am going to get some more treatments to do on it..

I did the treatment..then gooped it up with gel..then I had to curl it all over..The thing I was trying to avoid!!LOL

I am not going to cut it..I have been growing it for a long time..Plus it will not do any good...I would have to buzz it all off and start over..That's not going to happen..LOL

2painful4words ...When I highlight peoples hair..I use the lightest ash blond with 40 volume peroxide. I weave it in with hightlight papers..leave it on for about 50 min...I have taught my sister in law to highlight my hair so she does it for me..When you use it that way it ends up a more naturaly look..I hate really white or yellow highlights..I think you said yours is orange?? What is you natural color?? Were you trying to highlight it??

Thank you for all of your suggestions!! I just might have to try the infusium!!LOL I don't normally use otc hair product...but at this point I would try anything!!

SherylD
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

I had a bad perm done, too, at my regular shop. I don't know what happened, but she ended up combing just pain perm solution through my hair to straighten it.

Years and years ago, before we had "city water", I had my duaghter highlight my hair with one of the OTC highlight kits from WalMart. We had well water at that time and never thought about the rust in it! Well, you guessed it, after rinising it well in our water, my hair turned out to be highlighted orange!!! LOL

Needless to say, I had to call off work the next day--use a vacation day to go to the salon to get it fixed!

Hope you find a product to fix that beautiful blond hair of yours!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would go to another hairdresser asap and have them do some conditioning treatments. They may need to trim the ends and keep conditioning it.

I am so sorry, it is not being picky to be upset over this. Just curious, what did your friend say when she saw what happened to your hair?

There is a conditioner called "Cholesteral" it is sold in jars at most drug stores. Pack alot on and put a warm moist towel on your head, leave on for hour and then rinse out.

Then try rolling your hair in large smooth rollers, it might smoothe it out a little.

A professional hairdresser might be able to apply something to stop the damage.
  16. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for the advice..I am a professional hair stylist..That is what bothers me so bad..I have never seen a perm take like this before..

I have a ton of curl for about 2 inches out from the scalp and then it is pretty much straight frizz..

I called my friend...who is a prfessional hair stylist too..she came in a broght me some treatment to put on my hair and gave me some different gel than I had..And said she didn't think it looked to bad...Of course she is not going to tell me it looks like crap...LOL

The point of a perm is to not have to work so much at doing your hair...Well it took me way longer to do it yesterday..I had to really curl it all..

Thanks everybody for listening to my hair delema...I just really stinks that my hair is such a mess..Very depressing.

17. lmr422

lmr422 New Member

I've had many perms over the years. One particular time was very, very bad. My hair was very fried looking with many, many split ends. It was nasty. I used alot of conditioner, and the stylist I went to afterwards suggested I use some sort of Nexus Assure conditioner as a leave-in conditioner.
    Basically I guess you could say I just conditioned the hell out of it. Once the ends got trimmed off, it was better and got better with each cut.
    I used to get perms all the time. I was convinced by many stylists that this was the only way for my hair to look good. For the past three or four years I have only had one perm, and have had great cuts and my hair looks nice. And it's healthy.
    So trim, condition, trim, condition and before you know it you'll be back to ok again.
    Lisa
  18. SherylD

SherylD Guest

The hair is still crappy today..I talked to another friend that does hair..And is pondering on what I should do..

We might just starighten it...and start over..Not sure yet..I am going to talk to the people at my supply place and see what they recommend.

You could just get one the kits at the store to do hightlights..You just need to make sure it is a ash color..and make sure you don't take it off to early..Or you will get orange..

You said you were a mousey brown(i think)..Anyways it has to get past the red..and orange..then get to the blond stages..Ash is blue color and fights the orange..

You could always get a perm..The new look is curly at the scalp and staright on the ends..LOL..Oh and spend half of the day curling it..LOL