O/T Question about blood pressure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jul 18, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I have been feeling really tired and draggy feeling last few days. Probably cause I'm exhausted. Anyway, I decided to check my blood pressure and it has been low.

I know high blood pressure is dangerous, but what about low? It has been as low as 97 over 57. One time it was 99 over 64. It is fluctuating a lot.

The highest it has been is 114 ober 68. Maybe this is from being exhausted. Does anyone know if this pressure is something to be concerned with?

2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Hi Kriket,

I don't know about the low pressure, it does not seem like it is a good thing to be too low...97over57 does sound low...I hope you go and check it out with the doctor...I have high BP and that is not good, so too low I'm thinking is not good either...maybe some one knows and will post...
    Let us know what you find out..

Take care,
    Cindy
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I got this from medline plus. What is your normal pressure? It's always good to know so it will give you an idea if there are changes. According to this info below, your pressure is within normal range. But it also said fluctuations of 20 can cause problems for some. Maybe this info can give you an idea of a probable cause, like dehydration for ex. which seems to be common in FM.

I hope you get to feel better, fatigue is a drag, and warm weather can do a number on me anyway!

Hypotension; Low blood pressure

Low blood pressure is an abnormal condition in which a person's blood pressure (the pressure of the blood against the walls of the blood vessels during and after each beat of the heart) is much lower than usual. It can cause symptoms such as dizziness or lightheadedness.

Considerations

When the blood pressure is too low, there is inadequate blood flow to the heart, brain, and other vital organs.

A blood pressure level that is borderline low for one person may be normal for another. The most important factor is how the blood pressure changes from the normal condition. Most normal blood pressures fall in the range of 90/60 mm Hg to 130/80 mm Hg, but a significant change, even as little as 20 mm Hg, can cause problems for some people.

Common Causes

Low blood pressure is commonly caused by drugs such as:

Medications used for surgery
    Anti-anxiety agents
    Treatment for high blood pressure or coronary heart disease (CHD)
    Diuretics
    Heart medicines
    Some antidepressants
    Narcotic analgesics
    Alcohol
    Other causes of low blood pressure include:

Dehydration
    Heart failure
    Heart attack
    Changes in heart rhythm (arrhythmias)
    Fainting
    Anaphylaxis (a life-threatening allergic response)
    Shock (from severe infection, stroke, anaphylaxis, major trauma, or heart attack)
    Advanced diabetes
    Another common type of low blood pressure is orthostatic hypotension, which is brought on by a sudden change in body position, usually when shifting from lying down to standing upright.

Home Care

Follow prescribed therapy. Bed rest and assistance with daily activities as needed until the condition improves.

Call your health care provider if

Call your local emergency number (such as 911) if someone is unconscious. If trained in basic life support (BLS) or advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), check the person's ABCs (airway, breathing, and circulation). If the person is NOT breathing or has NO pulse, begin CPR.

Call your doctor immediately if you:

Feel dizzy, lightheaded, or faint
    Have black or maroon stools
    Have chest pain, shortness of breath, an irregular heartbeat, fever higher than 101 degrees, headache, stiff neck, or severe upper back pain
    Also call your doctor if you have:

Cough with phlegm
    Prolonged diarrhea or vomiting
    Inability to eat or drink
    Burning with urination or other urinary symptoms
    You are taking any new medications

What to expect at your health care provider's office Return to top

In emergencies, the seriousness of the condition will be determined first. Then, the health care provider will obtain your medical history and will perform a physical examination.

Frequent monitoring of vital signs (temperature, pulse, rate of breathing, blood pressure) and/or hospitalization may be necessary.

Medical history questions documenting low blood pressure may include the following:

What is your normal blood pressure?
    What medications do you take?
    Have you been eating and drinking normally?
    Have you have any recent illness, accident, or injury?
    What other symptoms are also present?
    Did you faint or become less alert?
    Do you feel dizzy or light-headed when standing or sitting after lying down?
    Diagnostic tests that may be performed include the following:

Blood studies (such as CBC, blood differential)
    Cultures
    ECG
    Urinalysis
    X-ray of the abdomen
    X-ray of the chest

4. kriket

kriket New Member

the last couple of days it's been 103-104 degrees, but I have stayed inside. Normally, my b/p is around 120 over 80 or right around there.

I take toprol a beta blocker for fast heart rate. I have been taking it for about 4-5 yrs. and my blood pressure is usually regulated.

I am keeping a record of it and trying to check it about 5 times a day. If it continues to stay low, guess I should give my cardiologist a call. Thanks for all the info.